Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbys View Post
What leads you to that conclusion?
I looked through his old posts. It looks like you found the same info I did.

Email jbr69gto@gmail.com

My Website www.minnesota-muscle.com

Old 08-29-2011, 06:28 PM

I think the point Arbys and a few others mentioned is critical here. Sell off the worst of them first, saving your best for last.
Reason for this is two fold.
The damand and disposable income to buy them with may both increase with the span of time this is certain to take, (guess no less than 5 years for that many) and you will get a better price when you need it most for the cars in the best condition.
Second, if you save the worst for last, then the temptation to scrap them may win over and that would be a criminal waste and shame.

And also as stated above, just my worth...
Good Luck and godbless for keeping that many for so long from the crusher !!!

Owning a Tempest means never having to prove it isn't a clone....
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/388784...ontiac-tempest

My 66 Stepside Rescue...
http://www.cardomain.com/user/RideEd...age_id=3938455

"Truth, Courage, Loyalty... These are the pillars of Honor"
Old 08-29-2011, 07:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sell 24 of them...then use the money to HAVE the last 2 PROFESSIONALLY restored!

Old 08-29-2011, 07:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERIC AULL View Post
Sell 24 of them...then use the money to HAVE the last 2 PROFESSIONALLY restored!
That's probably the best advise yet. The last two could remind you of the others and how their sale led to the last two showpieces.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO JOHN View Post
Pretty sure he is in New York state somewhere.
near Pleasant Valley perhaps?

Old 08-29-2011, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like Eric's idea too. It's realistic and totally doable. A coworker and good friend of mine had 13 '64-'67 GTO's when I met him in '96, and only one ran. About ten years ago, he sold 11 of them. These were "Wrecking Yard Pull- Outs" (his terms), all gotten from the central valley of California between 1978-1981. They were all complete, worn out cars. When I saw them in '96, they had degraded from sitting outside for 15 plus years. The guy he sold them to for a modest price (he just wanted to see them saved) ended up having most of them restored and the rest were sold as-is and were restored. All of them ended up "back on the road" within about 3 years. Win-win for everybody. Some of the money was used to perform a frame off on his '67 hardtop (his first car, and the one he wanted to keep) that was completed about 2 years ago. The fact that the 26 GTO's have been INSIDE for the past 20 plus years is a HUGE help. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I apologize for not giving more details on the location of these cars just yet,but for years it has been an on going problem/concern of theft. We are lucky enough to have minimal amount of things stolen over the years. Now that this collection is going to be known outside of my local area theft will become more of a concern than ever. I think what I need to do before this blows up is put Grundy Insurance on all the cars. After that I will feel more comfortable discussing all the details. When I am better situated with my direction I will answer all the pms that have been sent. Thanks for your understanding.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:19 PM

few years back similar situation but with antique farm equipment, mostly steam traction engines in Minnesota. It was all sold in a day at public auction and attracted bidders across the nation. 26 cars could easily be sold in a day and if advertised appropriately the bidders will be there. Don't know if Mecum will "come to you" but Nixon Bros will.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:40 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6t5gto View Post
I apologize for not giving more details on the location of these cars just yet,but for years it has been an on going problem/concern of theft. We are lucky enough to have minimal amount of things stolen over the years. Now that this collection is going to be known outside of my local area theft will become more of a concern than ever. I think what I need to do before this blows up is put Grundy Insurance on all the cars. After that I will feel more comfortable discussing all the details. When I am better situated with my direction I will answer all the pms that have been sent. Thanks for your understanding.
No need to apologize. The people trying to figure out (and post) your location need a smack.
Best of luck with your situation!

Old 08-30-2011, 10:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'd love to but a Left and a Right 67 GTO quarter panel...gotta be sweet though! Take your time, figure out what you need to do. Remember, the season ends in a couple months, people WILL be seeking parts for their winter projects. Good Luck, Eric

Old 08-30-2011, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

NEVER EVER do an auction....never..unless youre dead and your relatives have no options...the only person that makes money at an auction is the auction company..trust me i know, Ive seen it so many times it makes me sick....the theivery at an auction will make you dumbfounded...

If you dont have the skill or time to sell them yourself, hire somone, make them work on a comission, but control everything..all the money and all the parts, you should be involved in all aspects...greed does weird things...

Old 08-30-2011, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Western N.Y. state, as Thornton's is in Quakerstown,PA.which is far eastern PA. Do not give out the town you live in,m this is just for the curious guys here. Don't worry, you are in the Federal Witness Protection Program, I just called my friend in the FBI, he made an exception for ya. !! lol Larry B.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you go with an auctioneer you'd better trust him with all that you have. I had a friend that was an auctioneer and he said that at most auctions they mix their own goods with the consignee's. They write the items on a small slip with the sold prices. At the end of the auction some of the slips strangly come up missing in the frenzy of activity. Not everyone does this but it does happen.
If I had to do it I would videotape it.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FInd a big time restorer that will take all the cars and do a couple of your cars in trade. Could be a win-win.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Injuntom that is a really good idea and would be a win-win situation but the truth of the matter is I'm trying to help my father get his money back. A few cars will be kept just in case we decide to do something someday.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'd like to add that selling in one big group could attract foreign investors, never see them again once they hit the shipping containers. irgoatmike

Old 09-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You hit the nail on the head. I recieved a pm from somebody in Sweden.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The GTO tomb has been open this weekend. More pics and info once I recieve all the paper work from PHS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gto tomb.JPG
Views:	1805
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	255737  

Old 09-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

WOW!! Sad to hear you have to get rid of them. Best of luck!!

65 Cat Ventura, 66 Cat Vert, 63 GP
Old 09-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That looks like fairly dry storage so the sheet metal should have held up well. 20 years is a long time to sit.

Closed Thread