WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 10-14-2004, 06:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ok, I know how this topic could get out of hand, but what the heck...

We know the story: The Ozzies built a great car and Lutz grabbed it. He made some changes, called it a Pontiac, and we have the "GTO". The question is, of those changes, which ones were an improvement to the car (if any)? Which ones do the Ozzies lust after now? I can think of several changes that were bad for the car, like the trunk space and the front facia. A good change is the fact (I think) that we get the car cheaper over here.

Does anyone have a factual pro/con list for the Holden/Pontiac transformation attempt?
Old 10-14-2004, 06:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We know the story: The Ozzies built a great car and Lutz grabbed it. He made some changes, called it a Pontiac, and we have the "GTO". The question is, of those changes, which ones were an improvement to the car (if any)? Which ones do the Ozzies lust after now? I can think of several changes that were bad for the car, like the trunk space and the front facia. A good change is the fact (I think) that we get the car cheaper over here.

Does anyone have a factual pro/con list for the Holden/Pontiac transformation attempt?
Old 10-15-2004, 02:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 455HOGT37:

Does anyone have a factual pro/con list for the Holden/Pontiac transformation attempt? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since they build more "GTO"'s than Monaro's, the production for 05 went over to GTO specs. It will help down time with shift changes, lower the costs, etc.
Those were major changes. I think they will be happy if they get the LS2.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well from an overall project management perspective, that makes sense. What I am talking about is the specifications of the two products. If the specs are the same for 05, who gets the better product? Do the consumers in Oz loose the trunk, for instance?
Old 10-15-2004, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 455HOGT37:
Well from an overall project management perspective, that makes sense. What I am talking about is the specifications of the two products. If the specs are the same for 05, who gets the better product? Do the consumers in Oz loose the trunk, for instance? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, they get a few more options too though. You can go to Holden's website through www.gm.com and build a Monaro and compare the Monaro to the GTO as far as options. But yes, they adopted the GTO fuel system, scooped hood, exhaust, and probably the LS2.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:58 PM

OK.

What you get that we don't:
LS2
Louder exhaust - no resonator (not legal here)
Twin port front (you can keep it - most Aussies are with Simcoe on the restyle)
GTO Badging (HSV here has a 'GTO' that is a little different so that is confusing)
Storm grey (appears different to Oz market Cyclone

What we get in the '05 that you don't:
Dualzone climate control
Side/head airbags
autodim rearview mirror
18" wheels
235/40/18ZR Bridgestone Potenza tyres (no speed limiter on ours, 170mph top speed)
resonator in the exhaust
LS1 - power/torque up to '04 GTO standards (cam) incl. FBW throttle
8-way power 3-memory driver seat
Turismo blue colour (no great loss to you IMO)
An extra about $US10K in price

The memory driver seat with airbag is likely not fitted to the GTO becasue the airbag isn't certified for US. Holden crash testing showed most curtain airbags do 4/5ths of F@ck-all in a crash due to limited time to deploy in a side-on and movement of occupants. So the Holden version springs out as a side airbag, and if the occupant weight squeezes it into the side of the car, inflates a head-protector out the top to prevent head-side contact.

This apparently is not kosher in the US.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
8-way power 3-memory driver seat
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Must be nice. 1 - Me, 2 - Wife, 3 - Get the freakin kids in the back!