Old 02-29-2020, 06:44 PM
Senior Chief

Default Help with installing 65-66 wagon power windows

I pulled a set of power window regulators out of a 65 Bonneville station wagon for a friend. He has a friend of his trying to install them in a 66 Chevy full size wagon. My Hollander Interchange book says the regulators interchange between 65-66 full size wagon but he can't figure out how to make them fit, i.e. which holes he has to drill in the inner door skin. Does anyone have any pictures of a 65-66 B body wagon with the inner door panel off, specifically a car that had/has power windows in it?

I know from doing other conversions the dimples will be there, just the holes will need to be drilled but he's 1200 miles away from me so I can't help much!

The 4 door sedan power windows are the same setup but I know there's not much chance of someone having a sedan with power windows.

Thanks.

Old 02-08-2021, 07:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a wagon with power windows. I can get a better picture later if this one doesn't do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	power window.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	560396  

Old 02-11-2021, 02:30 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks, he did eventually get it figured out apparently.

Old 02-15-2021, 02:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Carl, I sent you a PM a few days ago asking about other parts that might be on the wagon. Would that wagon happen to have had the filler plate between tailgate and wagon floor?

Old 02-15-2021, 11:22 PM
Senior Chief

Hi Mick

I'm not sure what went wrong but I never saw a PM from you and when I checked just now, nothing showing there.

Anyway, I'm afraid I can't tell you about the car at the moment. It's on the wrong side of the Canada/US border.... (I can't cross into the US until the restrictions are lifted) and the car will also be buried in snow at the moment. I hope to get back there in the spring and I can sure check.

Old 02-16-2021, 07:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed View Post
Carl, I sent you a PM a few days ago asking about other parts that might be on the wagon. Would that wagon happen to have had the filler plate between tailgate and wagon floor?
I'll stand corrected if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, the filler section was only on cars that had the 9 passenger option. It was there to prevent feet getting trapped in the gap.

In 1965, I believe you could not get a Bonneville wagon as a 9 passenger. Only Catalina's had that option. Hence if the car that the power windows came out of was a Bonneville, then no filler section.

In 1966, yes, you could get a Bonneville wagon with the 9 passenger option.

Am I right about that???

Old 02-16-2021, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm just learning about the wagons. Afraid you are probably correct, and if so that really reduces the chance of finding a filler panel from slim to really slim - bummer. I've only had the car six months and seems a lot of things are specific to the 9 passenger Catalina wagon. Seller had the car painted about 14 years ago and that shop lost quite a few items. I was lucky finding the rear quarter moldings on eBay.

The shop also lost all the emblems on the tailgate. The seller had used some eBay separate stick-on P O N T I A C letters across the tailgate panel. I looked on Ames and then have a set of trunk letters that might work but they are listed as only fitting 1966 trunks. So have both the year and fitting a trunk against me, but maybe Pontiac used the same letters? Bonneville wagon would be out as a donor because of the massive molding with Bonneville script back there. Wonder if anyone might have access to 66 PONTIAC trunk letters they might measure or have any source of letters either used or new? Guess there is also the possibility that the holes for the letter pins might have moved between years, but hoping they didn't.

I did find a beautiful NOS 1965 Safari script for the tailgate from a Pontiac guy that used to sell at the Pomona Swap Meet here in SoCal. Hated to pay his price but it's on the wagon and looks great.

Sometimes things go right. The tailgate window motor was burned out and thought it looked familiar and it turned out to be the same as one of the '67 GTO power window motors that I had stashed away from the junk yard years ago.

Last edited by lust4speed; 02-16-2021 at 02:53 PM.