Old 02-06-2021, 01:12 PM

Default 64 Bonneville convertible top “roof silencer” source.

I’m about to order and install a new top on my 64 Bonneville. The 1964 Pontiac Body Shop Manual specifies a “folding top roof silencer” under the top material and, it appears, spanning the header and the first bow. It is glued and tacked to the front header (as the top is) and slides on to the first bow and is secured with the listing retainer that secures the top. I don’t have the original top to reference so I’m wondering if you guys know what that panel is and where to source a replacement.

I’m sure it’s not necessary but it seems it would be nice to have. I recall watching a 64 Pontiac advertisement film touting how much quieter the convertible ‘64 Pontiac top was than the previous year and maybe even a 64 Cadillac. I always wondered how since they all, currently, use the same top.

Thanks.

Old 02-06-2021, 04:15 PM

To clarify, I’m not talking about the two narrow top pads that go between the frame and the top. The panel in question may fit between these pads.

Old 02-08-2021, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default convertible top silencer

The fabric is called bow drill . Pontiac convertible top had a loop cemented to the top for the center bow. Chevy top did not and ballooned up at high speed. The original tops had brass zipper . Plastic back windows had a date code on the lower left side. the silencer had a insulator that was 7" by 48" either glued or stitched in place. Convertible top well was not the same as chevy . the center part of the well had insulation in-between the materials to act as a sound detonator. some back windows come with a date code plastic window but have a stamp with DOT in it that didn't come out until 1966. Just a lot of details if you want things correct.

Old 02-08-2021, 11:39 AM

That’s some interesting information there, thank you. I’m not a fan of ballooning at speed, I wonder if any of the top manufacturers include the cemented in loop for the center bow or if they all follow the Chevy top construction? If so, which suppliers/manufacturers? (Ez-on, Robbins, Miami Corp, Kee) And do any use brass zippers?

I’m considering sewing up a silencer panel and sewing in some sound absorbing material in to my well liner. I daily drive my, um, “old cars” and the extra sound absorption sounds worth the effort to me.
Thanks!

Old 02-08-2021, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You have to tell them you want that loop for a Pontiac and a brass zipper would be extra as most are plastic. the silencer is glued to the side pads and the front header panel and connected to the center bow with a loop that screws into the top bow as in the 1964 body shop manual. I would leave the install of the top to a shop vs doing it by myself. unless you do that for a living. electron tops are just sold to shops to install and order when I did mine.

Old 02-09-2021, 02:27 AM

Thanks for the Electron Top suggestion. I see where they offer the bow drill panel for Caddies. Now I know it exists in the aftermarket (and how they attach). If I can’t get it from them maybe I’ll sew up my own. I’d love to know what they use in the panel (and on the well liner) for silencing material, and how thick the finished panel is.

I’ve done a few tops in my day, they’re not too difficult if you work patiently and pay attention to what the material is telling you. I actually enjoy doing them. I will admit, though, this sort of project is not for everybody. ;-)
Cheers.

Old 02-19-2021, 11:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default silenser

Found this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	john#2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	561159