Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-21-2020, 12:49 PM
Senior Chief

I tried a super sucker 1 inch spacer today. The system took a bit to relearn its map as it was a rich from the beginning. MAP readings where lower and the system was operating in a lower range on the MAP scale. Most cruising and off idle MAP readings were between 30 and 40 which is quite a bit lower. I was seeing high 20's sometimes.

Warm idle vacuum was 17 to 17.5 now.

I can't comment on max HP as I don't have a dyno or drag strip runs to compare the different spacers, but for day to day driving and fuel mileage I'm happy with the results of experimenting with the spacers. I will fill up the tank and do my gas mileage circuit with the super sucker to see how it compared with the 1 inch open.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:20 PM
Senior Chief

I checked mileage on the last tank of gas. With the super sucker spacer, I got 15.2 mpg for a mix of highway and city. The tank also included a run through 1,2,3 gear, a 3rd gear pull to 5500 and a 4th gear pull to 5000. WIth those runs factored in, I'm ecstatic with the mileage. Usually when I check for mileage, I try to keep rpms under 2500 and drive it easy.

Old 03-28-2020, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The super suckers, or taper spacers, what ever you want to call them, are designed to help the fuel distribution under the carb. I would assume they would do the same with a throttle body unit as well since you're still mixing fuel with air.

I haven't known them to work on a dual plane, especially a short version where the taper would be right against the divided plenum on a dual plane. But something I'm wanting to try. Good to hear you're getting good results from that deal. I've witnessed them on single plane intakes on the dyno however increase HP as much as 18-20hp without any other changes. They are definitely worth experimenting with if you have the hood clearance.

Just a little insider info on those things, Jeff Koerner, Paul C's engine building business partner, designed those many years ago when he found how horrible the fuel distribution was on a carb by looking down the throat while at WOT on a dyno. So he came up with that spacer design, which turned out to be the cure. Didn't patten it however. I assume Wilson quickly took that design and ran with it. Now everyone copies that design, they are available in many generic forms. My son even made one in college using a CNC and water jet, taking measurements off a spare Wilson super sucker we have here.

Old 03-28-2020, 03:06 PM
Senior Chief

The latest thing I am trying is a 1/4 inch open spacer between the intake and the super sucker. I'm seeing what that might change if anything. That is the extent of my hood clearance, although the shaker fits great with the extra 1/4 inch of height. It sits nice and tall in the hood opening.

Old 03-28-2020, 11:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1980 TA View Post
The latest thing I am trying is a 1/4 inch open spacer between the intake and the super sucker. I'm seeing what that might change if anything. That is the extent of my hood clearance, although the shaker fits great with the extra 1/4 inch of height. It sits nice and tall in the hood opening.
That's what I was hinting at and want to try on the dual plane.

The super sucker stuff going on under the carb is about an inch thick so if you go with a tall super sucker like a 1 1/2" or 2" then the rest of the spacer underneath below the shaped taper stuff, is just an open spacer.

On a dual plane, I have reservations with a 1" super sucker because it's so short, and the fuel is just getting a chance to work around the taper and then hits a divider wall. So not sure what that does for fuel distribution. I'd be willing to try it though. On a single plane though, they work fantastic.
We have a 1 1/2" Wilson super sucker as a spare, and the last 1/2" under the taper is just an open spacer. I'm wanting to try this one at the track on one car here that runs an RPM air gap intake and see how it affects things. So far that car has run it's best times with a simple 1" open spacer under the carb.