Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 06-06-2023, 02:11 PM
Senior Chief

Angry Dying black headrests gold

I ordered the headrest kit for my 67 GTO, paid an upholstery shop to install them and paint them to match using the paint prep cleaner and the correct gold paint. When I went to pick them up, the shop told me the paint would not stick, and sure enough it cracked and fell off every time you touched it. I contacted our host about it, I was told I needed to use the adhesion promoter. I was told at the time of purchase that I didn't need adhesion promoter, that's used for hard plastic and metal, like kick panels and consoles. I'm not upset or blaming anyone, and I'm supposed to hear back from our host tomorrow about a solution.
My question is, has anyone out there successfully changed the color of these molded headrests, and if so, how? I'm being told I have to bake or heat these up to 250 degrees for 10 minutes to burn out the chemicals in the polypropylene mold, I'm being told no adhesion promoter, I'm being told definitely use adhesion promoter??????
Please help me. I don't want to waste money trying to repaint these myself if it's not going to work or if I have to repaint them every couple years. I can buy gold vinyl and have them wrapped, but that's an added expense also, and according to our host, these are supposed to be able to be successfully dyed to match.
IMO, if they can make dye to match PUI colors, these headrests should come available in PUI colors to match our cars, not just in black.
Thanks again for any help, I appreciate it.

Old 06-06-2023, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When they first started reproducing these headrests, years ago(for 66,67) I remember reading that they could not be dyed/painted for just the reason you stated. Something having to do with the mold release agent used on the material. If AMES told you that they CAN be painted that is news to me.

Old 06-06-2023, 08:47 PM
Suspended

Sounds like why they only offer them in one colour.

Old 06-06-2023, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know if they're different or not but I "dyed" my padded console lid from black to dark aqua and it's still perfect.
I did use an off the shelf Duplicolor adhesion promoter and I washed the surface first with dawn detergent and hot water. I also wiped it down with a microfiber cloth just dampened with laquer thinner. You have to very quick and careful with the laquer thinner. Most will tell you it's a no-no but I got away with it.
I used the same technique to color my entire back seat and it's still holding up just as well.
I did all of this over 10 years ago.

Old 06-06-2023, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Recent pics

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 09:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I painted a set of head rests on a 1969 Impala....the puke green color.

Just saw it at a car show a couple weeks ago...it’s been at least 3 years...still looks like the original interior l

Just spray some window cleaner on the parts....and scrub them with a nylon brush...3-4 times.

Then apply a nice even coat of lacquer ...with a clean,,lint free paper towel. Make sure you wear rubber gloves at all times.

Let that lacquer flash off ...then apply your color.

I had to have a camera shot done for this funky green color. It was metallic...but had them make a single stage formula for it.

I added the hardner and reducer...and sprayed away.

No plastic primer needed...that stuff only goes on raw plastic....after a special wash and treated tack rag.

Old 06-07-2023, 08:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Proper cleaning/prep and adhesion promoter has worked well for me.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 06-08-2023, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From what I remember this adhesion issue was specific to the "then new" 66-67 headrests. The info about not being able to paint/dye them came from Legendary if I recall correctly...FWIW.