Old 05-02-2021, 08:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 79 Trans Am rear fender flare mounting question

Hello guys,
I took my rear fender flares off my 79 trans am and noticed a rubber gasket type material between the flare and fender on one of them and not the other.
Is this thin rubber necessary as I am going to remount them to the fenders. If it is necessary where would I find it and or what can I use?
The rubber broke apart and is not useable.
Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks

Old 05-02-2021, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Firebird rear wheel spoilers use them to help seal the gap better. Surprising thought the Camaro Z28s do not use them. They sell them separate but they have to be painted.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 05-03-2021, 08:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Used on the fronts as well. I believe there was a guy on here that was selling some that he made molded in colour. I painted mine and after being on the car for a few years they are still doing great.

Old 05-03-2021, 08:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Called spoiler welting, you can get it by the foot from Ames.

Old 05-03-2021, 11:36 PM
Suspended

Not sure if the same guy with a different name or just his products, only a few options left

https://www.ebay.com/sch/32861jta/m....p2047675.l2562

Old 05-08-2021, 11:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks guys,
It looks like I am missing all 4.
I will have to get the melting color matched. Does it need a flex agent in the paint?
it looks like the melting is applied to the flare spoiler first and then the spoiler is mounted to the car is that correct?
Thinking about not using them but it is a much cleaner look.

Old 05-09-2021, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes applied to spoiler first. Glued

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 05-10-2021, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I cut mine to a bit longer than needed then painted. I cut some wood strips to mount the welting to. The slot that goes onto the spoiler fits over the stick. A yard stick will work just about perfect. I used the same paint I used on my car. I was told by the paint vendor that both the paint and clear have enough flex added already (think about how much plastic is on modern cars) so I did not add any. Even with the bending around the spoiler for install I had no problems with the paint. They have been on the car for 5 or 6 years now and still look as good as the day they went on.

I used 3m weather strip glue to install them. I put the glue on the chanel towards the back side sparingly. Need to be careful that stuff gets everywhere. I used some tiny spring clamps to hold things into place. The tight bends at the top need a relief cut out of the back side and some extra clamping and maybe some blue tape to hold in place for a day or two until the glue sets up. Originally they had a staple driven in place to hold them.

Old 05-10-2021, 11:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I cut mine to a bit longer than needed then painted. I cut some wood strips to mount the welting to. The slot that goes onto the spoiler fits over the stick. A yard stick will work just about perfect. I used the same paint I used on my car. I was told by the paint vendor that both the paint and clear have enough flex added already (think about how much plastic is on modern cars) so I did not add any. Even with the bending around the spoiler for install I had no problems with the paint. They have been on the car for 5 or 6 years now and still look as good as the day they went on.

I used 3m weather strip glue to install them. I put the glue on the chanel towards the back side sparingly. Need to be careful that stuff gets everywhere. I used some tiny spring clamps to hold things into place. The tight bends at the top need a relief cut out of the back side and some extra clamping and maybe some blue tape to hold in place for a day or two until the glue sets up. Originally they had a staple driven in place to hold them.
Thank you, this is great information.
I also talked with a body guy that has done some work for me. He recommended that (as long as I mounted the newly painted welting a few days after the paint dries) they should flex and be just fine. He just said that you want the paint dry but not fully cured and the paint should flex just fine.
I am a GTO guy and have never worked with the welting so it will be a lessoned learned.
Thank you all

Old 05-11-2021, 08:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I will try to get some pics put up tonight or tomorrow morning of the clamps I used. They are really tiny spring clamps from HD, I think at the time they were maybe .10c. I bought a handful and they have come in handy for quite a few different jobs.

Old 05-13-2021, 03:56 AM
Suspended

These days with half of the car panels being a flexible plastic or ABS, the paints tend to already have flex agent added or built-in. As mentioned, it's more for the first few days when installing and wiggling panels into place when the paint needs to flex, rather than when installed but still somewhat flexible. The flare welting is slightly different being a seal that needs curving during install, flexing more than a panel would need to. You still don't want to bend or kink it by accident to test how flexible, the paint may stay intact but lift off the part in that location over time as a result.

Old 05-13-2021, 08:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus78Formula View Post
These days with half of the car panels being a flexible plastic or ABS, the paints tend to already have flex agent added or built-in. As mentioned, it's more for the first few days when installing and wiggling panels into place when the paint needs to flex, rather than when installed but still somewhat flexible. The flare welting is slightly different being a seal that needs curving during install, flexing more than a panel would need to. You still don't want to bend or kink it by accident to test how flexible, the paint may stay intact but lift off the part in that location over time as a result.

I cannot disagree, however I did just that with a piece I tested the paint on. I literally bent and twisted it beyond anything it would ever have to do. The paint was fine. I did not do this to the piece I installed for the above reasons.

Old 05-27-2021, 02:17 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The welting came today- any secrets as to how to straighten to paint and how to glue it on the flares. What brand and description of the type of glue to use would be helpful.
Thank you.

Old 05-27-2021, 08:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

put the welting on a long stick, a yard stick (does anyone remember what they are?) is perfect.

I used 3m weather strip adhesive to glue mine in place, but on the tall back edge only. That stuff is VERY messy and will get everywhere.

Old 05-29-2021, 11:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks TAKerry,
So glue the back edge and fit to flare and clamp to dry?
You described using a type of spring clamp in an earlier post - do you have a photo of the type of clamp used or a description.
Thank you

Old 05-31-2021, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry for the delay. I only check in here every few days. I should be in the shop today, I will get some pics.

Old 05-31-2021, 02:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thank you - I will be getting to the welting project soon and any and all info will be helpful.

Old 06-17-2021, 06:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have the weatherstrip adhesive. Seems like some nasty stuff to work with.
I will be painting the welting for the rears this weekend and hopefully gluing to the flares on Monday or so, before the paint is completely setup for more flexibility in the mounting.
Any secrets to the process of glueing them on?
Also what adhesive remover do I use incase I get clumsy?
What clamps do I use? Or does the glue setup quickly - instructions say to apply glue to both surfaces- allow 10 minutes and bond the two together.
Any advise is helpful
Thank you.

Old 06-21-2021, 03:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I replaced my painted welting with the color molded version a couple of years back.

Some pictures here;

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=795597

1974 Trans Am, 400 4-speed, 3.42 rear.

Old 06-23-2021, 12:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I replaced my painted welting with the color molded version a couple of years back.

Some pictures here;

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=795597

Very helpful,
Thank you