Old 03-05-2009, 12:07 AM
Senior Chief

Question 2nd Gen Firebird/TA Experts: Will 1979 TA floors, trunk & rear tail panel fit a '74?

I'm pretty sure they would fit, but how different are the two as far as stamping/physical appearance, seat belt and seat mounting lugs, console mounts, etc.? I'd love to find someone who already did this and find out how things turned out. Thanks for any info.

Last edited by 70pontiaction; 03-05-2009 at 12:08 AM. Reason: forgot to proofread 2x :)
Old 03-05-2009, 01:28 AM
Senior Chief

Front floor is different due to clearance for the catalytic converter starting in 1975.

Seat belt and console mounts are the same.

Front seat mounts are different

Rear floor is similar and should fit.

Trunk pan is similar and may fit.

Rear panel is completely different and will not fit.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure exactly WHAT you are up to,but you would be LIGHT YEARS ahead in time & money by going the opposite direction & grafting a "square" back window into a rustfree 79-81 bird (which is fairly EASY to obtain)

Your 74 front sheet metal will bolt up to the 79 body shell.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:38 PM
Senior Chief

Exclamation More info about this inquiry

I should have been more clear: I've got a 74 TA with rusty floors, trunk and inner tail panel. I picked up a 79 Esprit body shell that is TOTALLY rust-free for a deal. I'm hoping to use Pontiac factory panels rather than the imported stuff being reproduced to fix the floors and trunk. I think I noticed that vendors list the same trunk pan for both years, the same front floor and rear floor 1/4 sections for both years but a different full floor 1/2 side (probably because of the convertor recess). Guess I'm going to pull the seats and carpeting out of both and take a comparison look this weekend. That way I can see how much will interchange and get an accurate estimate of how much needs to come out of the rusty floor. I guess I'll be in the market for a rust-free inner tail panel.......

Old 03-08-2009, 10:30 AM

Default 74 resto

Well sounds like my project. I own a 74 R/A Formula and have rust on 1/4's, minor trunk, rear body. I bought 75-81 rust free 1/4's complete and now need a rear body pan and trunk floor. If you noticed GTOWagon has that rust free 74 shell for sale for $3500. You could buy that. I offered him $1500 for the 76 T/A shell and he laughed at me. He even told others he never got any offers on it. I even went as high as $2k. Oh well, good luck to the new guy who got that car. If I did not buy as much as I did, I would be interested in his 74 shell if he would get to the real world on his prices! He probably got it less than 1k and wants a mint. I can understand though, we are all out to make money when we can and that is how the world works, Buy low; sell high. Good luck on your project. I am sure it will work out well for you.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey ramform whats your problem so you couldn't afford the 76 shell. Scotty can and got a deal on a vintage race car that also came with a truckload of parts. Had you come and made a deal in person or even given me a call you could have probably gotten the rear clip for less than 2K, but like I said YOU HAVE TO CALL. In the end Im glad I waited and kept the car whole. As for the 74 shell I got that for nothing and will just be scrapping it monday just to get rid of it since I got no interest in it and have no need for it. Have a nice day

1931 Pontiac 5 window coupe OHC6 powered
2015 GMC Yukon SLT
Old 03-08-2009, 12:09 PM

Default 74

GTO, I emailed you numerous times. Had I known to call for the under 2k price I would have. You told me 3k firm. Not a big deal, my plans were to cut it up. I would have hated to waste it like that. A shell now is a different story. I hate to see the shell scrapped if it is as you say. If you were interested in a price for it I would consider it. I still need a trunk floor and rear body pan. 1/4's are a plus since I have them, but I could sell mine to a buddy locally doing the same project. If you need me to call pass me ur number @ ramairformula400@aol.com. Thanks