Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-08-2021, 11:25 PM
Senior Chief

1967 gto

Well I noticed something not good and I think this is why the cam isn’t sliding out easily. I see a tiny tiny bit of gulling of what looks like the front cam bearing ( are they aluminum) I cannot get the cam out . . I finally put a pair of big channel locks on the front of the cam and it takes some muscle to spin around but I cannot pull it out . My car ran great when I parked it last week . My goal here was just to put a 068 cam back in the motor

Old 12-09-2021, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bearings are aluminum mostly.

The end of the bearing may have some build up like varnish or crud.
Could try using a screwdriver/prying tool against the side of a lobe to try and push the cam while rotating it.
Once passed that part may slide out easier.

Try spraying with carb cleaner or even lubricate to help it slide out.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 12-09-2021, 11:35 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks
I’ll give it a shot . It’s tight in there . And now I’ve marked up the end of the cam with channel locks . I’m pissed ��

Old 12-09-2021, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by "QUICK-SILVER" View Post
I
..put the old cam in time on #1 cylinder before you pull the gears off. That's one crank turn from where you're at. Pontiac is dots together instead of dots up.
Do note the nose of the cam sticks all the way through the cam gear. That little bit sticking through is what the fuel pump eccentric fits on.
Dots together would be #6 firing, Both dots @ 12:00 is #1 firing.

Good advice on the Cam nose though, That gets missed many times during assembly

66 GTO, 495, M22, Strange S-60 w/4.10
Sold new at Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUHC-Z8xhtg
The Following User Says Thank You to Singleton For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2021, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto19 View Post
Thanks guys
I’m just a little confused. My plug wires are ran just like this picture out of my service manual. And my original distributor and vacuum advance is set in just Like the picture

I guess what I’m trying to get at . I read I should now mark the distributor with a felt pin at the block so I drop it in correctly when I’m done with the cam swap
Yes this is correct from the factory.

GT

Old 12-13-2021, 03:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just as well mention that it doesn't matter whether you install the timing chain assembly with dots facing each other or dots up. I prefer installing them close together since it's just easier to visually line them up. Before dropping distributor back in rotate crank one revolution if necessary to get the cam gear with the dot up. Up until the distributor goes in the engine doesn't care whether you have cam gear dot up or down.

If the previous cam was installed without enough clearance the cam and cam bearings will self clearance with the possibility of the Babbitt melting out of the way and forming a ridge at the front of the bearings. If not too bad, pulling on that long bolt and turning the cam with a crescent wrench adjusted to catch the woodruff key might twist the cam out without dislodging the bearings. With the engine still assembled and in the car you don't have many options.