Old 05-09-2021, 09:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD455DJ View Post
I'm running the MT Sportsman S/T's...so far I like them better than the BFG TA's, and they were cheaper and have nice smaller solid white letters that have stayed white over the past 2 years since I bought them.

My only complaint is the perimeter sidewall scallops/ribbing (for lack of a better term) looks too heavily textured to me. I prefer the total smooth sidewall look like on the original Wide Ovals and Polyglas tires, even the original Goodyear Eagle ST's...but, still they are very good tires.

Dennis

Dennis
yeah they do have more tread ribbing on the sidewall than a BFG or other period correct repro tires, ive seen a few "modern" radials look like that, cooper cobras have the same look & even have an added band under the sidewall tread, this pic shows it somewhat but its even more pronounced in other pics online.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cooper.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	566196  

Old 05-09-2021, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe they are there for improved water rejection(?)...sounds good to me!

Dennis

Old 05-09-2021, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

hard to say why, but many of the modern higher speed rating 15" tires have that look, cooper & the M/T have the same speed rating & a similar tread pattern.

Old 05-09-2021, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think they call them all season. That could be why

Old 05-09-2021, 09:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That would be interesting , considering that I’m guessing that less that 10% of these cars are used ‘all season’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-09-2021, 09:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’m still torn between the less expensive BFGs (or M/Ts) or just springing for a set of Firestone Wide Oval radials. Of course, if I went the Firestone route, wouldn’t it make sense to just swap out the GY PolyGlas tires and keep the car riding in the JW wheels, whine I think look much better than the later 15x7 wheels.

By the way, the previous owner (Gary in CA) told me he bought those PolyGlas tires in 2009. They have less than 5K miles on them, but is it a good idea to run around on 12+ year old tires, regardless of the miles?

Old 05-09-2021, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerboy View Post
I’m still torn between the less expensive BFGs (or M/Ts) or just springing for a set of Firestone Wide Oval radials. Of course, if I went the Firestone route, wouldn’t it make sense to just swap out the GY PolyGlas tires and keep the car riding in the JW wheels, whine I think look much better than the later 15x7 wheels.

By the way, the previous owner (Gary in CA) told me he bought those PolyGlas tires in 2009. They have less than 5K miles on them, but is it a good idea to run around on 12+ year old tires, regardless of the miles?

As long as there is no cracking I wouldn’t worry about it. I would go the bfg route if you want to drive it. No disrespect but those m/t’s with the thread on the sidewall look like a mud tire.

Old 05-10-2021, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by weranc55 View Post
As long as there is no cracking I wouldn’t worry about it. I would go the bfg route if you want to drive it. No disrespect but those m/t’s with the thread on the sidewall look like a mud tire.
Chuck, They really do help when I'm boondocking in the Formula (hehe!)...

Dennis

Old 05-10-2021, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you do not think a 60 series Radial on a 7 inch tim will "roll" an Inch or more, look it up. Plenty of video proof.

Old 05-12-2021, 09:00 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Ponchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerboy View Post
I picked up a set a clean set of 15x7 Rally II wheels for my '70 TA.....What's the widest I could run (on a 15x7 wheel) and would you recommend staggered widths (a bit narrower up front)?
According to Google, it appears to be P255/60R15.
This will work with stock suspension.