Old 02-27-2021, 12:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1962 GP Drum Brake Self Adjust Mod

I’ve been following another post about the 61 safari but I haven’t been able to find info on my 62 GP. I’ve researching the archives but I couldn’t find anything. I would like to modify my power drum brakes to self adjust. Any help is appreciated.

The Following User Says Thank You to DiamondJim For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2021, 01:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Aren't the brakes identical from 1961 and 1962?

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2021, 04:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought the safari had different brakes? I may be wrong.

The Following User Says Thank You to DiamondJim For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2021, 11:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Checking the parts book leads me to believe that the brake shoes are the same 59-63 frt with no Safari exception. Rear are same 59-62 rear with 63 being different. Not sure why. But the self adjusting started in 63. Which may explain why the backing plates are same for 61-62 but 63 is different.

There was recently a thread about this subject that said you could make the backing plates for 61-62 work for self adjusting but needed to make a new adjusting slot.

Since the shoes are the same it would seem that simply adding the self adjusting mechanism and adding the slot would be what is needed for a conversion to self adjusting. So much of this is interchangeable year to year and my 61 manual says nothing about Safari being different in 61. There were standard and also heavy duty but the heavy duty seem to be the police option.

Old 02-27-2021, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

'63 parts can be used to add self adjusters back to '57 on the rear, likely the front as well but I cannot vouch for that.

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 02-27-2021, 07:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So has anyone used adjusting kits H2508 and H2509 and doting kit H7018 to convert a Pontiac between 59-62 to self adjusting? From what I’ve read I’ll need to cut a slot in the backing plate for an adjustment slot and possibly drill my shoes mounting holes slots out to 3/8” in the center. Any used the kit numbers to do the front? Thanks for helping me.

Old 02-27-2021, 07:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Should say spring kit H7018

Old 02-27-2021, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The secondary shoe has to be modified to accept the self adjuster mechanism if you use original 59-62 shoes

Old 02-27-2021, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So I need to order 63 shoes all around?

Old 02-28-2021, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What is the modification required to use with 62 shoes? Is it opening the slot to 3/8” or something else?

Old 02-28-2021, 06:36 PM
Suspended

I would leave them alone.. You get a much better performing brake system when its adjusted manually. Don't forget the Anchor Pin adjustment.. I jack the rear end up and run the car in neutral, see if one wheel spins faster then the other if it does add more to the faster side and bring them both to the same. Also before starting remove both drums and see what speed the rear end comes to in N.. That's the speed you want the back brakes to be slightly slower then.. This works much better with a standard differential..
Once you take your time and really do a quality adjustment you'll never want those self adjusters.. They never get the brakes at there optimal point, they usually adjust the brakes too loose with the cross adjustment always off..

I adjust my brakes every thousand miles, unless the pedal seems low..

Last edited by 389; 02-28-2021 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-28-2021, 11:53 PM

Yes those are the correct kits. I also bought new shoes . The difference is the 61 shoes have a slot instead of a roungdhole for the hold down spring on the adjuster side. I tried just drilling the slot open to 3/8 but said heck with it and just got new shoes. I think Lil Abner posted this which shows where everything goes. So far so good on the fronts. Everything went together well and I am pretty sure they are working but havent really driven much yet. I used wagner z160r front shoes and ordered bs228r for the rears. These are riveted shoes. If you look on rockauto you can see the slots vs round holes. And yes i did have to drill a few holes to make a new window to get the adjusting spoon in there because the start wheel is in a different place with the self adjusting setup

https://www.pbase.com/nufsed/drumbrake

Old 03-01-2021, 12:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks guys