THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-26-2023, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

garage art at best ”. hmmmmm . . . .

I’d bet that Jack could make that thing work and set a LSR with it!

But ya, I have a feeling he will have a very hard time getting that much money for it.

Old 07-26-2023, 04:56 PM

Seriously, who’s really gonna run that thing the way is was meant to be run?

No replacement parts available.

Sure anyone with deep enough pockets and a full machine shop at their disposal with an expert running it possibly could, but realistically it’s garage art.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2023, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Something like that would be worth most in a period correct configuration, cranking and putt, putting around for show

1963 Cat SD Clone (old school) streeter
1964 GTO post coupe, tripower, 4speed (build)
1965 GTO 389 tripower, 4 speed, driver
1966 GTO dragcar
1966 GTO Ragtop
1969 Tempest ET clone street/strip
1969 GTO Judge RA lll, auto
1969 GTO limelight Conv. 4speed go and show (sold)
1970 GP SSJ
1970 GTO barn find..TLB…390 horse?….yeh, 390
1972 GTO 455 HO, 4 speed, (build)
1973 Grand Safari wagon, 700hp stoplight sleeper
525ci DCI & 609ci LM V head builds
Old 07-26-2023, 05:58 PM

That's got McKeller tracks all over it

Old 07-27-2023, 12:09 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Anybody know what the cam followers look like? Combustion chambers?

Old 07-27-2023, 12:13 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
... something that’s garage art at best...
The only "garage art" to some of us is something that's broken beyond repair. All else can be put to use.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jack Gifford For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2023, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
The only "garage art" to some of us is something that's broken beyond repair. All else can be put to use.
Absolutely agree Jack. I see no reason at all that engine could not be running again. That engine is no more complex, special, or wall art than your lakester engine. I have seen your engine on the dyno, running on a stand, racing down a drag strip on numerous occasions. I would think anyone with the money to buy it could and would want to get it running on a display stand or in some car. Having it in running condition increases it's value exponentially in my eyes. Very cool find.

Old 07-27-2023, 10:23 AM
Boost Engineer

I personally would like to know the name of the scumbag who stole the cammer engine out of Mac's 1963 Catalina.
On his retirement GM gave MAC a running car/cammer engine which MAC took to many car shows in the Detroit area.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-27-2023, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
I personally would like to know the name of the scumbag who stole the cammer engine out of Mac's 1963 Catalina.
On his retirement GM gave MAC a running car/cammer engine which MAC took to many car shows in the Detroit area.

Tom V.
I know the name.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 07-27-2023, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The whole top end and cam drive , all of that needs to be copied and reproduced .

Old 07-27-2023, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
I could see that happening.

I don't recall stumbling across it while I was attending GMI (1979-1984) and wandering the bowels of the various buildings.

K
I was there in 1973-1978 and it wasn't there. We did have a 1971 Firebird Esprit that came with the 350 2 barrel. The "Firebirds" club under the guidance of Professor Jim Lyons installed a small turbocharger on the engine, pulling through a 2 barrel carb from a Chevrolet Vega. The intake manifold consisted of a 3 pound coffee can with 1 inch diameter copper tubing going to each intake port in the heads. We managed to get one of the very first lock-up torque converter turbo 350 transmissions from Hydra-matic for the build and we entered the vehicle in the Clean Air Car Competition. The car managed an amazing 28 mpg on the city cycle and 21 mpg on the highway taking 2nd place in the competition. We got dinged on NOX emissions-no catalytic converters yet. When Hydra-matic asked for their transmission back, we had to inform them the car had gone to the crusher. That didn't go over well.

Other engines in the lab included the Buick 3.8 V-6, both NA and an early turbo version, the developmental "Iron Duke", a Chevy 350 and an Olds 350. Thanks to Professor Lyons relationship with Pontiac (He later went to Pontiac as head of the 301 Turbo team), we managed to have an SD455 on a stand for a while.

Since I co-oped from the Lordstown plant, I tried to secure a Cosworth Vega engine for school, but because the short block was hand assembled, serialized, signed by the engine builder and carefully recorded for registration with Cosworth Engineering, GMAD could not release an engine from the vehicle assembly plant.

Old 07-27-2023, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmmmm View Post
I was there in 1973-1978 and it wasn't there. We did have a 1971 Firebird Esprit that came with the 350 2 barrel. The "Firebirds" club under the guidance of Professor Jim Lyons installed a small turbocharger on the engine, pulling through a 2 barrel carb from a Chevrolet Vega. The intake manifold consisted of a 3 pound coffee can with 1 inch diameter copper tubing going to each intake port in the heads. We managed to get one of the very first lock-up torque converter turbo 350 transmissions from Hydra-matic for the build and we entered the vehicle in the Clean Air Car Competition. The car managed an amazing 28 mpg on the city cycle and 21 mpg on the highway taking 2nd place in the competition. We got dinged on NOX emissions-no catalytic converters yet. When Hydra-matic asked for their transmission back, we had to inform them the car had gone to the crusher. That didn't go over well.

Other engines in the lab included the Buick 3.8 V-6, both NA and an early turbo version, the developmental "Iron Duke", a Chevy 350 and an Olds 350. Thanks to Professor Lyons relationship with Pontiac (He later went to Pontiac as head of the 301 Turbo team), we managed to have an SD455 on a stand for a while.
Ah - yes. Those GMI profs were good people.

Quote:
Since I co-oped from the Lordstown plant, I tried to secure a Cosworth Vega engine for school, but because the short block was hand assembled, serialized, signed by the engine builder and carefully recorded for registration with Cosworth Engineering, GMAD could not release an engine from the vehicle assembly plant.
I was sponsored by Chevrolet Flint Assembly (Van Slyke and Atherton rds).

Quote:
I don't recall stumbling across it while I was attending GMI (1979-1984)
Quote:
I was there in 1973-1978
For those of you following along: I just want to point out that this was a five year program. Four years of study with a thesis during the fifth year.

I didn't want the reader to think we were a couple dummies.

K
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jim lyons.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	616810  

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 07-27-2023, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
Seriously, who’s really gonna run that thing the way is was meant to be run?

No replacement parts available.

Sure anyone with deep enough pockets and a full machine shop at their disposal with an expert running it possibly could, but realistically it’s garage art.
Somebody with Max Werner's skills and resources. Saw his car run 12 or 15 years ago at PIR. He was pushing it hard enough to cause the wire wheels to show deflection in the corners, while the car was in a 4 wheel drift. All the while he was sawing that huge 24 or so inch steering wheel back and forth like a madman.
His Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 with its pedigree is deep in the realm of truely pricelesps automobiles. Not to mention there are no parts available for him either.

https://www.ultimatecarpage.com/chas...a-2211120.html

Old 07-27-2023, 02:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That's an incredible piece of Pontiac history. I agree that it would be crazy to run that motor in a car. It belongs in a museum somewhere. Maybe somewhere like the Brothers Collection or something like that. In fact, I'd bet that if the owner contacted them, they'd be interested.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 07-27-2023, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
That's an incredible piece of Pontiac history. I agree that it would be crazy to run that motor in a car. It belongs in a museum somewhere. Maybe somewhere like the Brothers Collection or something like that. In fact, I'd bet that if the owner contacted them, they'd be interested.
I'm torn between museum and road course! lol It is too rare to be destroyed though. Museum is probably the place for it.

Old 07-27-2023, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Ah - yes. Those GMI profs were good people.

I was sponsored by Chevrolet Flint Assembly (Van Slyke and Atherton rds).

For those of you following along: I just want to point out that this was a five year program. Four years of study with a thesis during the fifth year.

I didn't want the reader to think we were a couple dummies.

K
And not to mention that 18 week semesters of normal colleges were compressed into 12 week semesters for us, so my average class load for the nine semesters was 21-23 hours with my senior III semester at 26 hours. But I always believed that since we made it through that, we could make it through anything. I'd do it all over again given the chance. It was an unbeatable experience.

Hoping to get back up there with my 1970 Firebird and visit the new learning center.