THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:03 AM

Default Haggerty vs AAA Roadside Service Experiences

Just wondering what other's are useing and their tow experiences. I have Haggerty and recently used it for first time and it did not go well (waited 5 hours for tow to arrive).

This was not in middle of one of the western desert states but an hour and half from large city in rural area. My thinking is service would have been fine in metropolitan area where the tow company drivers can be see parked at convenience stores waiting for a dispatch but that Haggerty doesn't contract enough providers in rural areas so you have to wait for one to come from city.

The Following User Says Thank You to 69 Limelight For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 Limelight View Post
Just wondering what other's are useing and their tow experiences. I have Haggerty and recently used it for first time and it did not go well (waited 5 hours for tow to arrive).

This was not in middle of one of the western desert states but an hour and half from large city in rural area. My thinking is service would have been fine in metropolitan area where the tow company drivers can be see parked at convenience stores waiting for a dispatch but that Haggerty doesn't contract enough providers in rural areas so you have to wait for one to come from city.
I bet AAA would be the same. Those companies pay the tow operators a flat rate which is lower than the going retail rate for towing; plus they have to wait to get paid after submitting the claim. I have both AAA and Hagerty. I needed a car towed out of my garage within an hour. The tow company said they couldn't do it in that amount of time but if I paid with cash, or check they would be right over. They were over in five minutes and did a fine job.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pershing For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2021, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have Hagerty but use my AAA for towing.When I swapped the engine in my 69 bird,I had AAA flat bed it to the header shop.,no issue.Tom

Old 04-29-2021, 12:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My starter totally failed while at a car show. I called Haggerty and their contracted tow company was there is a very reasonable time. They transported both the car and my wife and I and placed the car in my garage. I don't think I ever saw a bill of any kind.

The Following User Says Thank You to JimFB400HO For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2021, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have used Haggerty a couple of times, I don't think the wait was any longer than I have experianced with AAA in the past, but as already stated the tow company will respond better to a cash tow than the contract towing they have signed on for.

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)
Old 04-29-2021, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Forget towing as part of any insurance plan for most of a collector's needs. AAA gets the lowest priority from tow operators, and not much higher for other insurance tows.

Get a couple business cards from local tow guys, call them directly, inform them you'll pay cash, tip them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
I have Hagerty but use my AAA for towing.When I swapped the engine in my 69 bird,I had AAA flat bed it to the header shop.,no issue.Tom
I believe AAA only allows 4 tows a year nowadays.

Old 04-29-2021, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have whatever the top level is for AAA and use it fairly often. (Blown tire on the Yukon, getting the Pontiac towed - getting rescued when stranded, etc.)

Last time, I was out cruising and the Hurst got itself tangled up at a light and wouldn’t go into gear. I was stranded in the middle of the street. Truck was there in 10 minutes.

I started tipping the tow truck drivers a few years ago, and they always seem surprised.

Old 04-29-2021, 03:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Service through any road assistance program is going to be largely dependent on location. I have AAA and have always gotten quick service, but I live in a major metropolitan area with many towing service companies close by.

Old 04-29-2021, 05:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Service through any road assistance program is going to be largely dependent on location. I have AAA and have always gotten quick service, but I live in a major metropolitan area with many towing service companies close by.
I once waited 5 hours for AAA in Orlando, whose headquarters are in nearby Lake Mary. Other times were shorter, but still measured in hours.

Add the annual limit of four tows and it's no longer a good value proposition.

Old 04-29-2021, 05:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess im lucky,never had to wait very long and have never had to use them four times in a year.Tom

Old 04-29-2021, 05:52 PM
Senior Chief

The only time I had to wait an unusual long time, and I’m probably talking maybe 90 minutes, is when the triple A operator gave the towing company the wrong location.

Old 04-29-2021, 06:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My personal experience with Hagerty was about a 20 minute wait.

Recently had a person with AAA wait 2 hours for them to show up.

Both claims were made in Rochester, MN.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A few other things to consider. AAA will NOT cross state lines to help you and they limit their service to a 100 mile radius around there brick and mortar locations.

My daughter, her BFF, and her BFF's parents rented a brand new Yukon for a spring break trip from Illinois to Texas. On the way back they decided to take a different route through Arkansas on the way back. Well the damn Yukon suffered a major drivetrain failure in Pocahontas Arkansas. AAA refused to cross state line from both Memphis TN and Springfield MO to assist them. Basically told them tough luck and not to abandon the car because the renters are responsible for returning the car and any damage is on the renter.

Furious, I hitched up my trailer and drove down from Peoria, picked them up, loaded the dead POS on my trailer and headed it back. They sat in a Walmart parking lot for fourteen hours before I could get there. AAA just plain sucks A$$.

My $.02

The Following User Says Thank You to RAJ7395 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2021, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
I guess im lucky,never had to wait very long and have never had to use them four times in a year.Tom
I was thinking the same thing, I guess I'm really lucky and never needed a tow yet. Probably shouldn't have said that. LOL

Old 04-29-2021, 07:55 PM
Senior Chief

Pretty scary to think someone needs 4+ tows per year

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonsie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2021, 08:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 Limelight View Post
J...This was not in middle of one of the western desert states but an hour and half from large city in rural area. My thinking is service would have been fine in metropolitan area where the tow company drivers can be see parked at convenience stores waiting for a dispatch but that Haggerty doesn't contract enough providers in rural areas so you have to wait for one to come from city...
There is your answer.

If you live in "Real America", this is what happens - nothing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scarebird For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2021, 10:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsie View Post
Pretty scary to think someone needs 4+ tows per year
I guess you've never owned a GM vehicle with Opti-Spark...

The Following User Says Thank You to einstein For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2021, 10:24 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein View Post
I guess you've never owned a GM vehicle with Opti-Spark...
You got that right. Looks like you have, and that's your tough luck, so now you need to deal with it.

Old 04-30-2021, 12:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My General Lee broke down two weeks ago. AAA had a flatbed there in 30 min and I just used the app- no reason to talk to anyone. It new exactly where I was and I could track the driver similar to an Uber.

RAJ7395- Your daughter should have called the car rental company; it’s their responsibility.I had that happen once between SF and Sacramento. Rental car co had a guy show up with a car for me and he waited for the tow truck.

Old 04-30-2021, 07:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dont have Hagerty but do have AAA premium. I broke down in my daily dr. last summer (in the middle of an intersection none the less). I was about 45 min from home, all of the local tow companies I searched with my phone did not answer. I called the ones local to me that I know and they couldnt get there for a few hours. Finally did get a local guy to tow me to a business I deal with. Next day I did get my local guy to retrieve the truck. Total bill for both was over $300. I had assumed my AAA was expired, by pure coincidence the very next day I got an email that it had been automatically renewed. I didnt know I checked that feature. I called AAA explained my circumstance, they understood, said to submit form and they would reimburse. 3 months later I got a letter back that my claim was denied because I didnt call them first.

Many years ago I had to call them, the first question they asked was 'if I was in a safe place?' I said no way that I was in a bad neighborhood and scared to death. Tow truck was there in half hour. I was in my own hometown safest place around.

My brother had insurance towing on his Motorcycle. He broke down, waited so long for the tow he finally got a taxi to get home and left his bike. He went the next day to retrieve. Ins. towing failed that time.