Old 06-07-2023, 12:19 AM
Senior Chief

Tiger Gold was definitely a special order color for 65-66 but in '67 I believe is was a standard color, Signet Gold or something like that.

The data plate and PHS only designate it as special order color, nothing can verify what the color is other than original paint. in this case the car has a long and almost famous local history with the older guys who remember it and it's owner who owned it for 55 years at the Friday night street races. so while I'd feel guilty changing it the thought has definitely crossed my mind.

I bought the base color in Pontiac Sport Gold but I think I'm going to change it to Pontiac Solor gold and waste a gallon and a half of paint. I'm just afraid anything too off is going to look corny even if it looks better.

Old 06-08-2023, 05:42 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMX guy View Post
Tiger Gold was definitely a special order color for 65-66 but in '67 I believe is was a standard color, Signet Gold or something like that.

The data plate and PHS only designate it as special order color, nothing can verify what the color is other than original paint. in this case the car has a long and almost famous local history with the older guys who remember it and it's owner who owned it for 55 years at the Friday night street races. so while I'd feel guilty changing it the thought has definitely crossed my mind.

I bought the base color in Pontiac Sport Gold but I think I'm going to change it to Pontiac Solor gold and waste a gallon and a half of paint. I'm just afraid anything too off is going to look corny even if it looks better.
Champagne gold and Signet gold were the only two standard golds for 67. I believe the Tiger gold was renamed? Coronado gold and was a special order spring time color I believe. So in essence, there were 3 different golds offered in 67.

Old 06-09-2023, 08:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had the computer color match my original paint(Tiger gold) in 2005. The formula available(for 3 manufactureres) doesn't translate with the modern pigments and never matched the hidden areas of original paint that I had.
When it was mixed. the spray out car was a match, and I went with that.

Old 06-09-2023, 09:17 PM

What color is the interior? That can influence the body color.

Old 06-10-2023, 12:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMX guy View Post
My '66 GTO is a factory special order color car. the PHS doesn't give a color so I called them and they said there was no way to know what color it was.

So does this mean it was any color GM had in 1966 or does it literally mean any color ?

I know it was Tiger Gold, I'm just wondering if I can have options and still be original.
Do you have a build sheet?
Ive had a couple --SPEC--paint cars that had some documentation on the build sheet.One listed the color as a 1956 Buick poly blue,another listed the color which I dont remember,but had some dripped on the build sheet and said an uncut qt of paint was in the trunk.
I hands down would go with the Tiger Gold

Old 07-18-2023, 09:42 PM
Senior Chief

Well, after 6 years the second painter I've had the car too is painting it finally. he's got it all blocked out and ready to shoot the jams next week.

I ended up going with 1979 Pontiac Solar Gold, not my favorite gold but an upgrade from Tiger Gold, but still close enough it won't jump out as being wrong.

Hopefully have some pictures in the next month or so. putting it together will be easy since I have everything ready to go.

The Following User Says Thank You to AMX guy For This Useful Post: