Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-27-2021, 08:05 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim1959 View Post
Ok, sounds good.

Do you have the dyno numbers for idle on up? Was curious as to the HP/TQ numbers since the tunnel ram is often looked down on as a streetable piece at these lower RPM's.

Again, most will say the tunnel ram is for mid-to-upper RPM's but from your dyno sheet, this does not seem to be the case. It seems to peak at a perfect RPM for a street engine.

I am going more for the period look with my set-up, using velocity stacks topped with a Hilborn style scoop.

Another thing I see. You have the finned valve covers. Make sure you have breathers. I see the oil fill cap, and assume a breather on the other side? I also have finned valve covers and will be using the Moon add-on breathers ala the old school look. I mocked them up on an engine I have sitting and will mount the breathers permanent when I have the tunnel ram in place on the engine.
I don't have numbers from idle up, but the car drives great. Crisp throttle response and lots of low and mid power. I do have a breather on the passenger side and PCV valve in the valley pan. Your set-up looks sweet! What's it going in?

97 F250 7.3 turbo diesel
85 CJ7 Laredo
65 Impala SS 396, 4 spd, A/C.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:09 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneypit View Post
I don't have numbers from idle up, but the car drives great. Crisp throttle response and lots of low and mid power. I do have a breather on the passenger side and PCV valve in the valley pan. Your set-up looks sweet! What's it going in?
OK, driving impression sounds like what I wanted to hear.

Putting the engine in a 1968 Lemans I've had about 20 years. Was on the road about 8 of those. Doing a frame-off resto-mod ala mid '70's look, TKO-600, Ford 9", tunnel ram, big & littles, one piece fiberglass tilt nose, jacked up, white interior, tilt steering column, Grant steering wheel, Jensen door speakers in my new white door panels, Kraco under dash 8-track, and all the extra gauges outside the windshield. LOL

Got side tracked with a 1948 International Box truck I am rebuilding for my brother. Have not touched the '68 in 4 years, but I have been purchasing a boat load of parts that'll make it quick to put it all back together. The body is back on the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn4038.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	567404   Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn4596.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	567405   Click image for larger version

Name:	03  Ready to roll.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	567406   Click image for larger version

Name:	07 Rear sway bar.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	567407  

Old 05-27-2021, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Asked in post number 8 but it's still not clear. I presume the testing was performed on a engine dyno and not a chassis dyno.

A water brake engine dyno like a SuperFlow needs to be set to operate in a certain rpm range based off the torque the engine is producing. After some initial pulls and adjustments to the brake, you start testing at a certain rpm. More often than not at about 3000 rpm and up.

"Starting engine dynamometer pulls at low rpm is hard on the dyno and hard on the engine. Today, engine dynamometer testing is an integral part of many HOT ROD engine buildups and product tests. Typically these tests start no lower than 2,800 rpm, and often higher."

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/dyno...often%20higher.

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 05-27-2021, 09:56 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post
Asked in post number 8 but it's still not clear. I presume the testing was performed on a engine dyno and not a chassis dyno.

A water brake engine dyno like a SuperFlow needs to be set to operate in a certain rpm range based off the torque the engine is producing. After some initial pulls and adjustments to the brake, you start testing at a certain rpm. More often than not at about 3000 rpm and up.

"Starting engine dynamometer pulls at low rpm is hard on the dyno and hard on the engine. Today, engine dynamometer testing is an integral part of many HOT ROD engine buildups and product tests. Typically these tests start no lower than 2,800 rpm, and often higher."

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/dyno...often%20higher.

Misunderstood the question in post #8. Testing was done on a engine dyno at Westside Performance in Houston TX.

97 F250 7.3 turbo diesel
85 CJ7 Laredo
Old 05-27-2021, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Westside Performance is a good shop. I've had a few dyno sessions there, the last was in Oct this year. Cost at that time was $650.

I mentioned the tid bit about a engine dyno because it was asked about numbers for idle on up.

Nice build.

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 05-28-2021, 08:51 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post
Westside Performance is a good shop. I've had a few dyno sessions there, the last was in Oct this year. Cost at that time was $650.

I mentioned the tid bit about a engine dyno because it was asked about numbers for idle on up.

Nice build.

Thanks Steve, good people at Westside. Mine was done in January, same price.

97 F250 7.3 turbo diesel
85 CJ7 Laredo