Old 05-14-2010, 07:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats...Its coming along nicely.

I too like the ratty body on a nicely detailed undercarriage/engine compartment. Makes people do a double take.

1966 GTO Montero Red Hardtop - Holley EFI'd 462, KRE DPorts/Muncie 4spd
1990 Chevy 454SS pickup - Accel DFI/T56 6spd - Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
1996 Chevy K2500 ECSB 'Poopy'
2002 Honda VTX1800C
2016 Cadillac CTS Premium

My project thread: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=516826

Old 06-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Senior Chief

Ok well its been a few weeks and I haven't updated much because its been minor stuff and I dropped and broke my camera so I haven't taken pictures.

This past weekend got the engine fired up and running in the car. I ended up ordering a new holley vac sec 750cfm and an edelbrock performer rpm intake. When I went to install the intake I discovered that I am going to need about the thickness of the gaskets machined off where it meets the head so for now that is on the shelf and the old intake went back on with the new carb. I am planning on rebuilding the engine this winter anyways so I will have the machine work done to the intake at that time. I definitely need to do some tuning but just didn't have time this weekend. We didn't run it long only about 30 seconds I would say.

Some other good news is that my wheels and tires finally showed up, and I mean FINALLY. They are Vintage Wheel Works V-40 17x7 front and 17x8 rear with custom backspacing. Tires are nitto NT-450 225/50/17 front and 255/50/17 rear. I am happy with the wheels and the manufacturer Vintage Wheel Works in California especially since they are made in the USA but I will not name where I placed my order from because I am very unhappy with their customer service and overall rudeness that they had towards me. They are not advertised here so it really doesn't matter. I'm thinking 2 or 3 more weeks and I will be cruising on the open road again. Here are some pics of the wheels. I know people here tend not to like the oversized wheels on these cars but I think it is going to fit pretty well personally. After I had ordered these I was thinking I should have went with a 15" rally I but now that I see them in person I feel I made the right choice for my project. I can always get a second set in the future if I want a change. Please tell me what you guys think...

Old 06-01-2010, 11:33 PM

I am not a big fan of oversize wheels, but I really like those. I think that the tires go very well with them and will look great on the car. I will need new wheels and tires for my project. Was leaning to the 15's but now I might reconsider. Good luck.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Nice....I have a set of 17" AR TTO's on my Dodge Challenger...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0391b.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	207982  

Resto almost done - 1966 GTO HDTP Tiger Gold (paint code 1-2), black vinyl top and interior, 389 tripower, 068 cam, TH-350/Hughes TC, RA manifolds, 2.5" Pypes exhaust, Scarebird Front Disc, Ralley II's, factory PS, PB, PW, PA, A/C, headrest option.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:44 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbiggs View Post
Nice....I have a set of 17" AR TTO's on my Dodge Challenger...
Nice challenger!!

Old 09-05-2010, 02:25 AM
Senior Chief

Hey everyone I'm back!

The car has been on the road for a couple months now. Work has been crazy busy so I haven't done much more to the car, plus I'm honestly burnt out both financially and motivation wise to work on the car at this point. I have taken it on a few short road trips and its been fun!! Actually drives really nice, it has a very nice planted feel on the road. Now all the rattles under the dash is another story Its a little low on power but that is not a big deal to me for right now. I can get in and drive it pretty much anywhere without any worries which is nice. I'm thinking a engine rebuild and manual trans swap will be my next project for this old 66.

Oh yeah I named the car "Patina" because my dad was joking about the condition of the body and I told him thats "Patina" and it takes along time to develop a look like this Instantly the name stuck.

Well onto the pictures, enjoy!

Old 09-05-2010, 05:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The car really does look good. The wheels, the paint, nice. I don't blame you, if I get mine roadworthy again, (I'm working on it...moved for the first time in over a year under it's own power yesterday) I'll drive it just like it is for a while.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FF- lookin' good!

Greg, throw some plates on that thing!

Old 09-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatmanmitch View Post
FF- lookin' good!

Greg, throw some plates on that thing!

Heck, I'd like to but it is definitely NOT ready for prime time yet...lol

Old 09-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It doesn't get any better than a 66 GTO Hardtop with Marina Turquoise Patina!!! Sure brings back the memories for me.

Jim

Old 09-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like it a lot.

Car looks great...Patina and all. Nice stance, too.

2002 Honda VTX1800C

Old 09-11-2011, 09:00 PM
Senior Chief

So I haven't been on here in quite a long time with an update... This past spring/early summer my turbo 400 started slipping so I had to pull it out and I really didn't get to drive the car all summer because well... one thing leads to another and suddenly everything is being changed. I'm curious to see the response that I get on here so let me know what you think, here are a couple of videos of the car.

This was recorded today and its only the 3rd or 4th time I started the new setup. Don't mind the open headers that will be taken care of this week.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWjTjah__jE

Here is the very first drive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxJeSUAJPfI

and one more
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoOrQDuFOWA

Last edited by FatfreeGTO; 09-11-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm certain there will be some unhappy responses. It is your car, so do with it what you want.

I have done LSx conversions and they are tough to beat. They do run well. Looks like an LS3? I see the electronic throttle. 4L60 or 65 behind it?

2002 Honda VTX1800C

Old 09-11-2011, 09:21 PM
Senior Chief

Hey Tod! Yeah its a 6.0l LY6/LS3 with a 4l80e trans, good eye!! What did you do swaps on??

I'm sure you know the details then but for others basically its a 6.0l iron block with the latest corvette/camaro aluminum heads. Apparently they flow 330cfm stock. Corvette LS3 intake. And it has variable valve timing..

Old 09-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did a complete swap ('99 325hp LS1 with a 4L60E) in a 1990 454SS truck (same kind of truck as my sig) and did some wiring on a street rod project LS1/4L60E for a guy. I also owned a 2004 GTO with a 6 speed when new. Also did a clutch in a '99 Corvette FRC. The LSx series of motors is great. Amazing how well they run for relatively small cubic inches.

I have not experienced the LS3 yet, or any form of variable valve timing on a Gen III. Is that a crate motor package? I think AndrewB has done one in his 1970 GTO (lots of threads on the web about his car).

2002 Honda VTX1800C

Old 09-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Senior Chief

Very cool Tod you know all about them then! I got my engine and trans out of the junk yard. Its a low mileage 2008 Gen IV 6.0l with a 2009 4l80e. These VVT motors first came out in 07 the new camaro is using VVT if you order the L99 version.

My engine is the truck engine so it has a cast iron block and 9.6:1 compression. It comes from the factory with L92 aluminum heads and I added all the corvette intake, fuel injectors, fuel rails, and corvette alternator, power steering pump, and I put in a 97 remanufactured Jeep grand cherokee steering box. Cool thing about the steering box is it bolts right up and features a 12.7 ratio which is faster then the stock gto one. Since that box is metric I used corvette pressure lines and that all went together real nice as well without having to make custom lines for standard to metric.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My God, I thought it was the first GTO I owned. No it didn't sound like that but the exterior color is it. Great to see you have yours on the road Bill. Sounds great as is with that engine and exhaust; and those wheels look great on it too. If you hadn't said 17" I wouldn't have known the difference.

If you to a conversion to a manual tranny you'll love it. Go with a 5 speed if you can. Or better yet find the manual tranny that goes with the 6.0L LY6/LS3.

Oh, before you take it out for a night drive.... do the conversion to get the headlights and tail lights on together. It'll only take you 15 minutes or so.... no new parts involved, just your time.

Go here for the info.... http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...=586289&page=2, Post 22.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatfreeGTO View Post
Very cool Tod you know all about them then! I got my engine and trans out of the junk yard. Its a low mileage 2008 Gen IV 6.0l with a 2009 4l80e. These VVT motors first came out in 07 the new camaro is using VVT if you order the L99 version.

My engine is the truck engine so it has a cast iron block and 9.6:1 compression. It comes from the factory with L92 aluminum heads and I added all the corvette intake, fuel injectors, fuel rails, and corvette alternator, power steering pump, and I put in a 97 remanufactured Jeep grand cherokee steering box. Cool thing about the steering box is it bolts right up and features a 12.7 ratio which is faster then the stock gto one. Since that box is metric I used corvette pressure lines and that all went together real nice as well without having to make custom lines for standard to metric.
I just did the GC steering box in mine this spring (used a 1980 Camaro hose for the high side and use the stock 1966 pump with a newer valve in it to attach the metric hose). Definately a worthwile conversion. If you check my project thread in my sig, you will see all the suspension improvements I made recently. My car is a much better car to drive now with the changes. Next is the motor (I keep saying this, but I think I may finally pull the trigger this winter). I got a 428 and now a stock 455 to build. I think I am going to do a stock rebuild on the 455 with a mild cam for now.

My 389 is very tired. I will pull it and stick it in the corner for possible future use.

2002 Honda VTX1800C

Old 09-15-2011, 09:00 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
My God, I thought it was the first GTO I owned. No it didn't sound like that but the exterior color is it. Great to see you have yours on the road Bill. Sounds great as is with that engine and exhaust; and those wheels look great on it too. If you hadn't said 17" I wouldn't have known the difference.

If you to a conversion to a manual tranny you'll love it. Go with a 5 speed if you can. Or better yet find the manual tranny that goes with the 6.0L LY6/LS3.

Oh, before you take it out for a night drive.... do the conversion to get the headlights and tail lights on together. It'll only take you 15 minutes or so.... no new parts involved, just your time.

Go here for the info.... http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...=586289&page=2, Post 22.
Thanks for the tip on the lights I like it! I had thought about doing the manual trans in here but I really like the tubo 400 that I had and frankly I'm sick of shifting gears all the time in my other cars. So that's why I decided to stick with the auto and go with an overdrive version.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:04 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Grrrs View Post
I just did the GC steering box in mine this spring (used a 1980 Camaro hose for the high side and use the stock 1966 pump with a newer valve in it to attach the metric hose). Definately a worthwile conversion. If you check my project thread in my sig, you will see all the suspension improvements I made recently. My car is a much better car to drive now with the changes. Next is the motor (I keep saying this, but I think I may finally pull the trigger this winter). I got a 428 and now a stock 455 to build. I think I am going to do a stock rebuild on the 455 with a mild cam for now.

My 389 is very tired. I will pull it and stick it in the corner for possible future use.
I was surprised how easily this box went in the car, i'm hoping to get some miles on it this weekend so I can really check see how it feels. I've checked out your build in the past, I will have to get updated on it again. My 400 was tired as well and I'm glad I decided pull it out. I'm sure you will be happy once you have a fresh 455 in there, who wouldn't be really! It will be worth it.