67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

the crimp looks same as the factory ones
the appearance of the new clamps I have arent quite the same but they look a whole lot better than the wormdrive clamps.
I have a NOS ps hose kit that still has the OEMs so if you can find one of those youll have some.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used my original pinch clamps again. I managed to get them off by using a small screwdriver and spreading at the pinch. I reinstalled by taking a tile nibbler and ground the inside of the nibbler a bit thinner. This worked out great and after the second attempt, no leaks!

Old 12-21-2007, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun
Bjorn, I hear ya! I guess I was just a bit disappointed in that Ames Performance is a Pontiac only resto house, so I highly doubt they have even 100 orders a day, as opposed to Summit or jeg's, which probably have 1000-2000 orders a day (just guessing here). I've seen other local resto houses around me that deal in Chevy parts, and they usually have 1 picker, or sometimes the order taker doubles as a picker. I'm sure Ames works the same way, and an outfit as large as Classic Industries probably has 2 or 3 pickers.

The problem here is with the supplier. It's obvious this p/s colling line supplier has major problems with the quality (and packaging) of this p/s line. When Ames, CI, or even PY has a part returned that has a defect, they should be checking their shelves! I hate to be pessimistic about this, but I believe what happens is that when a vendor gets a return, they simply return the part to their parts bin for the next unlucky customer.

I guess we've all heard the standard "Gee, we've never had a complaint about this part before", but I've experienced (and have observed) dozens and dozens of examples of vendors pushing defective parts out to their customers because the supplier is out of business, so the vendor has to eat the cost of the part. They pass it on the the customer. Some of the defective parts may get returned, but some may not. Eventually, all the defective parts will be sold.

Remember, most of the parts we see for our old cars are not produced in "Edelbrock-like" assembly plants. Most of our parts come from some guy's basement or garage, where they tool up a batch of 50 at a time, then sell to a supply house. If a part is defective, the vendor has little chance getting the supplier to take the defective units back, and tool up new ones. These are small time operators.
sorry , just back to this topic..

Mr Gasket had MANY mismarked T levers for valve covers, I bought a set a few yrs ago, tried to install, just to find out the size was wrong...
I scratched my head , because the size on the package was right, but wrong items inside..this was Chevy size...I took them back to the store (Competition sales), they ordered me a new set , since I had bought the last one...next day..."its in"!
I go there , it looks wrong ,we open the package, same wrong size...they called their warehouse ,had personell go thru the others , yes, they were all wrong, mispackaged from factory...
can you imagine how many?? and how many people got the wrong part!?

I ended up buying another manufacturers T bolts

http://FirstGenFirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=221

breathe and enjoy it , life is temporary

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 02-07-2024, 11:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ghost thread revival

Came upon a 69 400 Bird 4spd for sale.
No PHS at the moment , but high option content.
Base engine or HO is unknown at the moment.
No AC

What would cause this car to have power steering cooler lines ?
Is it an HO standard equipment feature ?
Or axle ratio standard equipment - meaning it might have performance axle option ?

Old 02-07-2024, 11:51 PM

I owned a 1969 400 coupe with the standard 330 hp 400, 4-speed, air conditioning with power steering and power disc brakes, with a 3.23 open rear. It was equipped with the power steering cooler tubing loop.

The car had the complete original drivetrain still intact along with the original Palladium Silver paint and black vinyl top and black standard interior with manual windows.

Old 02-08-2024, 09:06 AM

Hi Baron,

As a general rule, I'd expect to see the power steering cooler line on 69 Firebirds equipped with the 400HO/RAIII or RAIV
Also, have seen several nice original 350HO 69 Firebirds that had it.
I'm sure many exceptions to this exist. Get the PHS to know for sure which drivetrain the car was originally equipped with
Steve

Old 02-08-2024, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think I remember seeing the cooling line on a 69 GP,must have something to do with the gear ratios of the car?Tom

Old 02-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Senior Chief

I believe it is rpm/ rear axle ratio related also. 69 FB Sprint 6/Manual has the cooler also.