Old 04-23-2013, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Rebuilding 68 P/S Pump?

Fellas -

The p/s pump in my 68 Lemans was making a noise (did not go away when I added fluid) and looks like it was leaking, too.

I see remanufactured p/s pumps on eBay for $50 or so, but I think the kit to rebuild these is only $10 or so.

Is this more trouble than it's worth to rebuild one? I would imagine that you just disassemble, clean, blast, paint, reassemble with new seals. However, I don't know if mine has a bad bearing because of the racket that it's making.

Anyone have any experience here?

Thanks

Scott

Old 04-23-2013, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is this more trouble than it's worth to rebuild one?

Its not a hard job to put a new seal kit in but an easy one to make a mess of. Its hard to describe the mechanism that makes it work but I think of it as a paddle wheel. The metal shims fall out easy when you disasemble it.

I used the seal kit on mine and it it never worked right when I put it back together, that is to say it only worked once that I can recall when I fired up the car for the first time and then stoped working alltogether shortly after. I'm still baffeled as to why since it such a simple pump. I ended getting a unit from AGR to match a quick ratio steering.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:47 AM
Senior Chief

Usually once the pump starts making noise it's more than just a matter of cleaning/resealing the pump, most likely the pump rotor and veins are worn and need replacement. Replacing the pump is probably your best option in this case.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, fellas. I'll start looking for a replacement.

Any recommendations on where/what to buy? Looking for something nice, dependable, and correct appearing (doesn't have to be 100% accurate) at a reasonable price. Is that too much to ask for?

The ones on eBay make me nervous; mass produced rebuilds don't inspire me with confidence. I checked PY, but they don't have any listed.

Scott

Old 04-23-2013, 02:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just did this on my '67 after being disappointed with the replacements that didn't look right, had bad fit, etc. Pulled the original pump off of my '67 and rebuilt it with an $11 kit. Took longer to R&R the pump than to do the rebuild. Very easy. Good, step by step instructions are available on-line. You will need a pulley tool to press off the pulley, and to use care when lining the pump body back up. All in all, it's a simple, very satisfying job. I ended up with a 'new' all original, all correct PS pump for $11 and 2 hours of my time.