Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 12-18-2023, 07:46 PM

Default 69 T/A Pypes 2.5" SGF70 system

I started a thread some months back when I was undecided on which exhaust system to go with on my T/A. Thanks to all replies, i decided on the SGF70 Pypes system with the transverse race-pro muffler. Was very pleased with how tightly it fit with no sag. After finally getting everything together, I fired up the freshly rebuilt motor for the first time, & man it's rowdy. I like it.
However, I found a leak where the pass. side manifold meets the downpipe. Seems the geometry is a little off, as the downpipe is not sitting flush on the manifold (original long branch). in order for it to fit properly, the downpipe would be angled up & hitting on the trans crossmember.
The folks at Pypes say they've never had this problem, and to loosen everything & try to manipulate it. No go.
I spoke with a shop that has a pipe bender to hopefully tweak it a little bit for me, but he said there's not enough meat on the end to clamp onto where the bend is to mount on the machine.
I then started to suspect motor/trans mounts. The trans mount I used was a thick polyurethane one that I removed & put the original rubber one back on. It improved it a little bit, but not enough. I'm now looking at the motor mounts. They're Butler, which I chose for oil pan clearance issues, as they were highly recommended to correct this common problem. I want to stick with them, but not if they are potentially the problem.
Before I go through the trouble of putting the original mounts back in, I'd like to get some feedback first, & see if anyone else has run into this issue. Any & all suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance. JAB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2534 (1).jpg
Views:	162
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	625243   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2535 (1).jpg
Views:	180
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	625244  

Old 12-19-2023, 03:11 PM

The pics are reversed, but you get the idea. Clearly the angle is off, & the soot shows it blowing out the top of the connection.

Old 12-24-2023, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not that I maybe any help to you, but in situations like this you pretty much need to take the exhaust pipe and modify it to suite your manifold. Nice if you have a chop saw and welder to cut and tack stuff. Looks like the exhaust pipe is cocked on the manifold as you noted. A good muffler shop can always make you a new piece of pipe for the manifold connection, and you can modify it to suite your manifold. Still need to custom fit it.

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
Old 12-26-2023, 09:28 PM

Thanks Chuckie, I've been thinking along those lines. I have a little vacation time left & hope to accomplish it before I start back to work. Happy New Year!

Old 12-27-2023, 12:18 PM

I'm having the same problems with RARE long branch and Pypes down tubes. My exhaust side leaks in almost the same spot. This past spring I had a local exhaust shop install custom exhaust system after the Pypes down tubes. Guess they couldn't get the angles right since they used a sealer when they installed the system. The sealer is
blown out now with the resultant leak. Thus is the second area exhaust shop that has done sub-standard work.

Old 12-27-2023, 01:54 PM

JLB, have you changed motor/trans mounts?

Old 12-29-2023, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabgolfcars View Post
JLB, have you changed motor/trans mounts?

I had put new engine mounts ln before installing the exhaust system. IIRC they were made in India.

Old 12-29-2023, 11:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

jab... just a thought on your exhaust issue. Could you possibly tilt the exhaust up where you need it to be and then make some pie cuts and then reweld it to point in the direction you need it?

Old 12-30-2023, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtospieg View Post
jab... just a thought on your exhaust issue. Could you possibly tilt the exhaust up where you need it to be and then make some pie cuts and then reweld it to point in the direction you need it?
Yep, I think that's the route I'm going to go.