Old 02-19-2021, 03:10 PM

Default 70 Trans Am Spiral Shocks

Hey Guys, Now I am looking for recommendations on locating the proper Spiral Shocks that have the correct date codes and part number stamping. I'm sure NOS will be impossible to find so what would be the best remedy. Thanks in advance, also this forum has been very helpful with my project, I appreciate all of your help.

Old 02-19-2021, 08:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The spiral shocks installed at Sub Assembly on your subframe were Never available over the counter at the dealership. I looked through many shelves of dated shocks and parts when I was working at a Pontiac dealership in the 70's. We always installed a delco single valve replacement ( garbage, like the originals) shocks, and later "pleasurizer" shocks.
So the Spirals were Not a over the counter item and unlikely to find them as "New old Stock".
They were installed in Millions of cars though.
I do believe a repop is out there for cars you "do Not drive".. Unsure, but I bet you can get a date stamp for it as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to Formulabruce For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 12:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Several times I've got into old dealership stock deals that the bulk of the parts cache had been setting or hauled out in the mid 70's, then stored, & there were NOS spiral shocks in the mess dating from '62 up into the early 70's. One large previous dealership parts haul off had been setting for near 20 years when I stumbled onto it in the early 90's. Out of that deal alone, I hauled out 4 apple boxes full of nos spiral shocks. Each box was so heavy I had to shuttle 1/2 an apple box at a time to the back of my Cherokee. It also took several years to identify all of those spirals.

Agree the Delco Pleasurizers were plentiful in the mid 70's up into the 80's. I've literally seen several big pickup loads of Pleasurizers in dealership buyouts & at swappers over the years. Never given much credence to purchasing Delco Pleasurizers for any of my keepers, as they are incorrect in a Concours build.

There is a fellow in Kansas that can provide rebuild original spiral shocks with internals out of NOS spiral shocks. Not cheap, around $250 a spiral shock. His name is Dan Patch, will dig out his contact info.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 02-20-2021 at 12:11 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 'ol Pinion head For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 12:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

http://dansshocks.com/spiral-shocks/

Dan Patch (913) 515-3721