Tri-Power Tech 57-66 Tri-Power Talk

Old 04-17-2014, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Reason for the larger Tri-power in 1966?

It's common knowledge that Pontiac used a larger center carb on the 66 tri-power, vs the 59-65 TP's. Obviously the 66 unit flowed slightly more cfm. But what was the reason for the change from 1965 to 1966? The 389 & 421 engines between the two years were basically identical, with the same horsepower rating.
The engineering dept must have had a reason to make the change. Anyone know?

66 GTO, 495, M22, Strange S-60 w/4.10
Sold new at Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUHC-Z8xhtg
Old 04-18-2014, 12:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My guess is that they didn't want to continue to make two different sizes - commonality of parts. B/T/W, I don't think there is an appreciable difference in the flow of a '65-'66 tri-power as the throttle bore of the '65 is either the same size or larger than the '66.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:42 AM
Senior Chief

Good question. I'll be following the responses. I run the 66 tripower, and have learned here that the 65 center carb venturi is larger than the 66 center carb and flows higher cfm's. And as stated, engineers design for a reason.

Joe

Old 04-18-2014, 07:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

According to this thread, http://http://forums.maxperformancei...66+cfm+Venturi , even though the 66 Venturi is smaller than the 65, the 66 center carb flows more air due to the larger openings at the inlet and outlet.

I speculate that the reason for the change to the larger center carb in 1966 could have been because the engineers knew that in 1967 larger engines were on the way,(400, 428), with better flowing heads. So maybe they made the intake for that reason, not knowing that GM would pull the plug on multiple-carb engines after 1966. I see no reason to retool a new manifold for 66, when the engines were the same as the previous year, unless there were shortcomings of the 65 manifold that the engineers were aware of.

66 GTO, 495, M22, Strange S-60 w/4.10
Sold new at Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUHC-Z8xhtg
Old 04-18-2014, 09:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's called keepin up with the competition, as in a Olds!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 04-18-2014, 10:18 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Taylor View Post
My guess is that they didn't want to continue to make two different sizes - commonality of parts. B/T/W, I don't think there is an appreciable difference in the flow of a '65-'66 tri-power as the throttle bore of the '65 is either the same size or larger than the '66.
Agree with Jim but want to adjust his post slightly:

The 65 base uses a smaller throttle blade size vs the 66.

The carburetor venturi (which sets the air flow of the carb) was the same or larger on the 65 carb vs the 66 carb. The air horn on the 66 carb (larger) made a slight difference in flow which probably offset the difference in the carbs too.

Tom Vaught.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

I read in a High Perfromance Pontiac article, here recently, that Pontiac toyed with the idea of trying to keep the tripower setup by making a common baseplate for the three 2G carbs to mount to, to stay in compliance with the "No multi carb" edict from the management wheels in charge.....

No, I don't believe everything I read In car magazines...

IF, it's true, I wonder if any of those carbs, where ever tooled up, or if it was just on paper????

What were the differences in CFM between 65 and 66?

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 04-18-2014, 02:30 PM
Boost Engineer

Malcolm McKeller had a 62-63 Pontiac 421 Overhead Camshaft engine in his car (given to him on his retirement by Pontiac) that had a "single base" Tri-Power carb set-up on it.

So they looked at it before 1962. Tri-Power for Pontiacs went away in 1966 (as we know) but GM continued with Tri-Power on the corvette using Holley carbs.

Single base would have made installation (on the line) easier (Linkage, fuel lines, mounting as an assembly to the manifold) according to MaLcolm (when I asked him, MAY HE REST IN PEACE).

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:41 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Malcolm McKeller had a 62-63 Pontiac 421 Overhead Camshaft engine in his car (given to him on his retirement by Pontiac) that had a "single base" Tri-Power carb set-up on it.

So they looked at it before 1962. Tri-Power for Pontiacs went away in 1966 (as we know) but GM continued with Tri-Power on the corvette using Holley carbs.

Single base would have made installation (on the line) easier (Linkage, fuel lines, mounting as an assembly to the manifold) according to MaLcolm (when I asked him, MAY HE REST IN PEACE).

Tom Vaught
The orders from upper GM management was for no more multiple carbs on "passenger" cars. While the Corvette could/did carry a passenger, it was considered by management to be a "sports" car. Therefore the order from management didn't apply.