Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 04-03-2021, 10:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by burd View Post
There’s a few places marked off to race if you know where they are.
There's more than a few!

Old 04-03-2021, 11:01 PM
Suspended

LOL!

GTO George

Old 04-03-2021, 11:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Your right that the best part of Milan is out on the track by far I have no problem with it but the rest of it is a pos. Personally I would go to Stanton before Milan if it wasn’t 3 hours farther away. I went to 42 last year ever that’s the best track I have ever been down it’s smooth as can be.

Old 04-04-2021, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A cop rolled up on my buddy all strapped in w/ a helmet on at the Pontiac location, he did get a ticket. Lol

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 04-04-2021, 10:54 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandam1979 View Post
Your right that the best part of Milan is out on the track by far I have no problem with it but the rest of it is a pos. Personally I would go to Stanton before Milan if it wasn’t 3 hours farther away. I went to 42 last year ever that’s the best track I have ever been down it’s smooth as can be.
Ive been to a lot of drag strips and except for the newer ones they all seem to need something. Norwalk is the BEST of ALL of them.

GTO George

Old 04-04-2021, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
Ive been to a lot of drag strips and except for the newer ones they all seem to need something. Norwalk is the BEST of ALL of them.

GTO George
I can appreciate you guys wanting nice tracks , but as the Guys in LI and CT will attest your lucky to have any track at all. When they are gone you’ll miss even the biggest POS track so patronize all the tracks and help keep them open.
You don’t know what you’ve got til it’s gone.

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 04-04-2021, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I went to Detroit Dragway one time it must have been about 1990 I worked at Guardian Glass in Carlton for a couple years. I was runner up that night so got to make a bunch of passes. I still have the hand written time slips. If I remember right didn’t you pull up and back onto burnout box? George you definitely race a lot more than I do but you have to admit Milan is definitely just frozen in time nothing changes it just get older. Personally I hope someone gets it and makes it nice it could be a great track.

Old 04-04-2021, 06:33 PM
Senior Chief

The problem is no spectators. Look back to the mid 60's to late 70's, the grand stands were filled in my case, every Saturday night, so their was a lot of excitement in the air. That is contagious. Lots of people means lots of people wanting to build a car. Go now and its just the racers. They are busy with their car so no one is really watching the racing. With the exception of a few big races when the track brings in some big names. Its so boring, when a racer is eliminated, he packs up and leaves, and its not over yet. Its just not the same, we need to find a way to get back to those times. That's the way I see it anyway.

Old 04-05-2021, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I get it tracks going away is bad the point here is they took themselves out in this case.

Old 04-05-2021, 09:39 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by burd View Post
A cop rolled up on my buddy all strapped in w/ a helmet on at the Pontiac location, he did get a ticket. Lol
My son lives in Pontiac, he said Royal Oak has been out in force ticketing and towing like crazy.

Old 04-05-2021, 11:41 PM

Ticketing and towing who? and why?

Old 04-06-2021, 12:29 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack P. View Post
The problem is no spectators. Look back to the mid 60's to late 70's, the grand stands were filled in my case, every Saturday night, so their was a lot of excitement in the air. That is contagious. Lots of people means lots of people wanting to build a car. Go now and its just the racers. They are busy with their car so no one is really watching the racing. With the exception of a few big races when the track brings in some big names. Its so boring, when a racer is eliminated, he packs up and leaves, and its not over yet. Its just not the same, we need to find a way to get back to those times. That's the way I see it anyway.
Thats not completely true.....now days its more of a family deal, with Motorhomes and Jr. Dragsters and golf carts and 2,3,4 day races families are going to camp and relax at night around a fire after racing all day. Spectators aren't always in the stand during racing they are at the starting line and staging areas.

GTO George

The Following User Says Thank You to GTOGEORGE For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2021, 01:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

At Samoa it was packed in the 70s and 80s with spectators. We got to race last year but only with no spectators. Turnout, total amount of people was about the same.
This covid BS is a shame. in 2019 we had a race where Nostalgia Funny Cars showed up to race 1/8 mile that was advertised on TV locally.
That place was PACKED. Thousands showed up. cars were backed up for miles trying to get in. We were on to something good for the track. Then the plague hit.
Good new is Test and Tune is this month. So we are RACING !!

Old 04-06-2021, 10:33 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by higgenslake View Post
Ticketing and towing who? and why?
They are cracking down on cruisers and street racing. They are getting them for speed and smoking tires. I guess the businesses' and local families are complaining about the noise and ruckus created by them.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:49 AM

I heard from people in the know around me that the owner of Milan, Bill Kopolka borrowed money from Les Goulde, the owner of Motor City Pawnbrokers (TV show: Hard Core Pawn) and put the track up as collateral which is now in receivership as the Loan was defaulted. They are scheduled to go to court on friday April 9th. We have been racing there since the Motor City Dragway days (60s-70s) so being the biggest of the two tracks left in SE MI we're praying it stays open but the writing could finally be on the wall for it now. On the other hand Lapeer was always a sleepy little run down track however it did sell a few years ago and the new owner spent a couple million on it so I'm sure many racers will be showing up now. Mid Michigan, US 131 and of course Norwalk are in a whole other league but being a 3 to 4 hour tow each way makes it tougher for someone in the Metro Detroit area to hit the track on a regular basis. So far it looks like this is the 'Bummer of the Summer'...Tignanelli brothers Tom and Jim. Shadowoods Racing.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited by nikrnic; 04-07-2021 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:43 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikrnic View Post
I heard from people in the know around me that the owner of Milan, Bill Kopolka borrowed money from Les Goulde, the owner of Motor City Pawnbrokers (TV show: Hard Core Pawn) and put the track up as collateral which is now in receivership as the Loan was defaulted. They are scheduled to go to court on friday April 9th. We have been racing there since the Motor City Dragway days (60s-70s) so being the biggest of the two tracks left in SE MI we're praying it stays open but the writing could finally be on the wall for it now. On the other hand Lapeer was always a sleepy little run down track however it did sell a few years ago and the new owner spent a couple million on it so I'm sure many racers will be showing up now. Mid Michigan, US 131 and of course Norwalk are in a whole other league but being a 3 to 4 hour tow each way makes it tougher for someone in the Metro Detroit area to hit the track on a regular basis. So far it looks like this is the 'Bummer of the Summer'...Tignanelli brothers Tom and Jim. Shadowoods Racing.

Milan can open this year, it just need someone to buy it. I hear there are a couple of interested parties. I would imagine its a basically turn key operation since they were racing up until october....even farther last year with no problems.
Ive been to Lapeer..........WAY to skinny, although they repaved it but why so skinny is beyond me. Mid-Michigan isn't a bad strip (my first race this year....Memorial Weekend).......pit roads are a but shaky for a LOW sitting car. There is Ubly and Northern Drag strip, Ubly isn't too bad, I've never been to Northern and there is US131 I heard that its really nice!

GTO George

GTO George

Old 04-07-2021, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
Milan can open this year, it just need someone to buy it. I hear there are a couple of interested parties. I would imagine its a basically turn key operation since they were racing up until october....even farther last year with no problems.

Ive been to Lapeer..........WAY to skinny, although they repaved it but why so skinny is beyond me. Mid-Michigan isn't a bad strip (my first race this year....Memorial Weekend).......pit roads are a but shaky for a LOW sitting car. There is Ubly and Northern Drag strip, Ubly isn't too bad, I've never been to Northern and there is US131 I heard that its really nice!

GTO George

GTO George
I sure hope your right George and it remains in operation. Ive raced Ubly I called it my nemesis, it's OK you really got to get on the brakes at the stripe though, it's short. I believe Northerns an 1/8 MI. I have a friend that used to race and live nearby. I passed by many times heading up north but never stopped. O well, time will tell. I guess you can Pawn a dragstrip..

Old 04-07-2021, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikrnic View Post

That’s what I was told also about the pawn shop guy and going to court.

Old 04-19-2021, 10:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

131 is very very nice. It’s been years since I raced, but at the time every bit as nice as Norwalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1966 GTO Hardtop - PS 14.84 @ 97mph
Old 08-06-2021, 10:19 AM
Suspended

Milan Dragway has been bought and remain a drag strip!

GTO George will