Old 04-17-2010, 10:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow looks great.But..I think you have your gas line going thru the hole that the rear parking brake cable goes thru.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:11 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatman65 View Post
Wow looks great.But..I think you have your gas line going thru the hole that the rear parking brake cable goes thru.
Oh man really... That sucks it was hard enough to get it in there in the first place without putting a kink in it. But I looked it up now on the net and you are correct. I can't figure out if I should run it through the same space as the brake line or if I should run them both above the lower control arm bracket. I thought about going above but I was worried about the interference between the frame and the body.

Last edited by FatfreeGTO; 04-17-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was trying to find a good pic somewhere for you.I think they both go above the bracket.I made my own years ago with the body mounted..ain't easy.it is atight fit that way.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lookin' good man.

1966 GTO Montero Red Hardtop - Holley EFI'd 462, KRE DPorts/Muncie 4spd
1990 Chevy 454SS pickup - Accel DFI/T56 6spd - Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
1996 Chevy K2500 ECSB 'Poopy'
2002 Honda VTX1800C
2016 Cadillac CTS Premium

My project thread: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=516826

Old 04-29-2010, 12:53 AM
Senior Chief

Well I got the lines ran in the right spot, second time was the charm And put the engine in, trans will be going in tomorrow. And this weekend is a bachelor party for a good friend so I will be out of town, no work being done. But as soon as I get back its time to rebuild the carb, and hopefully I will be getting my exhaust and new wheels/tires delivered. Then its body drop time! Whoo hoo!

Me taking it for a drive, ha hopefully soon!!

Cleaned up the firewall.

Fixed the lines and ran the stainless E-Brake cables

More E-Brake cables. And body mounts.

And finally the engine back where it belongs!

Old 04-29-2010, 03:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looking good!

I know you are happy, can see it on your face. You should be! Lot's of nice work!

Charles

Old 04-29-2010, 07:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Those are proud moments. Looks great.

2002 Honda VTX1800C

Old 04-29-2010, 06:08 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks guys!

Got the transmission in today, turbo 400. Big thanks to my dad for giving me a hand.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:01 AM
Senior Chief

Today I replaced the U-Joints in the driveshaft, what a pain but finally figured it out. I have a question though. Obviously the body is off the car so the suspension isn't loaded. But when I tried to install the driveshaft today it is extremely tight. The slip yoke is bottoming out inside the tailpiece and there is about 1/2" of distance until it will be hitting the rear seal on the trans. There is absolutely no "slip" in the driveshaft currently. Will this change when the body is put back on the car and the angles of everything start to change from the weight? From what I have been reading there is supposed to be about 1" of slip on that yoke for it to function properly and not destroy the transmission when going over bumps. If I need to shorten the driveshaft I would rather do it now. Thanks for the assistance with this!!

Old 05-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bill,I just saw this thread today. Nice job my friend. I have a 65 3x2 4 speed Convertible with code "L" exterior,Teal Turquoise.It is very close to code "L" in 66,Mariner Turquoise.I like it.of course(LOL)

A question.I saw a Cordova Top listed on your window sticker. Are you going in that direction? Or leave it w/o the top?. Also,was it originally White or Black? keep up the good work! Larry B.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bill, great looking job and well done too. You deserve to have a big chit eatin grin. And an even bigger one once she drivers out under her own power all finished. Congrats!.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:26 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the compliments guys, it really means alot! Progress for today was exhaust came, and I ordered more parts (mini starter, rad hoses, etc.) should be running soon I figure. Its funny how many little parts you don't think about add up the $$ really quickly. Hoping that my wheels and tires actually show up one of these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpop View Post
A question.I saw a Cordova Top listed on your window sticker. Are you going in that direction? Or leave it w/o the top?. Also,was it originally White or Black? keep up the good work! Larry B.

Larry I'm not sure if it was white or black interior is black so I would think it would match that, I will have to research how to figure that out. As for my plans I'm not exactly sure at this point. Body work is going to be minimal this year just due to the expense of it all so I'm sure I will decide on that more in the future. I do like the cordova tops they seem to just fit these cars lines really well, but I was also thinking that a painted gloss black roof and sail panel area done with the chrome that runs at the bottom of the sails could look good for something a little different. I might end up doing a test run with paint this year to see how I like that, since it will all get stripped in the future anyways.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:30 PM
Senior Chief

Default Good news!

Well I have some good news. After being off of work for the past 8 months I am going back to work on Monday. We have a bid system here for my union and I wasn't really expecting to get the call since there were 120 people ahead of me that could have bid on the job but only 2 other people bid besides myself. Those 2 were missing some qualifications to get the job which I had. Things are bad in this area for electricians we have 1200 or so in our local and right now 350 are laid off waiting at the hall.

So anyways the company is Adaptive Electrical Controls I will be a sub to a company called Outdoor Lighting and I will be working mostly on the Department Of Transportation projects in the area. I will be working on traffic signals, street lights, ramp metering etc. Seems like it should be a pretty steady gig because the roads are always being worked on and changed. I guess they have overtime 45-50 hours a week pretty steady from April until Christmas then its sit home from Jan-March. I just hope this doesn't interfere with my car getting finished, but at least now I won't be afraid to spend the money to finish it

Old 05-08-2010, 04:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Great news! We'll be watching for more updates now.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

In response to post #50. The weight being off the frame does change where the rear end is located. It pushes it towards the trans & makes the drive-shaft seem too long. This will straighten itself out when all the weight goes back on the frame. I had to have my son push down on the frame just to get my drive-shaft in at the point where you're at.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatfreeGTO View Post
Well I have some good news. After being off of work for the past 8 months I am going back to work on Monday. We have a bid system here for my union and I wasn't really expecting to get the call since there were 120 people ahead of me that could have bid on the job but only 2 other people bid besides myself. Those 2 were missing some qualifications to get the job which I had. Things are bad in this area for electricians we have 1200 or so in our local and right now 350 are laid off waiting at the hall.

So anyways the company is Adaptive Electrical Controls I will be a sub to a company called Outdoor Lighting and I will be working mostly on the Department Of Transportation projects in the area. I will be working on traffic signals, street lights, ramp metering etc. Seems like it should be a pretty steady gig because the roads are always being worked on and changed. I guess they have overtime 45-50 hours a week pretty steady from April until Christmas then its sit home from Jan-March. I just hope this doesn't interfere with my car getting finished, but at least now I won't be afraid to spend the money to finish it
Congrats & great to hear. Sounds like a decent gig.

2002 Honda VTX1800C

Old 05-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatfreeGTO View Post

Congrats William!!!! Good to hear someone is going back to work instead of the opposite. Good luck

Old 05-12-2010, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats on the work news!! Larry B.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Senior Chief

Yeah the job has been interesting so far and its only been a few days. Had to work last night when the freeway was shut down so we could take down a bunch of light poles that were in the way.

As for progress on the car I got the exhaust put on, pics to follow soon. And it looks like we might get rained out tomorrow at work so I might attempt to put the body back on the car tomorrow because my dad has off as well.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:22 PM
Senior Chief

Default Body is on!

Here are the pictures of the Pypes exhaust. I read alot about people having a hard time installing this and it really wasn't as bad as I was expecting. The main thing is not to be to picky trying to get your spacing off of the driveshaft the same or the way the pipes go over the rear axle perfectly identical. I think that Pypes should really change the specs that they have for the drivers side rear tailpiece. The very last bend in the system needs about 5* less bend in it, for whatever reason the bends are different from side to side and I'm worried about how the tailpipes will stick out under the bumper. I think the drivers side is going to be angled and I will have to take it out and take the bend out of the pipe, but we will see once the bumpers are on. Also we got the body lowered back onto the frame today, what a relief. It all went pretty smooth so I couldn't be happier. Like I said at the beginning of this I am not going to be doing any body work right now because of the cost and the fact that I want to drive this car soon. I actually kinda like the ratty look of the body and if my wheels ever show up I think it will make for a good look. I told my dad that the blemishes in the paint and overall condition were "patina" and I kinda like the way that sounds so my car may have been named "patina" or maybe just "tina" Here are some pictures.

Last edited by FatfreeGTO; 05-13-2010 at 11:27 PM.