67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 06-26-2001, 02:28 AM
Senior Chief

Anyone ever have a leak when it rains on your Firebird? I have installed new weatherstripping all over the car...... The inside gets wet running from above the dimmer switch, down to the middle of the rug. Same thing on the other side. The only thing I can think of is rain falling into the cowl vents on top of the car below the windshield. Anyone have any insight to this? Anyone ever have this problem?

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

"More tears are shed from answered prayers, than unanswered prayers"
Old 06-26-2001, 02:28 AM
Senior Chief

Anyone ever have a leak when it rains on your Firebird? I have installed new weatherstripping all over the car...... The inside gets wet running from above the dimmer switch, down to the middle of the rug. Same thing on the other side. The only thing I can think of is rain falling into the cowl vents on top of the car below the windshield. Anyone have any insight to this? Anyone ever have this problem?

Old 06-26-2001, 08:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is the dash panel in front or under the windshield in good shape rusted or windshield gasket shot? Also there is a 1 inch plug on the firewall that may be broken or missing. It is lower than the area that you discribe but could be the cause. Is it leaking while driving, or when it is parked?

Old 06-26-2001, 09:41 AM
Senior Chief

The windshield is sealed...... no leaks there. I see two plastic plugs, left and right on the top of the cowl. Both are there... Where is this 1 inch plug located that you spoke about? In the middle of the firewall? I only notice the leak when it's parked and raining..... I changed every seal possible... I think it might be water going into the slats and open holes on the cowl panel itself..... where the windshield wipers are. Question.... Does air actually go through there to cool off the coc.kpit or motor?

[This message has been edited by MitchGM (edited 06-26-2001).]

Old 06-26-2001, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You may have a leak beneath the cowl area where the wiper transmission linkage is, possibly rust through in that area. If you lay on the driverside floor face upword and look at behind the dash guage area. See if you can see light up through that cowl area.
This is a common rustout area as sometimes it is hidden by the firewall padding. The plug, I was referring to in the previous post, is down lower on the driverside firewall approx. 3/4 way down the wall. Hope you find the leak.

Old 09-02-2001, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Had the same problem on my 69 400 firebird and it turned out to be a pinhole rusted dash under the windshield on both front corners. Might try getting some of that radiator leak dye, spray it on with a squirt bottle, and use a black light to look for the source. Never tried it but it might work.

Old 09-06-2001, 12:32 AM
Senior Chief

Hi Mitch,

I have the same problem with my 69 CV. Just washed it for the first time last week since it got new paint 3 months ago (didn't matter as it was always in various shops being worked on). I don't know where to start, but the die / black light sounds like a good start!

------------------
Wally

Old 09-06-2001, 05:07 PM
Senior Chief

Thanx guys.... I found the leak. There was a rust hole under the cowl panel on the driver side. I've heard this is a common place for a rust hole. The water actually sits in there after it rains or when it gets wet. Also.... For good measure, I took out the windshield and fixed two rust holes in the track. I think we are watertight now.

[This message has been edited by MitchGM (edited 09-06-2001).]

Old 11-16-2001, 05:06 PM

I just did this whole exercise last month w/the same problem on 68 coupe, however i was at the advantage of having no interior installed when I did my tests. I changed the windshield - no leaks. I found water to be entering from a firewall hole where screws used to be on the driver's side. Also, when I ran a hose over the roof I found water getting in where the kickpanel vents were and this went undetected -- just had wet carpets. Make sure to reseal behind kick panels after they have been out. Water runs inside that channel from the cowl.

All the suggestions by these guys are good things to check. Glad to see you found the problem, now go back and check for leaky kickpanels you might not know you even had!

jon