Old 06-21-2012, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Speaking of an old post, it's been a year and 4 months since Charles posted about the meeting at Cardone......

Frankly, I doubt we will ever see correct pumps from them. I'm a skeptic.

George

Old 06-21-2012, 03:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by highrisk View Post
I know this is an old thread, but someone asked who makes the NAPA TFW 43102 water pumps. I have been checking into them and have discovered that the pumps are made by Gates. The Gates 43102 is the same pump. You can go to the Gates website and they actually advertise this fact. I posted in this old thread in case anyone else is like me and searching for a good pump. By the way, you can buy the Gates on Amazon for $28 compared to $46 at NAPA.
http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?br...cation_id=3006

Sorry to bring an old post back to life,
Dale

No need to apologize for providing a good service to other members here.

You should bring this old post back to life and thanks for posting the other info about the Gates/NAPA pumps and the Amazon pricing, all good info especially when we're going into the part of the year when the hot weather will be affecting these pumps and engines.

I'm like George, I said they (Cardone) probably wouldn't deliver and as of yet they haven't.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 06-21-2012, 07:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Speaking of Cardone, I called them to ask if they had any 11 bolt pumps for Pontiacs that had a cast iron impeller and was told no. So much for them offering a cast iron version of their pump.
Dale

Old 06-21-2012, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've not heard a word from Cardone. They were doing the correct 8 bolts pumps... I have one and was told they have others. But these other correct pumps were mixed in with the ones we don't want. I'll try and give them a call tomorrow morning and see what in hell is going on.

I'll also find out about the 11 bolt pumps.... if I can.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 1967Tempest

I got the pump on my car from Napa. I have had it for a few years. 11bolt. I DID have to clearance the divider plate.

I have not had any issues so far.

I wish the Evans pump was not so expensive!!!!

The Burb Files
Old 06-22-2012, 05:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Tempest View Post
I got the pump on my car from Napa. I have had it for a few years. 11bolt. I DID have to clearance the divider plate.

I have not had any issues so far.

I wish the Evans pump was not so expensive!!!!
The Evans would be my first choice also, but way too expensive. If they would make their price more competitive they would sell more pumps. Even though the NAPA pump has the smaller vanes, I am really attracted to the fact it has a lifetime warranty and I can return it locally if it fails instead of having to mail it to who knows where.

Dale

Old 06-22-2012, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by highrisk View Post
The Evans would be my first choice also, but way too expensive. If they would make their price more competitive they would sell more pumps. Even though the NAPA pump has the smaller vanes, I am really attracted to the fact it has a lifetime warranty and I can return it locally if it fails instead of having to mail it to who knows where.

Dale
DITTO!!!!!

A different search on Ebay provides some interesting results. Nice pump for 25$!!!!!! Look at the vanes!! WELL worth the 25$!!! Wrong color though...LOL!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380382187796...84.m1438.l2649

The Burb Files
Old 06-22-2012, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Tempest View Post
DITTO!!!!!

A different search on Ebay provides some interesting results. Nice pump for 25$!!!!!! Look at the vanes!! WELL worth the 25$!!! Wrong color though...LOL!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380382187796...84.m1438.l2649
Wow, nice find. I did some cross referencing and it comes out to be an Airtex AW975 that fits Buick, Oldsmobile, and Pontiac. That is if the AW975 on the box is really what the pump is. All of the other numbers I can't find. And, I don't understand the raised area were the casting number is, unless it is just an optical illusion from the angle of the picture. I also can't find the casting number 30799 anywhere and it won't cross reference to any GM pumps. The inside area passages also seem smaller than my 76 488296 pump. If I knew the seals had not dried up and gone bad it would be worth the $35 to get and repaint, or to just get the impeller, but the shaft could be a different size depending on the application. The seller doesn't seem to know much about it and his other items he sells are not car parts, they are antique collectables. HUMMMM. Decisions Decisions

Dale

Old 06-22-2012, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bad thing about all these water pumps you see advertised and for sale is..... they don't show a side view so you can see the vane height and contour. The ones Charles and I have are the correct imopellers for the 8 bolt pumps. If I can ever get the correct part number from Cardone, then you can order one thru them or your auto parts store that carries Cardone pumps. And yes, we were told they were doing the correct impeller for the 11 bolt pump too.

Update:
I called Cardone up in Philly today, three times. No answer but I did leave a message. I don't really expect a return call but you never know. I'll be sending out an email to my contact tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get an answer that way. If not.. then all is not lost.... there's is another option that's being worked on, but I can't say by whom or with what company. Right now tho it's the best option we have going.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 06-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been in contact with Chris at Arthur Gould and he said they could rebuild my 76 pump and put on the proper, original, long vane impeller. Even though my engine is a 69 I am not worried about matching numbers because it is in a 65 GTO so the car will never be numbers matching. He also said for me to send my divider plate with the pump and he would ensure the plate was properly clearanced with the pump. This is really sounding like one of the best options. I have a really good solid core, it just has a stamped impeller and is leaking so it needs rebuilt. It is not a 69 but I know it is not cracked or ate up with corrosion and has absolutely no rust.

Another option is with Water Pump Man. He has original cores with the proper impeller that he will rebuild for you. Right now I am waiting to hear back from him on what cores he has available.

The other option is to get a core from another PY member that has the proper impeller then send it to one of these guys and have them rebuild it. This is the most expensive way to get an original impeller but it is still a lot cheaper than an Evans pump. I originally started looking on the forums for a pump and thought I would get it rebuilt locally, but no one in my town rebuilds water pumps anymore. So that really put the brakes on that idea.

Like I said before, it would be a lot easier if Evans would just drop their price a little so they were more competitive price wise. This water pump issue is actually more difficult than deciding on a cam

Dale

Old 06-23-2012, 10:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Email sent to Cardone this morning. I came right out and told them everyone thinks they dropped the ball on us. I either p!ssed them off or lit a fire. Hopefully I'll hear something on Monday or get a phone call.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 06-23-2012, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Groovy. I would be willing to buy one. Even though my Napa pump work well, I would be willing to swap it out and try it. What does it take an hour plus 50$..

If it drops temps 5* it would be worth it!!!

The Burb Files
Old 06-24-2012, 04:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gary,
Let me know what you find out. If they can actually come up with an 11 bolt with the proper impeller, not the cut down version, I would buy a new one versus sending my current one off to get rebuilt.
Dale

Old 06-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have seen some 11 bolts new GM units on ebay just put in this # 12309445 , cast impeller looks a bit different that the earlier ones .

Old 06-25-2012, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was able to get a 11 bolt pump with the original larger impeller from Michael Scott at waterpumpman.com rebuilt and ready to go. He has cores that he rebuilds and sells. I was not concerned about the proper casting number or date since this is a 69 428 in a 65 GTO so he was able to work a deal for a pump in great shape that cost me about the same as sending a pump off to get it rebuilt. I should have the pump later this week and I'll let you know how it looks. But, I thought this was a great option versus getting a new pump with a cut down cast impeller, or a piece of Chinese crap from the local part store, or paying $185 plus $15 shipping to Evans for one of theirs.

Dale

Old 06-25-2012, 10:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dale, is there a part number on the original cast impeller on that pump you got? And can you post it or PM it to me. That will help us immensely.

Called Cardone today and got an email back too... Says they are work in it all. I'm going to call again sometime tomorrw if I can.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 06-26-2012, 08:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Dale, is there a part number on the original cast impeller on that pump you got? And can you post it or PM it to me. That will help us immensely.

Called Cardone today and got an email back too... Says they are work in it all. I'm going to call again sometime tomorrw if I can.
As soon as it comes in I will post it. It should be here tomorrow or Thursday.
Dale

Old 06-26-2012, 10:10 AM

Just an FYI, waterpumpman has a 9796351 that I believe is a 69 short neck model on ebay for $239. He says this particular one is rare but I'm posting it so that you can see what the impeller looks like.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PONTIAC-GTO-...item48424c6c48
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9796351 wp.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	288961  

Old 06-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Boy, that looks right!

Old 06-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's what they all should look like instead of the cut-down diameters of some of the aftermarket versions.

george