Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 06-29-2007, 11:31 PM

Ken,
Depending on the price (since I'm still out the $750 for the "other" Tri-Y's), I'd be interested in a set for a d-port.

Please let me know!

Thanks,
Mike

1977 Trans Am Y82
'69 428, stock '69 #16's, 041 RAIV/Rhoads, 3.42s, Cliff Q-Jet, Continental Tight-10/TH350, RA Manifolds (oversized, ported) with Pypes x-pipe system and Street Pro's, Edelbrock Classic IAS shocks, PST polygraphite suspension, custom subframe connectors.

Still waiting on my Tri-Y headers (since June 2005).
Old 07-18-2007, 10:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Did this die on the vine?

She woke up sunny side down and I was still thinking I was too proud to flip her over
Old 07-19-2007, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wick, that is funnier than H$%^&!!!!!

Ron Watt is from Napa California, so it may in fact have died on the vine!!!

Old 07-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I forgot about that, so there was no pun intended. LOL

She woke up sunny side down and I was still thinking I was too proud to flip her over
Old 07-19-2007, 12:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Oh, and it's too bad things worked out the way they did for Ron. I do think he had the best intentions and feels bad for the way things worked out. I know he sold some expensive parts that he had to stay afloat.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Maybe Ron should sell more parts or some of the equipment used to make the headers and split it up among the rest of us that he still owes headers to. Someone posted awhile back that Ron was still going to make good on the outstanding orders as he could. Has anyone received them or was that more of his B.S.!

1967 Firebird 400 bench seat, deluxe interior, auto
1965 GTO 462, KRE unported D-port heads, Bullet 234/244 cam, th400, tight 10" converter, 3.73 gears, 87 octane, 3440 lbs. empty,1.59 60ft, 7.159@95.33 (1/8), a real daily driver, been totaled, rolled 3 times, hit a tree airborne.
1961 Catalina 2 door htp
1960 Ventura 4 door htp wife's car
1960 B'ville 2 door htp
1960 Catalina Wagon wife's car too
Old 07-19-2007, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks Goat
Maybe Ron should sell more parts or some of the equipment used to make the headers and split it up among the rest of us that he still owes headers to. Someone posted awhile back that Ron was still going to make good on the outstanding orders as he could. Has anyone received them or was that more of his B.S.!
More B.S.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:41 PM

Ken,
Add me the the list for 2nd Gen D ports

Formerly..... Dreambird72
Old 07-20-2007, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

if the quality and ground clearens is the same as the ones that RON did send out. then put me douwn for a set of round ported first gen f body and a set and a round ported 69 gto A body set

Old 07-26-2007, 11:58 PM

I'll buy two sets of round ported and two sets od D ported for a '79.

My e-mail is lumarkhood@aol.com

I have two sets of Ron Watt's tri-y's and the fit/finish is great.

Mark

Old 08-28-2007, 08:23 PM

Hey Ken and B-Man,

I know Ken's reputation for quality, however how well do these beauties fit in a 1969 GTO with Edelbrock heads and factory Air conditioning? they appear to have minimal interference issues, however any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

if the answer is "like a glove" or similar then where do I sent my $$ How close are we to getting the 50 orders down?

Old 08-28-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal
Hey Ken and B-Man,

I know Ken's reputation for quality, however how well do these beauties fit in a 1969 GTO with Edelbrock heads and factory Air conditioning? they appear to have minimal interference issues, however any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

if the answer is "like a glove" or similar then where do I sent my $$ How close are we to getting the 50 orders down?
Judging by the amount of requests here in this thread it seems that 50 orders for these will never happen.

I'm sure they'll fit any '64 -'72 GTO or second-gen 'bird with pretty much any accessory combo. The only thing I remember reading is they won't fit with a column shift, however I know they will fit my '64 Tempest with a column shift auto trans (sleeper equipment ) since I already did the measuring.

Plan on finding them used, or plan on running either Doug's Headers or round-port exhaust manifolds because from what I see here so far it isn't happening.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:31 PM

Heck, we still need someone to go find Ron...to "ask" for our money back!

Mike

1977 Trans Am Y82
'69 428, stock '69 #16's, 041 RAIV/Rhoads, 3.42s, Cliff Q-Jet, Continental Tight-10/TH350, RA Manifolds (oversized, ported) with Pypes x-pipe system and Street Pro's, Edelbrock Classic IAS shocks, PST polygraphite suspension, custom subframe connectors.

Still waiting on my Tri-Y headers (since June 2005).
Old 08-29-2007, 06:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man
Judging by the amount of requests here in this thread it seems that 50 orders for these will never happen.
This shouldn't be a surprise considering how the deal with Ron went down.

1967 Firebird 400 bench seat, deluxe interior, auto
1965 GTO 462, KRE unported D-port heads, Bullet 234/244 cam, th400, tight 10" converter, 3.73 gears, 87 octane, 3440 lbs. empty,1.59 60ft, 7.159@95.33 (1/8), a real daily driver, been totaled, rolled 3 times, hit a tree airborne.
1961 Catalina 2 door htp
1960 Ventura 4 door htp wife's car
1960 B'ville 2 door htp
1960 Catalina Wagon wife's car too
Old 08-29-2007, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Hey Ken and B-Man,

I don't know about a 69 GTO but I just got a set of HO racing dports fro my 78 Trans AM and they fit like A Glove (and i don't mean OJ's glove).The only problem i had was that the previous dumba.. cut the head flanges into 3 pieces so it was a pain getting the holes to line up. I finally used one of those chevy exhaust manifold spreaders and got the bolts in.

The clearance around the starter and oil filter is super and the ground clearance is WAY better tha the hooker supercraps it had on it

PLEASE WILL SOMEBODY MAKE THESE AGAIN
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S5030773.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	103139   Click image for larger version

Name:	S5030774.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	103140   Click image for larger version

Name:	S5030775.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	103141   Click image for larger version

Name:	S5030777.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	103142   Click image for larger version

Name:	S5030778.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	103143  

1931 Pontiac 5 window coupe OHC6 powered
2015 GMC Yukon SLT
Old 08-29-2007, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks Goat
This shouldn't be a surprise considering how the deal with Ron went down.
That's really not a fair comparison.

Ken Crocie has been in the Pontiac parts business for a few decades, and has brought many of his own products to the Pontiac faithful. Anyone even remotely familiar with the way H-O Racing does business wouldn't have any doubts about getting product delivered if they paid for it.

Ken has a proven track record, Ron tried but couldn't quite make it happen.

The simple fact is there really isn't a big enough demand for these headers to make it cost-effective to produce them. To make it worth the time and effort you just can't make these in lots of less than 100 pieces. Unfortunate, but true.

Sooooo, as soon as 100 Pontiac enthusiasts step up and post that they want them (the round-port version is the only type slated for possible production), it might happen.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Join the list GTOWAGON...the LOOOOOOOOng list of very satisfied HO Racing customers that purchased headers from Ken Crocie over the years.

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Meet you at the finish line.....don't be late!
Old 08-30-2007, 12:09 AM

Hi again guys.

I need headers in short order for the goat and it appears that my choices are pretty slim in the small world of Round port pontiac manufacturers as I don't feel that i want to choke down my 400 with cast iron RAIV headers even if they do have 2-1/2 inch outlets as it seems like too high of a tradeoff for power vs. fitment.

I also heard that the Hedman 35130 headers with 1-3/4 primaries were more of a pain in the a$$ that they were worth so it appears the I need to throw a call at Jim Butler for additional options.

Before I do that I thought I would throw out a Hail Mary and see if anyone has a set of very gently used Round port headers for this chassis such as the Tri-Y's mentioned earlier in this thread that they would be willing to part with. Anyone have anything? Or know of a direction to point me in?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Hi again guys.

I need headers in short order for the goat and it appears that my choices are pretty slim in the small world of Round port pontiac manufacturers as I don't feel that i want to choke down my 400 with cast iron RAIV headers even if they do have 2-1/2 inch outlets as it seems like too high of a tradeoff for power vs. fitment.

I also heard that the Hedman 35130 headers with 1-3/4 primaries were more of a pain in the a$$ that they were worth so it appears the I need to throw a call at Jim Butler for additional options.

Before I do that I thought I would throw out a Hail Mary and see if anyone has a set of very gently used Round port headers for this chassis such as the Tri-Y's mentioned earlier in this thread that they would be willing to part with. Anyone have anything? Or know of a direction to point me in?

Thanks in advance.
I won't be selling either one of my sets.

I would only consider a set of Doug's Headers since you're going to have a hard time finding the H-O Tri-Ys quickly. These have such excellent ground clearance, better than any other 4-tube header.

I had my '64 GTO parked next to Ron's '65 GTO at the track in the staging lanes. Ron had just installed a new set of round-port Doug's on his car, his car was used to do the prototype for these headers. I quickly snapped up his 'old' H-O Tri-Ys.

My Tri-Ys had less than an inch more ground clearance than the Doug's 4-tubes, I sighted along the bottom of the frame rails on both cars for reference. The Doug's tuck up very tight to the floorpans, no 4-tube headers will have as much ground clearance as the Tri-Ys but the Doug's came damn close.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:31 PM

Talking

Well, I spoke with Ken Crocie and Jim Butler as well as the shop that built my engine and I decided to go with the Doug's headers with a 1 7/8 primary and a 3 1/2 collecter as it seemed to be the best fit for my car.

There have been nothing but good things said aboout the fit and fuctionality of these headers so I will update everyone on what they look like and how they fit once installed.

Thanks for everyone's advice!

Respectfully,

Daniel