Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-21-2017, 11:50 PM

You two need to team up! One Blown and One Turbo! same same. getR done winner buys the steaks and metamucil!

Old 03-21-2017, 11:55 PM
Suspended

GTO George

Old 03-22-2017, 12:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancarole View Post
You two need to team up! ......
Nah. They need to get a room.

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines

Old 03-22-2017, 06:33 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by twooldgoats View Post
Nah. They need to get a room.

Jim
Do what kind of blower......on your engine do you have?

GTO George

Old 03-22-2017, 07:25 AM
Suspended

Just to get this thread back on topic............I was amazed at how slow chiefs turbos were spinning at idol. I mean the exhaust gasses have only one way to go. I'm not a turbo guy,

GTO George

Old 03-22-2017, 08:22 AM
Suspended

What size turbos did he normally run?

GTO George

Old 03-22-2017, 11:20 AM
Boost Engineer

T-88 Turbos max are the rule is class racing. On the street you can run what you want.
After Chief auctioned off his old turbos to charity, he went with T-94 Turbonetics/ Precision Turbos.
Used to be just Precision Turbo (harry's Company) (Turbonetics and Precision Turbo recently merged resources. Harry got a Buy-out!

Tom V.

Going down to visit my friend Harry next month.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:23 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
What size turbos did he normally run?

GTO George
Read the post.......what did he normally run? Not what he got for his Indy trip or what he just bought.....read, read, read!

GTO George

Old 03-22-2017, 11:33 AM
Boost Engineer

The auction was run a LONG time AGO, George. He has had those turbos a Long Time.

The reason why the turbos spin slowly at idle is because the engine (even a 482 engine) is only passing about 25 cfm at idle (with no load).
Turbos have leakage around the blades, george. Low cfm and leakage means that the flow to spin the turbos even at low speed is small and so they spin slowly. Some videos show the wheels not moving and a guy reaches his finger into the turbo and gets them started spinning.

You really need to learn some of this stuff, vs running your mouth, George if you want to ask turbo type questions.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Do what kind of blower......on your engine do you have?

GTO George
Littlefield 10-71 high helix, moves 536 cubic inches per revolution when brand new.

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines

Old 03-22-2017, 12:05 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by twooldgoats View Post
Littlefield 10-71 high helix, moves 536 cubic inches per revolution when brand new.
So that would be 120 degrees rotors?

GTO George

Old 03-22-2017, 12:08 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
The auction was run a LONG time AGO, George. He has had those turbos a Long Time.

The reason why the turbos spin slowly at idle is because the engine (even a 482 engine) is only passing about 25 cfm at idle (with no load).
Turbos have leakage around the blades, george. Low cfm and leakage means that the flow to spin the turbos even at low speed is small and so they spin slowly. Some videos show the wheels not moving and a guy reaches his finger into the turbo and gets them started spinning.

You really need to learn some of this stuff, vs running your mouth, George if you want to ask turbo type questions.

Tom V.
I don't know a whole lot about turbos.........dont need to I don't use them! I'm asking questions because I don't know.......unlike you who thinks he knows everything. Im a Roots Blower guy (I know roots blowers) not a Turbo guy.

GTO George

Old 03-22-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
That was the engine that came out of it.........!

GTO George
II know what they did . They used polyurethane inserts for chevy clamshell mounts. They had to cut the tabs off so the Pontiac uppers would fit. Been there .

Old 03-22-2017, 01:09 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD311 View Post
II know what they did . They used polyurethane inserts for chevy clamshell mounts. They had to cut the tabs off so the Pontiac uppers would fit. Been there .

Thanks!

GTO George

Old 03-22-2017, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
They had what looked like poly mounts, from what I understand they don't always fit well, maybe the problem?
I believe I said that in post #66................

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 03-22-2017, 03:08 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
I believe I said that in post #66................

Yes you did.

GTO George

Old 03-22-2017, 03:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Who will drive the Fast N Loud car?

Going back to what someone mentioned a few pages ago...

There is no way they are going to let Rawlings drive that thing at an NHRA track (Fontana?) without the proper license, period!

Now if "they" (the show) has him do the training and all the qualification passes and is granted a pro mod, or advanced ET ticket; and shows it on air, that would be kind of cool actually.

But I seriously doubt that is what we will see next Monday. The Gas Monkey pro stock guy will drive it, and all the arguing about Richard driving will indeed be "made for TV."

Old 03-22-2017, 03:36 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatRider View Post
Going back to what someone mentioned a few pages ago...

There is no way they are going to let Rawlings drive that thing at an NHRA track (Fontana?) without the proper license, period!

Now if "they" (the show) has him do the training and all the qualification passes and is granted a pro mod, or advanced ET ticket; and shows it on air, that would be kind of cool actually.

But I seriously doubt that is what we will see next Monday. The Gas Monkey pro stock guy will drive it, and all the arguing about Richard driving will indeed be "made for TV."

Actually its really has nothing to do the "Rich Boy" having a License or not (they are renting the track) he'd end up killing himself......he couldn't handle it, 2,500+HP......no way!!

GTO George

Old 03-22-2017, 04:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

while I get it based on the characters of the show, it's a shame what they did to that trans am. I know it was a hacked up race car to start with, but even still, that camper shell looks stupid.

I watched the part with the motor mounts a couple times, and it looks to me like they cut slots in the frame to accommodate the mounts. never showed them touch the part on the block, but sparks were flying off the frame next to the mount.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:57 PM
Boost Engineer

The filming as was posted many times is "already in the can".
The Pro Stock Driver type of guy may not be able to drive it either, just saying.

It is a reality show. Much like the old "PINKS" show was.

The episodes on Monday night clearly show that the chassis purchased from marty was a front section cage section, rear section and the proper wheelie bars for the car (with a steel room. Exactly as Marty told me He sold the car months ago.

Doing some steering mods, doing some rear axle mods, doing some cage mods is normal.

Steve Grebeck was constantly repairing/changing out tubes/ re-squaring chassis that had been in service for a period of time on the track. Very common deal.

So some of the the changes made were shown on the show but for the most part the chassis is basically exactly like Marty's Pro Mod Judge. That had run I believe 238 in Arizona.

Tom V.