67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 03-12-2020, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce
Default Aftermarket Radio Installation

No luck with the search feature on this. Does anybody have pictures of a non-factory radio type in dash radio installation?

I'm in the middle of redoing the entire interior on this car, and I'm over looking through the hole where a radio would be.

The radio was gone when I purchased this, so there's just the hole for it. The dash bezel is not cut and so while I'd prefer to have a stock appearing radio in this, I've got a bit of sticker shock. $400-$600 for just the radio is crazy considering you can get a quality single din aftermarket unit for half or less the price.

I don't mind going the complete aftermarket route, but considering how much I've already spent on this interior rehab, I don't want the install to look janky either.

Any of you running a setup like this? If so, do you have pictures and can you share what din mounts and trim rings you used?

Thanks!

Old 03-12-2020, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A dash bezel that isn't cut for a 69 is hard to find. If you are going to cut it, sell the one you have and buy one off eBay that is cut. I'd put the radio you want in the glovebox with a remote and a stock AM radio in the dash.

Old 03-13-2020, 08:17 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by thews View Post
I'd put the radio you want in the glove box with a remote and a stock AM radio in the dash.
Completely agree!

Old 03-13-2020, 12:19 PM

I've got a retrosound radio that fits in the dash without cutting. looks good, sounds good.

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/p...21193671802962

Old 03-13-2020, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Perhaps I didn't really convey this properly. I do not currently have a radio, or any kind in the car. That's why I'm looking at all options and I do need to be budget conscious here.

I'm not going to buy a stock radio, then also buy an aftermarket radio for the glove box. I'd be more than a retrosound unit at $400.00 at that point and would just go that direction.

Old 03-13-2020, 11:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've got a Custom AutoSound system with cd player in my 67. I had to add an EQ to get good sound out of it. The biggest problem I have is it always loses it's presets for some reason. I've tried everything including hooking it right to the battery. I now run XM radio through it so it doesn't matter anymore.
https://www.classiccarstereos.com/19...l-usa-630.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150910_132532.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	534414  

Old 03-19-2020, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I installed an aftermarket single din radio in my 69 which already had a badly butchered radio hole. One issue I ran into is the angle of the radio is up in the back, versus down like factory. The factory angle is set by the recess for the radio which positions the radio so it is more level. Because mine is angled up in the back, it interferes with the climate control levers and the mounting points. If I were in your shoes I would buy a hacked up dash and put a new single din radio in it. Keep the original dash stashed away.

I’ll see if I can find a photo and follow up on this post.

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 03-19-2020, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivera View Post
I installed an aftermarket single din radio in my 69 which already had a badly butchered radio hole. One issue I ran into is the angle of the radio is up in the back, versus down like factory. The factory angle is set by the recess for the radio which positions the radio so it is more level. Because mine is angled up in the back, it interferes with the climate control levers and the mounting points. If I were in your shoes I would buy a hacked up dash and put a new single din radio in it. Keep the original dash stashed away.

I’ll see if I can find a photo and follow up on this post.
Yeah this is kind of the issue I'm having. The way the dash is designed it's just not really conducive of this while also making it look decent.

What I'm probably going to do is move around my budget a bit. Instead of the new 3 point seat belts, I'll retain my factory set for a while and move those funds over to going with the retrosound unit. I'll compromise a bit by sticking with the center dash speaker and 6x9's in the rear instead of purchasing aftermarket kick panels with provisions for component speakers.

The car is way too loud as it is to really care about quality audio.

Old 03-19-2020, 11:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jason - in this video there's a glimpse of radio at about 25 seconds and then around 7:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EobSWI7Ngi4&t=1s

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project