67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 10-01-2001, 10:38 AM

I have a 67 400 conv with the stock 3 speed borg t-16. I am replacing it with an M-20. I already have purchased the correct Comp + shifter for this car from ebay. I have not yet purchased a trans yet, but seem fairly plentiful on Ebay.
The shifter comes with linkage rods/hardware and stick. Is there a mounting bracket for this to go on the M-20 or am I sitting fine in regard to installing the shifter on the trans?

Old 10-01-2001, 10:38 AM

I have a 67 400 conv with the stock 3 speed borg t-16. I am replacing it with an M-20. I already have purchased the correct Comp + shifter for this car from ebay. I have not yet purchased a trans yet, but seem fairly plentiful on Ebay.
The shifter comes with linkage rods/hardware and stick. Is there a mounting bracket for this to go on the M-20 or am I sitting fine in regard to installing the shifter on the trans?

Old 10-04-2001, 07:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There should be a bracket that mounts to the tranny & you bolt the shifter to that bracket. Give me a call at Summit if you need one i think we can order these through Hurst. 1-800-517-1035 ext 6225.

Old 10-04-2001, 08:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If the shifter is Hurst Comp flat stick, will have to do your homework on linkage & shifter plate, so this shifter will fit with console.

If the shifter is 68-69 Firebird ('69 Camaro) round stick Hurst, the factory mounting plate mounts the shifter low & to the rear. The linkage is a little longer than other Hurst shifter rods. Tough to find plate, linkage, & shifter & $$$.

Old 10-04-2001, 09:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the plate but not the u-nolt required to hold it to the tail housing the plates are going n/a from Hurst I have one for $16.69. If you have the comp plus shifter with the bent handle it will fit with the stock console. It worked in my 67. I just sold my shifter on ebay complete. You may have the u-bolt it comes in the hardware bag. I checked & the hardware is not available sperately anymore.

Old 10-04-2001, 10:59 AM

OK guys, thanks for your willingness to help, I guess I need to be a bit more clear. This is the aftermarket Comp+ #391-4339 w/flat stick #538-4106 designed to fit my car. It hasn't arrived yet, so I am a bit unclear on whether the bracket will come with it. I emailed and asked the guy who sold it to me, but haven't heard back from him. (He has all positive feedbacks and shipped the shifter via snail mail, so I am not concerned yet) If it turns that I need the Hurst bracket, I will call you, Scott. As far as a U bolt, would a generic work?

Robby D

Old 10-04-2001, 11:02 AM

Another thing I find strange- According to the Mr. Gasket web site, Hurst still produces this shifter, handle and installation kit. Why the heck don't they have the bracket and bolt???

Just curious and bewildered.

Robby D

Old 10-04-2001, 07:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The u-bolt is not a normal size you may be able to get a spring shop to make you one. The reason the individual parts are no longer avail is do to they hardly ever sell them so they look at this as a waste of time & money. I hope this helps.

Old 10-17-2001, 12:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Scott,

I am in the process of converting my '67 convertible 400 car from automatic to 4 sp (have the muncie all ready to go). I need a shifter. I am using the stock console so I need a kit that will fit. Does hurst still make a complete kit? I am not interested in historical accuracy on this car so flat or round handle/lever doesn't matter. If you've got it can I just call you direct to order? Wanna be my personal Summit sales Rep?;-)

BTW - Anyone interested in a Pontiac turbo 400? Have flew plate and converter. It ran when it came out of the car but can make no guarantees.

Old 11-28-2001, 06:45 PM

OK guys, here is the skinny to date. I bought a rebuilt M-20 from Wally@4speed.com. It looks great and was shipped in nice crate. All the correct mounting hardware IS STILL AVAILABLE from Hurst, including the aforementioned U bolt. It was no problem at all, just called and ordered it and the correct bracket that mounts between the crossmember and rubber tranny mount. Will let you know how the conversion progresses.

Old 11-29-2001, 04:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Flow Joe thanks for the order. Anyone can call anytime if you need a part or help.