THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Exclamation Toyota Recalling 7.43 Million

Here we go again. World wide.

"....the latest quality woe for Japan's top automaker."

http://www.newser.com/story/155540/t...mpaign=rss_3_2

Old 10-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The power-window switch on the driver's side didn't have grease applied evenly during production, causing friction in the switch and sometimes smoke,

Friction in a window switch because it didn't get some grease? REALLY?Is that the best anti-toyota crap you can come up with?
This is such a lame NON story.

Last edited by sleepy; 10-10-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Or a lame excuse to fix something else and blaming it on the window switch.

I worked at a Toyota dealership '68-70 for about 2.5 years.
Quality of paint, workmanship and general mechanical problems. Gutless, low mileage and rusted through in some cases in less than 2 years unless undercoated. Then, where the undercoating did not get they rusted through. FJ series was the worst with quality and poor mileage. Worse than V8's by Ford and GM. No Dodge dealer there. None held up very well with gravel roads as we did not have a lot of pavement in Kodiak at that time. Rear windows leaked on the sedans. I did not sell them but my guys serviced them. Even then, hard to work on.

Figured I would never buy one and never have. I hear good things about them but as some buy them based on GM or Ford or Chrysler stuff in the '80's mine goes back further. VW dealer did well and held up better.

Last edited by Jack Peters; 10-10-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I feel left out, my wife's 2007 Sienna doesn't seem to get any recall notices. Wait, there was one on the spare tire holding cable, but we haven't bother to get it taken care of yet.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Suspended

It must be GM's fault.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Peters View Post
Or a lame excuse to fix something else and blaming it on the window switch.

I worked at a Toyota dealership '68-70 for about 2.5 years.
Quality of paint, workmanship and general mechanical problems. Gutless, low mileage and rusted through in some cases in less than 2 years unless undercoated. Then, where the undercoating did not get they rusted through. FJ series was the worst with quality and poor mileage. Worse than V8's by Ford and GM. No Dodge dealer there. None held up very well with gravel roads as we did not have a lot of pavement in Kodiak at that time. Rear windows leaked on the sedans. I did not sell them but my guys serviced them. Even then, hard to work on.

Figured I would never buy one and never have. I hear good things about them but as some buy them based on GM or Ford or Chrysler stuff in the '80's mine goes back further. VW dealer did well and held up better.
Then you should know that old six banger was based on a Chebby engine then right ?

How many 1968-70 make of any car do you see still driven daily anyway ?

That six cylinder they made (the OHC one) was tough engine; they've pushed 1200 hp

on late 1990 Supras with a stock botom end ; how many cars can handle that ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
The power-window switch on the driver's side didn't have grease applied evenly during production, causing friction in the switch and sometimes smoke,

Friction in a window switch because it didn't get some grease? REALLY?Is that the best anti-toyota crap you can come up with?
I'm sure the death count will start any second now.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

455 Grandville.
Yes the FJ and Land Cruiser had a chevy 6 in it it was just metric. Still did not get very good mileage. Also would not go much over 50 and road like a brick.
None of the cars had 6 cyl they were 4 cyl and they still rusted through in 2-3 years. Just not good metal. I have seen FJ's that were 4-5 years old that had to have front fenders replaced and quarters rusted through. Neither GM or Fords of the same years had that problem.
I am not talking about cars 30 years old on the road today. I was talking about cars 5 years old and newer rusting through. Just not good metal. I was there and ran the shop.

All I am saying that everyone at one time or another made some bad stuff. Nobody is perfect. Not casting stones but am stating facts as they were 44/45 or so years ago when I was 21/22.

Last edited by Jack Peters; 10-11-2012 at 01:40 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:46 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post

Unless this was GM then you would be all over it. LOL

Old 10-11-2012, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not for a window switch that didn't get "evenly applied" grease.
NO brake pads from the factory?
Motor mounts rusting out and dropping the engine far enough to break the stearing?
Catching fire 3 weeks after an accident.
Burning down your house because the charging cord is garbage?
YES I'd be all over that.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Peters View Post
455 Grandville.
Yes the FJ and Land Cruiser had a chevy 6 in it it was just metric. Still did not get very good mileage. Also would not go much over 50 and road like a brick.
None of the cars had 6 cyl they were 4 cyl and they still rusted through in 2-3 years. Just not good metal. I have seen FJ's that were 4-5 years old that had to have front fenders replaced and quarters rusted through. Neither GM or Fords of the same years had that problem.
I am not talking about cars 30 years old on the road today. I was talking about cars 5 years old and newer rusting through. Just not good metal. I was there and ran the shop.

All I am saying that everyone at one time or another made some bad stuff. Nobody is perfect. Not casting stones but am stating facts as they were 44/45 or so years ago when I was 21/22.
What American inline 6 made many years ago got good gas mileage ??

Ford 300s, Chebby 250s, AMC 258s were nothing to brag about. Slant sixes were not all that, either.

I knew someone who had a Landcruiser in highschool (cira 1990) and it made it to 75 mph; but plenty of Jeeps were low geared as well - they're off road vehicles.

Plenty of Vegas and Pintos back then rusted bad and then you had the Vegas engine failures.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sure is a creative way to get their customers back into the dealership to look at new vehicles ......... ahhhhhmmmm

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft