67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 10-11-2001, 12:41 AM
Senior Chief

Hello. I have a 67 Firebird that I'm rebuilding. I have yet to drive the car. Well I replaced the cancelling cam, both return springs, and the thrust spring/washer, on the steering column and added on a Grant steering wheel with adapter.
Now like I said I have yet to drive the car so I dont know if this is Normal:
Case in point- Say I want to make a left turn, I push the turn signal lever in the down position, I start turning the steering wheel left, and as I'm turning it to the left I hear and feel clicking about 1 second apart until I make a FULL left turn and as I return the wheel back to the straight position the clicking has stopped and the cancelling cam kicks in and the turnsignal lever automatically returns to the middle/off position which of course is normal. The clicking sound is almost definitely the 2 "boob" shaped plastic contacts of the cancelling cam hitting the return springs in the ass. The same happens when you turn right as well.
Is this clicking sound normal each time you turn? Everything looks right, and the system works, but the clicking just doesn't seem right. Thanks, Chris

Old 10-11-2001, 12:41 AM
Senior Chief

Hello. I have a 67 Firebird that I'm rebuilding. I have yet to drive the car. Well I replaced the cancelling cam, both return springs, and the thrust spring/washer, on the steering column and added on a Grant steering wheel with adapter.
Now like I said I have yet to drive the car so I dont know if this is Normal:
Case in point- Say I want to make a left turn, I push the turn signal lever in the down position, I start turning the steering wheel left, and as I'm turning it to the left I hear and feel clicking about 1 second apart until I make a FULL left turn and as I return the wheel back to the straight position the clicking has stopped and the cancelling cam kicks in and the turnsignal lever automatically returns to the middle/off position which of course is normal. The clicking sound is almost definitely the 2 "boob" shaped plastic contacts of the cancelling cam hitting the return springs in the ass. The same happens when you turn right as well.
Is this clicking sound normal each time you turn? Everything looks right, and the system works, but the clicking just doesn't seem right. Thanks, Chris

Old 10-18-2001, 05:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It may be normal. I think that is the "Better" design, compared to the plastic cancelling cam spring design found on other cars of 68 and 69.

My 68GTO had that metal spring canceller, am I preferred that.

Other 68's had the plastic spring design and would crack away with age. My 69Bird had the plastic, and I upped it to the metal spring canceller. Guess I was THAT picky about it.

Enjoy it, I think it is the feel of quality, that you noticed.

Sold 2003: 12.00/112MPH/1.61 60'/26"x3.31:1/10"/469 #48/245-255-110LSA/Q-Jet-Torker/3650Lbs//18MPG 94oct
Sold 1994: 11.00/123MPH/1.50 60'/29.5"x4.10:1/10"/469 #48/245-255-110LSA/Dual600s-Wenzler/3250Lbs//94oct