67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 11-23-2001, 04:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Which way does the cross member face the front? The service manual had no clear pics on this but not sur how it goes.

Old 11-23-2001, 04:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Which way does the cross member face the front? The service manual had no clear pics on this but not sur how it goes.

Old 11-23-2001, 09:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve, I looked at one for an automatic. I thought they were the same, but the one I have has a notched area for the vacuum modulator. I also thought they were biased toward one side, but this one is not. This one also has no hole for a parking brake hook to hook up to (of course early Firebirds may not have hooked to the crossmember). But, the slotted frame holes on the crossmember were on the right (passengers) side. Mike.

[This message has been edited by Held for Ransom (edited 11-23-2001).]

Old 11-24-2001, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

HFR, I believe the X-members are the same and I have the slots on the passenger side. I have a slight problem with the shifter is right up against the trans tunnel on the drivers side. No real drawbacks but the upper shifter bolt hits the tunnel and may cause problems under load. Thanks for the input.

Old 11-29-2001, 03:35 PM

Steve, I can check my '69 T/A if you like. Give me some details on what is causing the confusion.

Old 11-30-2001, 01:27 AM
Senior Chief

Steve.... I'm not sure of the problem, but is it the original crossmember? Different tranny's members faced different ways. One faces more towards the front, the other towards the back.

[This message has been edited by MitchGM (edited 11-30-2001).]

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

"More tears are shed from answered prayers, than unanswered prayers"
Old 11-30-2001, 08:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It is the original cross member and as I have it now the slotted holes are on the passenger side frame. There is a hump in the front of the cross member on the pass side but of course this dependes on the way this mount face. Ijust feel the tranny sits to far to the drivers side as one of the upper shifter assy bolts is up against the trans hump. It is not a problem now but may cause noise in the future. Thanks for all the help.