Looks GREAT!!

2007 HD FLHT.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:30 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by facn8me View Post
Looks GREAT!!
Thanks, yours is turning out great too!

This weekend I removed the glass on my own and it was pretty simple. Always heard people talking about guitar strings or piano wire etc but this is what I did. I got inside the car with a box cutter and started at the top of the glass cutting the butyl tape. Worked my way down the sides. After quite a few cuts I started to apply pressure to glass pushing it out of the car and continued cutting. After about 5 minutes I was able to grab the glass from the outside and lift it away from the car. Since the glass was broken I wasn't careful if you were trying to save the glass this may not be the best way to do it.

The paint for the Argent Silver on the grills is a Krylon #1403 dull aluminum. Looks pretty good to me.

Here you can see one grill done and one ready for spray.

Also was able to reassemble the front end and the rear end, only thing left is the front bumper. I needed the screws that hold on the headlight bezels but I only had 2 left. Went to the hardware store and was able to piece together something to install them. I used a #8 Chrysler licence plate nut, a nylon spacer, and 2" stainless #8 screws some of which got cut down. Worked out perfect for installing the bezels, pic below of what I bought.

Factory left, my parts right:

My parking/turnsignal lights in the front are pretty busted up. Does anyone know of a cheap alternative to replace that clear lens or is a repop for $50 a pair necessary?

Old 07-15-2012, 09:36 PM

Nice choice of wheels

2007 HD FLHT.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought the repops. I didn't want to spend it either, but that includes the trim ring as well I believe. It was several years ago so I don't remember. EDIT - I just looked in Ames catalog and the whole set is $72 with the lens/bezel/gasket/clips/screws. I would imagine our host sells for roughly the same amount (just don't have a new P-Y catalog handy). The lenses alone are $35.

The car looks great Bill.

I'll be in Cedarburg Sunday evening. Shoot me a PM with your address and a good evening to stop by (and favorite beer). I'll be leaving Cedarburg Friday morning.

1966 GTO Montero Red Hardtop - Holley EFI'd 462, KRE DPorts/Muncie 4spd
1990 Chevy 454SS pickup - Accel DFI/T56 6spd - Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
1996 Chevy K2500 ECSB 'Poopy'
2002 Honda VTX1800C
2016 Cadillac CTS Premium

My project thread: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=516826

Old 02-02-2013, 10:32 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatfreeGTO View Post
Well I am finally done with my dash, steering column, and gauges phew! I never would have thought that project would have taken all winter... I did end up replacing my factory column with a collapsible model from flaming river. I am really looking forward to the tilt feature that it has. I think that will make a big difference in comfort. I am just waiting on a U-joint so I can connect the column to the gear box but then I can finally get back on the road.

I have been looking for a replacement column for my 66GTO but searching FlamingRivers site there seems not to be one available for my car. Where did you get yours and what P/N? Any problems fitting it?

Old 02-02-2013, 10:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Hey everyone I'm back!

The car has been on the road for a couple months now. Work has been crazy busy so I haven't done much more to the car, plus I'm honestly burnt out both financially and motivation wise to work on the car at this point. I have taken it on a few short road trips and its been fun!! Actually drives really nice, it has a very nice planted feel on the road. Now all the rattles under the dash is another story Its a little low on power but that is not a big deal to me for right now. I can get in and drive it pretty much anywhere without any worries which is nice. I'm thinking a engine rebuild and manual trans swap will be my next project for this old 66.

Oh yeah I named the car "Patina" because my dad was joking about the condition of the body and I told him thats "Patina" and it takes along time to develop a look like this Instantly the name stuck.

Well onto the pictures, enjoy!

Photo #65 would look good as your avart[sk] where your name is, look cool of you siting on the frame, I got a laugh out of it, If you are going chevtiac give me that old 400, It is your car do what you want to it, BTW did you paint the oil pan on the 400 blue? in the photo where you were cleaning it up the pan looked black to me. Good luck Randy.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
The car really does look good. The wheels, the paint, nice. I don't blame you, if I get mine roadworthy again, (I'm working on it...moved for the first time in over a year under it's own power yesterday) I'll drive it just like it is for a while.
Greg, im going to try to get mine on the road this year also. Good luck to you. Randy.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Since these are not my pictures if the owners of these wish for me to remove them please let me know and I will take them down. Thanks!

Here is the seats centered with the carpet...

Seats pulled apart center console going in the middle of them.

Seats with the sides built up similar to the convertibles. I think this is the route I would like to go...

Let me know what way you guys think I should go!
I like the last one, But dont yours with the head rest stick up higher?

Old 02-03-2013, 03:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Thanks, yours is turning out great too!

This weekend I removed the glass on my own and it was pretty simple. Always heard people talking about guitar strings or piano wire etc but this is what I did. I got inside the car with a box cutter and started at the top of the glass cutting the butyl tape. Worked my way down the sides. After quite a few cuts I started to apply pressure to glass pushing it out of the car and continued cutting. After about 5 minutes I was able to grab the glass from the outside and lift it away from the car. Since the glass was broken I wasn't careful if you were trying to save the glass this may not be the best way to do it.

The paint for the Argent Silver on the grills is a Krylon #1403 dull aluminum. Looks pretty good to me.

Here you can see one grill done and one ready for spray.

Also was able to reassemble the front end and the rear end, only thing left is the front bumper. I needed the screws that hold on the headlight bezels but I only had 2 left. Went to the hardware store and was able to piece together something to install them. I used a #8 Chrysler licence plate nut, a nylon spacer, and 2" stainless #8 screws some of which got cut down. Worked out perfect for installing the bezels, pic below of what I bought.

Factory left, my parts right:

My parking/turnsignal lights in the front are pretty busted up. Does anyone know of a cheap alternative to replace that clear lens or is a repop for $50 a pair necessary?
What are the grills made of is one craked?

Old 02-03-2013, 03:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Grrrs View Post
I bought the repops. I didn't want to spend it either, but that includes the trim ring as well I believe. It was several years ago so I don't remember. EDIT - I just looked in Ames catalog and the whole set is $72 with the lens/bezel/gasket/clips/screws. I would imagine our host sells for roughly the same amount (just don't have a new P-Y catalog handy). The lenses alone are $35.

The car looks great Bill.

I'll be in Cedarburg Sunday evening. Shoot me a PM with your address and a good evening to stop by (and favorite beer). I'll be leaving Cedarburg Friday morning.
PY has that kit for $69 It does not say clips/screws.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Thank you for the great info and good reading, Any updates? Love that dashTKS Randy.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bill, I see the bolts fastening your grills to the header panel are trying to poke thru the plastic. Make sure you use the kit with the 66 Grill Mounting
kit PN PYF47K, and the Mounting Clips when PY gets them in... PN PYF47. They will save you a lot of headaches.

I had the same problem with my 66 when I bought it. PYF47K solved that and I saved them. I did find the clips at NAPA but they will cause
problems too when you try and take the grills out of put them in. They scratch the living daylights out of the paint. PYF47 cilps won't be a problem
as the are flat.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz68 View Post
Greg, im going to try to get mine on the road this year also. Good luck to you. Randy.
Good Randy. We need more 68s on the road! Be sure and post some pics when you do.