THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On Cobrabill's original post of "do's and dont's he mentioned the railroad "cops" patrolling the tracks and such. We actually need more of those in this area (Hampton Roads, Va.) as on a couple of occasions in the last 5 years or so, there has been drunks that have fallen asleep on the track, the train has come by and ran over them. I see morons walking contantly on the tracks behind the shop I work at. I beleive they use it as a shortcut. All these people are idiots. Some even walk across a short bridge on the tracks. I thought about reporting this, but the engineers see it for themselves while playing "Chicken" with the pedestrians. The trains in town here don't move as fast as the ones out in the country that I have seen moving up to about 65 mph, but they will still beat a person across that narrow span of bridge (which is about 200 feet across). And staying back 30 to 40 feet from the crossing is definently a good idea. Years ago I saw a place where a couple of containers had fallen off some flat cars. Wasn't at a crossing (just about a block from it) but if it would have been at one, someone would have gotten hurt or killed. It boils down to people must use common sense, which seems a little lacking in a lot of arenas these days. Thanks for posting this thread.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Railroad Cop

Best one ever....

Old 02-08-2012, 09:54 PM

Made me laugh Greg

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 02-09-2012, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, he was great in that movie....I watched it again recently and when the RR cops was mentioned, he came to mind..lol

Old 02-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Best one ever....

LOL

i vividly remember starting to watch that as a child, a child so in love with trains....

then i saw, "the scene", and was never the same after that. ha ha

on another note, based on a post earlier in the thread, color me totally flummoxed now knowing that Dewalt drills are what propel these giant freight trains.

i would have never guessed, in a million years, that big diesel freight engines actually had electric motors driving the wheels, especially after seeing bare engine blocks, as i thought to myself they had to be that big to power them.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERULD View Post
That's a pretty awesome engine right there. Not as big as an engine in a big ship, but still pretty cool!
Actually they're exactly as big as the engines in (some) ships. My first two LSTs each had 6 ALCO 251 16-cylinder engines. (ALCO = American Locomotive Company) Other LSTs in the 1179-class had GM EMD 645 16-cylinder engines.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:34 PM
Suspended

Location: The Palomino Ranch in Tucson-where the real horsepower lives.

Man killed while trying to spray graffiti on railroad cars
Published: February 6, 2012

SAN ANTONIO, Texas – A Union Pacific train struck and killed a man trying to “tag” a railroad car with graffiti yesterday, television station KSAT-TV reports. The crew of the train told police they were on a northbound train in San Antonio when they spotted a man spray painting a parked southbound train. The crew sounded the horn. They said the man tried to get something, possibly spray paint cans, off the northbound track but could not get out of the way in time.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ah Yes!!!! Darwin at work again!!!

POCI.org
Old 02-14-2012, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

World War 2 subs had Fairbanks Morse opposed piston diesels in them. After the war F/M made diesel locos with this diesel. they had one of the first 2400hp 6 axle locos. A sub on display at the Carnegie Science Center displays this engine. The 'painters' family will hire an attorney to get their just compensation for their loss because the rr should have a fence up! This is happening in my area right now. A woman tried to a take a baby stroller with infant across the main N/S tracks in Derry ,Pa.The stroller got stuck and she was hit. The only thing I 'see' knowing the area you have at least half mile visiabilty in one direction and 1 mile in the other--dah.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:33 AM
Suspended

Any time you cross RR tracks,you are trespassing.Just food for thought.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The family 'hired' a lawyer and they are trying. Someone not sure who wants to put up a fence or has-how long do you make it and how high so its 'legal'. There is no responsibility anymore. Just some trying to take from others.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Suspended

Rumor has it that CSX is hiring.

UP is hiring Diesel Wrenches in Kalifornia(Roseville)

Old 05-26-2012, 07:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

One lucky drunk on train tracks.
http://www.vancouversun.com/Drunk+su...408/story.html

Old 06-24-2012, 04:50 PM
Suspended

http://www.news9.com/story/18866351/...lide-in-guymon

Old 06-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrabill View Post
Oww! It's hard to believe that accidents like this still happen with the computer tracking technology available. RIP for the dead.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiedlerh View Post
Here is a engine/generator out of an Amtrak locomotive. Appears to be a V16 diesel. You experts know more about it.
I am no expert, but I can tell you that is a General Electric V16 Diesel and if I remember correctly puts out around 4500 Horsepower. Some other interesting figures I can remember are. . . Just the block casting alone comes in at 16,000lbs+ and is machined down to a trim 13,900lbs+. The whole 16 cyl. engine comes in around 40,000+lbs

1970 Buick GS Stage 1...12.17@109+
Old 06-24-2012, 11:02 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76WS4 View Post
Oww! It's hard to believe that accidents like this still happen with the computer tracking technology available. RIP for the dead.
Latest info is that it was CTC territory.SIding & a main-line.If this is true,then one train didn't stop when it was supposed to.

THe auto rack was probably around 7000 tons.THe Z train was anywhere from 4500 to 8000 tons.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:36 PM
Suspended

I have about 8+ years of "Trains magazine".If someone wants them,get with me.I just want shipping for them.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:07 AM
Suspended

Cool What ever happened to all the railroad guys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
Thanks for the post Bill! I have emailed to many, some who will find the humor, and others who also see the seriousness in it I hop and share it with the "I-Pod Generation" to get a clue.

I have always loved trains. My earliest train memories are from when I was a young boy - 4, 5 & 6 yrs old. Running to the back of my Great Grandmothers' property in Albuquerque watching & waving to the Santa Fe conductors of the Diesel Locomotive freighter trains as they were in ultra low gear straining pulling those loads. I loved to literally feel the earth move from the power! Hooked on torque right from the start! That translated to Pontiac torque later in life!L

I was able to enjoy a round-trip ride on the Durango Silverton narrow guage a few years ago and have included my photos taken while on that ride. I recomend anyone who wants to enjoy this trip to call ahead and book your ride on the "Parlor Car" Caboose. It is well worth the extra few $ and where you are encouraged to take as many photos as the train runs as you wish.

And is from the Parlor Car landing is where I took this 1st image (below):

Photo at stop in Silverton with Engineer and Coalman - below:

Interior shot if Parlor Car with volunteer who non-stop shares history and information about the Durango Silverton train system for the 4(?) hour round trip - below:

Didn't intend to hijack your thread. Just wanted to share some more train info.

Thxs!
Bump! Cleaning out my old email & found this old thread. What ever happened to all the railroad guys?

Old 06-19-2015, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

I'm out here living it most every day...and sometimes night...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g40fmX29wks