Tri-Power Tech 57-66 Tri-Power Talk

Old 02-20-2016, 08:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Trying to get 66 Tripower correct

I have some pics here of my 66 tripower for a 4 spd car with ram air. Been going through it trying to get it as correct as possible. I've had this for about 23 years, had initially wanted to put it on my 67. That'll probably never happen, so I decided to keep it on my bench in the garage. Makes an awesome conversation piece Anyway, the carbs I believe are correct, they have the proper 66 cast marks, etc. There's a couple things I'm not sure of:

The bolt that holds the throttle cable clamp: I have it as a JH with three has marks on the head. Not sure if this is correct.
The bolt that holds the throttle bracket to the center carb: I have an "L" bolt on there, not sure if its correct.
The bolt that clamps the fuel filter in the bracket: I have an "L" bolt on there.
The bolt that holds the throttle cable bracket to the intake: I have a "P" bolt on there.

My throttle slider is a repro, would love to find an original in nice shape. My air cleaner lids are also repro. I know the carbs are plated different colors, and I'm OK with that.

If I could get some help on the bolting mentioned above, I would appreciate it. Also, if there's anything else on this that doesn't look right, please let me know. Thank you for your help.

Last edited by Jason67; 03-31-2016 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Can anybody help me out on the bolt markings? Anything else look blatantly wrong that I should fix?

Old 02-27-2016, 05:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've seen many original Tripower setups with original hardware on the throttle tower & linkage. There is no consistency of head markings on the bolts you refer to. There is consistency of bolt & screw head type (Phillips or hex or recessed head), but not markings on the heads. Regarding the fuel filter bolt & nut, those also vary from car to car, car plant to car plant.

My goal is similar to yours--if you're restoring your car, doing it right is usually just as easy as doing it wrong, so why not do it right? On the four bolts you mention, however, do you really think anyone would know if they're the right head markings?

When my '64 was judged for GTOAA Concours class, not one mention was made of any of the bolt heads. They were concerned with casting numbers, paint quality & color, body panel alignment, carb tag numbers, dirt or oil on undercarriage, etc. I was dinged for items I knew were wrong, such as radial tires and HO exhaust manifolds, but still managed gold.

Our associations have not gotten as ridiculous as the Corvette organization that deducted points for the power steering fluid not being red like the original Dexron in '66.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	'64 GTO at Dayton 001.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	422147  

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 02-27-2016, 05:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Let's see some pictures of your completed Tripower. It's a lot easier to critique pictures of a complete Tripower than a description of your questions.

Here are a couple of '66's that I've almost finished restoring. Can you find the "non-correct" items?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2353.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	422148   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2351.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	422149  

'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 02-27-2016, 07:13 PM
Suspended

Jason the only thing I could pick out was the nut & bolt that holds the throttle cable to the bracket. That should be a self tapping bolt that goes in from the outside going through the clamp to the bracket,,, it should be the self tapping bolt/screw not a bolt with a nut holding the bracket. As far as the blot on the fuel filter the pic you have doesn't show a good enough angle but it appears to be OK. But the nut & bolt holding the clamp to the throttle bracket is wrong.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
Let's see some pictures of your completed Tripower. It's a lot easier to critique pictures of a complete Tripower than a description of your questions.

Here are a couple of '66's that I've almost finished restoring. Can you find the "non-correct" items?
Thanks for your help, I appreciate it. I guess if we're talking 66, the color of the second intake pic I wrong, the choke pull off is not correct either (supposed to be yellow both sides??), looks like maybe the wrong filter bracket part number, no spring on idle adjustment lever? I mean honestly, I don't know that's why I was asking, if I'm wrong correct me. Cant see the fitting for the power brake (if it has it on the first one) on the front carb, or the fitting for the vac advance. Original gaskets for the carb to air cleaner ( or in my case ram air) were tan right???, yours aren't. Not trying to tear yours apart, just stating what I think was correct. Am I wrong? Isnt this the place to find out?

As for bolting, you don't think the factory used certain head marks for original equipment? I wanted to know what guys had with originals used. Would've been nice for the replies because a lot guys have them, and if they are "TR", "RWB", "WB", etc, I want to know. I don't care about judges at shows, I want to know what the orignals had because I care. If they used all of the above, cool. If not, what were they?

Again, that's for your help

Old 02-27-2016, 10:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason67 View Post

The bolt that holds the throttle cable clamp: I have it as a JH with three has marks on the head. Not sure if this is correct.
The bolt that holds the throttle bracket to the center carb: I have an "L" bolt on there, not sure if its correct.
The bolt that clamps the fuel filter in the bracket: I have an "L" bolt on there.
The bolt that holds the throttle cable bracket to the intake: I have a "P" bolt on there.

If I could get some help on the bolting mentioned above, I would appreciate it. Also, if there's anything else on this that doesn't look right, please let me know. Thank you for your help.
My 66 unit has the following,

1) Throttle cable clamp bolt - mine has three spaced lines with some sort of a number in the middle.
2) Throttle bracket at center carb bolt is an "L5"
3) Fuel filter clamp bolt is also an "L5"
4) Throttle cable bracket on intake has a "P"

Yellow throttle return springs are for 64-65
Light Blue return springs are 66-67

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:

Oh, and the idle vent doesn't look right on the second pic. Did they have several set ups for that? Again, not sure, but would like to know. Thank you, Jason.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sstuff View Post

1) Throttle cable clamp bolt - mine has three spaced lines with some sort of a number in the middle.

Awesome, thank you, I do appreciate the help! Jason.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
Jason the only thing I could pick out was the nut & bolt that holds the throttle cable to the bracket. That should be a self tapping bolt that goes in from the outside going through the clamp to the bracket,,, it should be the self tapping bolt/screw not a bolt with a nut holding the bracket. As far as the blot on the fuel filter the pic you have doesn't show a good enough angle but it appears to be OK. But the nut & bolt holding the clamp to the throttle bracket is wrong.
Thank you, I appreciate your input. Honestly, I thought the self tapping started in 67 for the 4 bbl, may be wrong, but that's why I'm putting it out there. Thanks Rex, Jason.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:

My complete tripower pics are in post #1, that's why I asked Thanks again, Jason.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:

The brake vacuum line end was originally clamped to the bracket that went under the valve cover bolt, correct? And they used special crimp clamps?

Old 02-28-2016, 11:23 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I do not have flame arrestors with the foam filters, that's probably an issue? Does anyone make repro flame arrestors or have originals for sale? My center carb stud is correct, but the end carbs use a longer stud for the RA pan. Not sure what the original RA studs looked like, probably like Hen's teeth Thank you.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:

On the throttle clamp bolt, does the center of the bolt head seemed "dished" or shallower than the outer edge of the bolt? If so, I bet that's a WB bolt with the three hash marks around it. The WB was kind of connected, like the "B" was part of the last line of the "W". Thank you 60sstuff for putting the bolt head info out there. Jason.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
On the throttle clamp bolt, does the center of the bolt head seemed "dished" or shallower than the outer edge of the bolt? If so, I bet that's a WB bolt with the three hash marks around it. The WB was kind of connected, like the "B" was part of the last line of the "W". Thank you 60sstuff for putting the bolt head info out there. Jason.
I have other 66 Tri-Power pics in different threads, plus here are a few OEM bolts on my unit plus the Correct Blue Spring.

Note - Tri-powers with Automatic (such as mine) always had the "throttle cable clamp bolt" going inward towards the last carb with lock nut on inside. Mechanical linkage went the opposite!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	!66 OEM Bolts.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	422215   Click image for larger version

Name:	!66 OEM Bolts (2).jpg
Views:	111
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	422216   Click image for larger version

Name:	!66 OEM Bolts (1).jpg
Views:	104
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	422217   Click image for larger version

Name:	!66 OEM Bolts (3).jpg
Views:	95
ID:	422218   Click image for larger version

Name:	!66 OEM Bolts (4).jpg
Views:	110
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	422219  

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
Self tapping bolt was introduced in 1967.

64-65-66 all used a threaded bolt with a lock nut.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	!66 YR Engine.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	422221  

Last edited by 60sstuff; 02-28-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:59 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Self tapping bolt was introduced in 1967.

64-65-66 all used a threaded bolt with a lock nut.
Agree! So is the bracket he has a repop or did someone tap the factory drilled hole for a larger thread?

Tom V.

The vacuum routing from the distribution block coming off the front carb? Obviously the one tube goes to the power brakes.

So the other large tube goes to a A/C location somewhere? The center carb nipple does the vac Advance and the hollow stud does the auto trans
I believe. My car was a manual brake, non A/C, M/T car so know little about that plumbing. Trying to learn.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I have other 66 Tri-Power pics in different threads, plus here are a few OEM bolts on my unit plus the Correct Blue Spring.

Note - Tri-powers with Automatic (such as mine) always had the "throttle cable clamp bolt" going inward towards the last carb with lock nut on inside. Mechanical linkage went the opposite!
Excellent pics 60sstuff, thank you!

Old 02-29-2016, 12:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Agree! So is the bracket he has a repop or did someone tap the factory drilled hole for a larger thread?

Tom V.

The vacuum routing from the distribution block coming off the front carb? Obviously the one tube goes to the power brakes.

So the other large tube goes to a A/C location somewhere? The center carb nipple does the vac Advance and the hollow stud does the auto trans
I believe. My car was a manual brake, non A/C, M/T car so know little about that plumbing. Trying to learn.
Tom, you're right except for the A/C vacuum source. That always comes from the hollow stud in '66. The second line from the brass block used on automatic cars only goes to the transmission. Vacuum advance source is a fitting on the base of the center carb.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	66 Tripower Automatic vacuum line Passenger Side.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	422294   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO Automatic Trans Vacuum Line and Brass Block.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	422295  

'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 02-29-2016, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Oh, and the idle vent doesn't look right on the second pic. Did they have several set ups for that? Again, not sure, but would like to know. Thank you, Jason.
Yes, the idle vent should not have the shield over it like my second picture. That center carb is not a correct '66 center and had no vent. The owner of the Tripower added the vent and needs the shield to cover the mod. Somehow, many Tripowers end up with that shield. Olds and Chev used the shield, not Pontiac.

I've never seen a '66 or older Tripwer with a self-tapping screw holding the cable clamp on the throttle cable tower. They always use a nut and bolt like 60stuff and I posted.

One more item--your fuel filter is upside down. The flanged end should be on top. There were many filters stamped with the CARB arrow backwards. They're OK functionally, but marked wrong. You can see both the clamp bolt and fuel filter on the attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2353.jpg
Views:	96
ID:	422310  

'99 Bonneville SE Sedan