Old 02-05-2022, 09:26 PM
Senior Chief

Default Sooo, who is the go-to q-jet guru these days?

I have a 7042270 xa 1042 qjet. Its been restored, many years back and been stored since. I would like to have someone go through it, check it out jetting wise per my specs, maybe run it on a stand engine. Just make sure its all set before i put it on my car. Any recommendations? Thanks

1973 Grand Am 400 4 speed
Old 02-05-2022, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Shaker455, he's on these boards.

Old 02-05-2022, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cliff Ruggles has a carb forum. He’s the guy.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burd For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2022, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hear both Cliff and Shaker are good with Q-jets

Old 02-05-2022, 10:47 PM

Had one built by quadrajet power on ebay I'm happy with it

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Old 02-05-2022, 10:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On the left coast SMI.Sean Murphy.Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2022, 07:04 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks! I reached out to cliff a few weeks back. From what i gather, he is backing down on in house work. He Has a huge backlog and like so many other people, has zero help or willing to work employees. I can read a book, and i can figure it all out, but to be honest, i feel something like this needs seasoned knowledge. I will reach out to shaker. Thanks

1973 Grand Am 400 4 speed
The Following User Says Thank You to big matt For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2022, 11:06 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
On the left coast SMI.Sean Murphy.Tom
Another vote for Sean Murphy Indcution, Huntington Beach, CA

Old 02-06-2022, 11:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Everyday Performance is/was big with the Buick crowd. He did one for me a few years ago - and it is still the best running carb I’ve ever had.

Old 02-06-2022, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For the record I am not taking in any new work at this time. I stopped doing any restoration or plating work nearly 2 years ago and don't want any. I officially retired last month and for now have shut down that part of the business. I'm going to be selling parts and rebuild kits for a few more years, and at the moment that's keeping me busy enough.

If and when I get completely caught up and have some free time I'll take in a few carbs here and there for the bourbon fund. I doubt if that will happen in the next few months. Since retiring I've been completing a few items on my "bucket list" and spending more time throwing sticks for the dogs and enjoying time with the grand kids.

If anyone wants good recommendations about where to send your carb if you don't feel good about doing it yourself PM or email me.........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3465.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	583649   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3512.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	583650   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2669.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	583651  

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2022, 03:19 PM

Cliff,

Good to see you have your priorities right. Grand kids grow up quickly, playing with your dogs is good for you and them.

Thanks for your years of service to the hobby!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5th TA For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2022, 09:09 AM
Senior Chief

Cliff, what is the preferred bourbon? (life's too short to drink the marginal stuff anyway)

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 02-07-2022, 11:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bulleit barrel strength, Henry McKenna 10 year, and Four Roses Small Batch are at the top of the list, Blanton's when I can find it. There are a few others on the list as well when I can find them, but when you discover a good one it very quickly becomes very expensive and difficult to obtain.

There are a few at lower price points and usually readily available that make the grade, Evan Williams Single Barrel is decent for the price, and even their 1783 isn't to bad for around $20.......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2022, 11:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would recommend contacting Ray Klemm, as he worked along side of Cliff Ruggles building Qjets I believe. We also purchased an 800cfm from SMI(Sean Murphy), and it ran flawless on the 467 Pontiac we had him build it for. If you don't mind trying it yourself, grab Cliff Ruggles Qjet book, and contact him to order all of the parts he recommends for your combination.

Old 02-07-2022, 01:01 PM

I used Quadrajet Power in Boerne TX. Dropped off my carb in person and shared some great conversation with the owner. Amazing inventory of parts! In my case, the carb is for a 1971 Buick GS455 Stage-I that was modified for Pontiac throttle linkage. He did a Stage-II level re-manufacturing and tune including conversion to an electric choke. Re-jetted the primaries for the 63 cubic inch increase from my stroker build. Appearance looked brand new and the engine started on the second tick on the dyno with no further modifications on the carb. It was running 10-15% rich on the secondaries, but I'll do final tuning in the car.

Old 02-07-2022, 09:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I took a 71 q jet to Custom rebuilt carbs in middlesex NJ. Rebuilt it to the T and plated everything and he is a pontiac guy!

Old 02-07-2022, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
Bulleit barrel strength, Henry McKenna 10 year, and Four Roses Small Batch are at the top of the list, Blanton's when I can find it. There are a few others on the list as well when I can find them, but when you discover a good one it very quickly becomes very expensive and difficult to obtain.

There are a few at lower price points and usually readily available that make the grade, Evan Williams Single Barrel is decent for the price, and even their 1783 isn't to bad for around $20.......

Ha!
Was reading the newest posts from the bottom to top..... after a quick scan I thought you were talking about guns

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 02-07-2022, 11:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
Bulleit barrel strength, Henry McKenna 10 year, and Four Roses Small Batch are at the top of the list, Blanton's when I can find it.
I live in Shelbyville (Bulleit), grew up in Lawrenceburg (Four Roses), and work in Frankfort (Blanton’s). Bardstown (Henry McKenna) is a short 30 minute drive from home.

If you ever take a notion to get out of OH and visit God’s country and tour the Bourbon Trail gimme a shout, be glad to meet up and buy ya a drink!

Sorry for the hijack…

Another vouch for Ray Klemm, if he’s in the game.

"Turbos make no noise and leave the line like Baby Diarrhea!" - GTOGeorge
Old 02-08-2022, 12:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I sent mine to Ken at Everyday Performance for a level 2 build. Did 586 hp and 603 ft lbs on my engine. Only 9 hp less than a Holley 950 HP Ultra. Flawless startup, midrange and idle. It was also plated the correct color and not painted

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Last edited by 70GS455; 02-08-2022 at 12:09 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 70GS455 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2022, 07:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"If you ever take a notion to get out of OH and visit God’s country and tour the Bourbon Trail gimme a shout, be glad to meet up and buy ya a drink!"

Will do!

Since I'm retired and not looking for any work I'll say here that over the years I've had carbs sent here that did NOT work well from every source out there. The very WORST of the bunch are the "mass" rebuilders and any of the companies advertising on Ebay. The WORST carbs on Ebay are the "marine" conversions they are selling. They are by far and above the biggest pieces of bovine excrement ever offered as a replacement Quadrajet. The last two years or so that's about all I've been doing is to take fresh "rebuilds" and "restorations" and fix issues with them, run them on my test engine then send them back to the customer.

What I'm seeing is lack of attention to detail and many very basic/fundamental mistakes. To top the list every single carb no matter where it came from that had issues had the power piston hanger arms bent up, down or both. This just can NOT happen as the Q-jet is very precise in fuel control and you want the same potential from both banks of the engine.

Another HUGE mistake is making them too rich. I see a LOT of these companies drilling out jets to larger sizes or using jets that are not within spec. You will typically not have any negative symptoms installing huge jets as far as performance is concerned, but for sure fuel consumption will be really high and you'll see sooty tail pipes and carboned up combustion chambers, etc.

I love stories so here goes one. One of the companies mentioned above does a complete rebuild and restoration for a customers later 60's Buick 430 engine. The engine is stone stock. Customer gets the carb back, it looks so good you could use it for an ornament on your coffee table. The carb works but is PIG rich and when the choke is on the owner has to very quickly back it out of the garage or it stinks up the entire house for hours. He sends it back, and the builder returns it telling him it is fine. He goes back and forth with them and they loose interest in helping so he asks me to take a look at it.

The carb shows up, looks fantastic, I see only a few minor issues but nothing obviously wrong with it. It has the correct 71 main jets and 45B primary rods. the PP hanger is bent slightly on one side but not enough to cause a blubbering rich condition. The N/S assembly has the tiny hole in it, so I replace that. The power piston spring is "clipped" so that gets replaced. The accl pump "blue" seal is already swelled up some and sticking in the pump bore, so it gets a new pump and seal. The casting passes a pressure test to not pouring fuel into the engine from leaking bottom plugs. .....Hum?

So I'm looking it over and notice that the "71" main jets look a little large at a glance so I remove them. I get out the numbered drill set and a .078" drill bit passes right thru them! I move up to a .080" drill bit and it goes thru!

This is actually not all that uncommon as over the years these carburetors had a LOT of helping hands on them and drilling jets was a quick way to throw some fuel at the engine to help it out some.

So morel to the story is to NEVER assume anything with these things. I don't run into that issue here because I don't put used jets back in these carburetors and for sure we don't hand drill them either!.......FWIW......

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post: