Old 11-20-2023, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 70 gto fenders

Thinking of buying pair aftermarket fenders. Any recommendations? Or aftermarket no good?

1963 Cat SD Clone (old school) streeter
1964 GTO post coupe, tripower, 4speed (build)
1965 GTO 389 tripower, 4 speed, driver
1966 GTO dragcar
1966 GTO Ragtop
1969 Tempest ET clone street/strip
1969 GTO Judge RA lll, auto
1969 GTO limelight Conv. 4speed go and show (sold)
1970 GP SSJ
1970 GTO barn find..TLB…390 horse?….yeh, 390
1972 GTO 455 HO, 4 speed, (build)
1973 Grand Safari wagon, 700hp stoplight sleeper
525ci DCI & 609ci LM V head builds
Old 11-20-2023, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One flaw with the repro '70 GTO fenders that I've noticed first hand was the stamping of the passenger side fender in the heel area. That incorrect stamping left a considerable wider gap between the door & the back of the fender. That issue & the recesses for the small parking lamps not being stamped deep enough. Otherwise they are ok, par for the course. I've always kept the back bottom 20" or so out of original fenders that had collision damage in the front. Have also cutoff the front lower portions off of '70 GTO donor fenders that had extensive rust or heavy collision damage further back,. In one case, which a 70's bodyshop contrapted massive fender flares out of metal & a lot of bonds, I managed to save & use the front lower sections. To do so have ended up carefully scribing, splicing, butt welding, & metal finishing the repair section to a suitable donor fender. Problem today is even nice straight donor Tempest/LeMans fenders are getting hard to find.

Old 11-20-2023, 04:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
One flaw with the repro '70 GTO fenders that I've noticed first hand was the stamping of the passenger side fender in the heel area. That incorrect stamping left a considerable wider gap between the door & the back of the fender. That issue & the recesses for the small parking lamps not being stamped deep enough. Otherwise they are ok, par for the course. I've always kept the back bottom 20" or so out of original fenders that had collision damage in the front. Have also cutoff the front lower portions off of '70 GTO donor fenders that had extensive rust or heavy collision damage further back,. In one case, which a 70's bodyshop contrapted massive fender flares out of metal & a lot of bonds, I managed to save & use the front lower sections. To do so have ended up carefully scribing, splicing, butt welding, & metal finishing the repair section to a suitable donor fender. Problem today is even nice straight donor Tempest/LeMans fenders are getting hard to find.
Does metal work need to be done to fix the park lamp recesses? Or presentable as is?
I assume would have weld a bead to close gap on crack? Thanks for reply

1963 Cat SD Clone (old school) streeter
1964 GTO post coupe, tripower, 4speed (build)
1965 GTO 389 tripower, 4 speed, driver
1966 GTO dragcar
1966 GTO Ragtop
1969 Tempest ET clone street/strip
1969 GTO Judge RA lll, auto
1969 GTO limelight Conv. 4speed go and show (sold)
1970 GP SSJ
1970 GTO barn find..TLB…390 horse?….yeh, 390
1972 GTO 455 HO, 4 speed, (build)
1973 Grand Safari wagon, 700hp stoplight sleeper
525ci DCI & 609ci LM V head builds
Old 11-20-2023, 07:02 PM

Another option:
https://www.frankspontiacparts.com/u.../gtoparts2.htm

Old 11-21-2023, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In a word, they suck. At least mine did.

The curve at the back didn't match the factory doors. Had to make multiple cuts and reweld them to get anywhere close to decent.

As OPH said, the back edge at the top on the passenger side is not shaped correctly and resulted in a huge gap. I took a cut off saw, sliced it down from the top, pried the edge over and then welded in some metal to close the opening I created. This looks better that welding wire along the edge as it would be noticeable and you would need 3-4 passes of rod.

Top of drivers fender also did not match the curve of the hood, had a noticeable flat spot in the middle.

They were initially a blessing for me as my originals were rotten and creased, nothing could save them. If I had known how bad these were I would have tried harder to get good used ones but living in Canada the shipping is a killer so ordering "new" made sense at the time.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
The Following User Says Thank You to mrennie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2023, 08:13 AM

I only had to do the passenger side. I drilled out the lower spot welds on the heel and rolled it there so I could close the gap on top. Its been awhile but I think I had to open up the top mount to close the gap as well.

SC&C Stage II 17x8 with 255/50/17