Old 12-07-2016, 03:06 PM

Default The Big cat so far! Journal.

Hi everyone and welcome to my Journal for my first Semi Sleeping Muscle car.
Ive been in love with japanese cars and, finally felt real v8 muscle this past year. My knowledge is vast as I have a 1200 horsepower subaru(flame suit on) but, not much fit the mold of these pontiacs or muscle. So I hope I can gain knowledge and be Mr. Excitement for a while. Im a young gun in this arena at 29 so bear with my lack of experience and knowledge. Im willing to learn, listen and, explore. Hope to learn alot as I want to keep this Poncho forever.

fore we go further heres the specs on the car:

389 v8 2bbl, 15H block number(267hp, 10.25 C.r.)
-Stock heads
-Mild cam from previous owner, feels near stock
-headers and flow master dual exhaust
-HEI
-spread bore intake with square bore adapter with 4bbl 750cfm
-3 core radiator
-TH400 automatic 3spd transmission

As of right now, ive been doing maintenance on it as it ran and drove when i picked it up.

Parts replaced:
-Entire brake system besides hardlines(just getting it ready to drive before disc brakes)
-all fluids changed and flushed
-new radiator, spark plugs, lines and other maintenance thats been needed.
-Heater core is leaking so I have to divert the coolant until I get a solid heater core

The next steps outside of maintenance is to enjoy and romp the motor while slowly bringing it up to Superduty or HO or GTO spec. Heads and cam are my main concern right now and cost efficiency so stock is the way to go!

Here are the pictures of when I first got it! all the trim is there, just off as i was inspecting the car! any input is always great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cat5.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	442227   Click image for larger version

Name:	cat6.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	442228   Click image for larger version

Name:	cat7.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	442229  

Old 12-07-2016, 05:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome to the forum! Looks like a solid car.

Old 12-07-2016, 05:48 PM
Senior Chief

1200hp Subie! Guess it isn't a stock EJ207 with 60psi? lol

Love the '63s and fully support the idea of a Super Duty tribute!

Old 12-08-2016, 10:38 AM

Thanks Stuart! I hope to make it even better! The under body is nearly rust free as well. Gas tanks good, bodys in good shape. I plan on using some por15 products in the spring for the floors as theyre still good.

Marv, very close lol. its a stroked, bored, sleeved EJ207 to 2.23 with a custom turbo setup. it held up for a couple thousand miles before it started to weep oil from various places. thats another winter project but, its going back to a daily with different attributes.

:::I pulled the starter motor as it was screaming for attention by its silent not there assistance to spinning the motor. I was on my back pulling it off thinking about the 2 liter coke bottle size and how other starters like on my subaru is about the size of a pepsi can, when i finally undo the final bolt and it comes crashing on the hand that was supporting it! holy heck are these all sorts of heavy! Found a local guy to rebuild it for 60 bucks which was nice. Hoped to do it myself but couldnt pass up an expert rebuild.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"fore we go further heres the specs on the car:"
Before we go any further, tell you don't have a "Man Bun"

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 12-08-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 694.1 View Post
"fore we go further heres the specs on the car:"
Before we go any further, tell you don't have a "Man Bun"
LOL! No man buns. Just an affinity for my beard nice and trimmed and good whiskey!

Old 12-08-2016, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome to the best Pontiac forum on the block!

Your details aren't filled in as to where you are.

Where's home?

Old 12-08-2016, 02:30 PM

good ol NYC! thanks for the welcome! gonna put some more notes in right now!

Old 12-09-2016, 11:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice looking Cat!! I would be tempted to do a Super Duty type build on this one.

716 heads just as cores run about $600-$750 currently and likely still need work. Have seen some that were ready to run with new valves for around $1000. If it were mine, I would take a serious look at aluminum d-port heads. Both Edelbrock and KRE have them and are great but cost $2000+ or find someone's iron headed stroker or 455 build to drop in there.

Welcome to the forum!

65 Cat Ventura, 66 Cat Vert, 63 GP
Old 12-10-2016, 12:13 AM

I love the super duty name. Lol. I want to but i cant even find specs on a super duty. Help for my youngin a$$ would be good. And im right there with you. If i put down 2k for heads it would have to be for super duty. Any other route would be 455. Still trying to research. So much info! Thank you 63gpman!

Old 12-10-2016, 09:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No matter what, building a 400 or 455 will be cheapest & easiest route. That is not what I do, which is how I know! Build one with a TH400 on it while you drive car as is & then swap it. Car looks cool as is. You are in the best/only place to get it sorted out. My advice is to get it drivable, and keep it that way as much as possible while you do the work. These things take a long time & with this particular car it can take a long time to find parts etc., which leads to a lot of sitting in some cases. Not good and not as much fun.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 12-10-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead View Post
No matter what, building a 400 or 455 will be cheapest & easiest route. That is not what I do, which is how I know! Build one with a TH400 on it while you drive car as is & then swap it. Car looks cool as is. You are in the best/only place to get it sorted out. My advice is to get it drivable, and keep it that way as much as possible while you do the work. These things take a long time & with this particular car it can take a long time to find parts etc., which leads to a lot of sitting in some cases. Not good and not as much fun.
I definitely agree. Unfortunately though, just rebuilt the starter and, took a look at the mounting point on the block. I guess the TH400 didn't fit perfectly with the the original starter mounting point. the threads are shot, getting come helicoil now hoping to get that going. shoddy weld job too.

Ill be looking for a 455 over the winter and, hope this starter mounts. the car runs fine. I drove it around before the starter blew.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

did you take any pics of what you have going on? I red through some other threads and though you had a 63 block. Curious to see in a photo how it is mounted.

65 Cat Ventura, 66 Cat Vert, 63 GP
Old 12-10-2016, 10:47 PM

you read correctly. its a 63 motor engine code 15H. I saw that some thought it wasn't supposed to be mounted on the side of the motor? The mounting has seen better days. Will post some up tomorrow morning to get clear photos

Old 12-10-2016, 11:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A T400 won't fit on a true 63 block without a adapter for the starter.There is no pad on the block to mount the block mounted starter.Maybe some one cobbled up some kind of bracket for it some how.Tom

Old 12-11-2016, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
A T400 won't fit on a true 63 block without a adapter for the starter.There is no pad on the block to mount the block mounted starter.Maybe some one cobbled up some kind of bracket for it some how.Tom
That's exactly what it looks like. Thank you as always Tom. I'm not sure how it held so long. I'm gonna figure something out. Just tough now that the weather is now coming in this week.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Get the adapter and use the correct starter.Your problem will be solved.Tom

Old 12-11-2016, 12:54 PM

yeah I'm there with you. I believe I found the adapters on summit racing. trying to find the correct ones.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome to the Darkside. May the torque be with you.

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:49 PM

66Bonne! Thank you! I hope to rip tires off soon! lol!

Heres the update on how the starter was mounted. im still trying to contemplate it all just to get it running and to figure it out along the way. I really want to enjoy it for my mild drives to work. about 2 miles one way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blockresized.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	442568