WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 01-07-2005, 11:48 AM

I am surprised I didn't see any discussion of this 3 way comparison in Motor trend. Feb. edition. Seemed like a fair comparison.
The winner was the CTS-V, Then the Hemi powered 300 and the GTO was last. It was a pretty good comparison I thought.

The only advantage the GTO has is price.

Exclusive of price the V is the better car. 4 doors, lots more features (20K worth? maybe).
Surprising how a big of a car the 300 is and how it still handles and brakes very well.
I know many here think a 2 door is better but your in the minority of car buyers. I will always go for a 4 door over a 2 door every time. More room, easier to get in and out. More practical.

I looked at buying a V and also looked at the GTO. But I really don't care about the 1/4 mile acceleration. I looked at the whole package. The GTO was lacking in many things that were important to me. Not to mention dealers that would not even let me test drive it. I know if I had to have a car with 350/400hp I would of bought the V. Oh and I think the V is awesome looking car, best of the bunch, looks agressive just sitting still.

Nobody reads Motor Trend?
Old 01-07-2005, 11:48 AM

I am surprised I didn't see any discussion of this 3 way comparison in Motor trend. Feb. edition. Seemed like a fair comparison.
The winner was the CTS-V, Then the Hemi powered 300 and the GTO was last. It was a pretty good comparison I thought.

The only advantage the GTO has is price.

Exclusive of price the V is the better car. 4 doors, lots more features (20K worth? maybe).
Surprising how a big of a car the 300 is and how it still handles and brakes very well.
I know many here think a 2 door is better but your in the minority of car buyers. I will always go for a 4 door over a 2 door every time. More room, easier to get in and out. More practical.

I looked at buying a V and also looked at the GTO. But I really don't care about the 1/4 mile acceleration. I looked at the whole package. The GTO was lacking in many things that were important to me. Not to mention dealers that would not even let me test drive it. I know if I had to have a car with 350/400hp I would of bought the V. Oh and I think the V is awesome looking car, best of the bunch, looks agressive just sitting still.

Nobody reads Motor Trend?
Old 01-07-2005, 12:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't get the GTO in that comparison, where is the Ford 500?

The CTS-V is great the STS-V is amazing.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm no fan of the GM Monaro but I don't get that either. Isn't the 300 considered a large luxury vehicle as opposed to an all out performance vehicle ?
Old 01-07-2005, 01:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 65's:
"...Not to mention dealers that would not even let me test drive it. (QUOTE]

"Let" you test drive it...yeah the dealers were a joke. They acted like this car was some sort of an exotic, elusive supercar. Give me a break!!! Making a prospective buyer schedule a test drive on a car they practically had to give away was a sound marketing strategy right out of the Beavis and LutzHead Brainiac handbook.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

TWO reasons why I didn't buy the V. No 2 door option and no auto trans available. I love that car though. The 300, while a nice vehicle, is just not my taste.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:27 PM

I love the CTS-V also, but they are $70-75K Canadian. Can't even get a GTO up here due to them not meeting the crash tests.

I like the Dodge Magnum wagon, but after sitting inside one I would think they are hard to back up due to the small rear windows and huge blind spots. The 300 is nice, but I'm not crazy about the huge grill. No prices yet on the SRT-8 425hp Magnum or 300. Anyone heard?

An AWD Magnum SRT-8 would be cool. RWD is not great in our climate up north.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

39,995 is the price the mags are quoting, but only 10,000 are scheduled to be built so we all know what that means.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:30 PM
Senior Chief

That has got to be the most asanine comparison I've ever heard of, the three cars are targeted at totally different market segments. Now if it were STSv, 300 Hemi and Bonneville GXP, I would see the likeness. I guess next they will compare the Solctice, Vette and GT40.

As for schedualing test drives in the Goat, that was never a problem here, unless you were 16 and brought 3 friends.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:10 PM

Schedule a test drive? I had to buy it before I could drive it. That dealer originally had a $5000 mark up, then it went down to $3000 and then they took off the mark up. I don't know if its still there. But it had sat for at least 7-8 months. May still be there. I'm going to check.

I think the comparison was that all 3 were 400/425 hp cars, rear wheel drive, a performance orientated car if you want.

Pont3, The reasons you wouldn't buy a V are the exact opposite reasons I would, I want 4 doors and a manual tranny. Also I think the 300 is due for 2-3K gas guzzler tax. Just because its limited production does not mean it will be able to sell for a premium price. Ultimately the market will decide. Good example is the GTO.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:59 PM

This comparison makes little sense to me. Both of the other cars were *considerably* more money - one would expect them to have *some* advantage over GTO, just as the GTO certainly has its advantages over, say, the G6GT. $ for $ there just isn't a better buy than the '04 GTO, & with the $ you save you can tweak it to smoke the other 2, & IMHO have a much better looking car!
Old 01-07-2005, 10:26 PM

O.k let`s see if I understand the comparison,the CTS-v is $51,295,the 300C is $43,295 and the GTO $34,280, enough said.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fastgirl:
O.k let`s see if I understand the comparison,the CTS-v is $51,295,the 300C is $43,295 and the GTO $34,280, enough said. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>And the GTO only has 2 doors as some of us prefer.