Old 06-08-2021, 11:49 PM

Default ‘70 Replacement Axle

Last year I bought a really nice restored ‘70 T/A.
Since getting it I have only driven a few miles but had someone following me say the right rear wheel looked to “wobble”.
I pulled the wheel and rotating the rear end it looks as the plate the studs press into has a slight in and out to it. Extrapolate that out to the edge of the tire though and it is pretty noticeable.

Wanting to keep the car as original as possible, what am I looking for in an axle?
Are there date codes or numbers on an axle to be aware of?
Idea on where to get one?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Old 06-09-2021, 04:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Look for one from a 70 Chevelle, Monte Carlo ,Camaro or ElCamino,they are all the same as the T/A.

Old 06-09-2021, 04:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I get teased by some for chasing numbers and dates, but this is one of those parts that I wouldn't worry too much about;
as long as it looks like a GM axle if the wheel is pulled, no one will ever know it was a replacement axle.

There are many great dismantlers in your state - I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a good used replacement.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 06-09-2021, 07:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I don't have any insight on your question about codes or numbers, but as a strange coincidence I just bought a 70 TA and even though it has had a fairly nice restoration, it still had a bunch of issues to be fixed one of which was a bent rear axle. That was just one of the surprises. That problem itself was sort of irrelevant since I had to swap out the rear gear anyway, which was a significant surprise expense. As far as what specific part they installed, I have no idea, but it's not bent. And if anyone ever asks me if I have numbers matching axles, I'll punch them in the nose.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 06-09-2021, 07:27 PM
Senior Chief

If just replacing the axle, I would not be concerned. Most shows the most they will look for is whether a 10 bolt or a 12 bolt, or a F*rd. A fanatic might look at the code stamped in the tube and if a posi (did all 70 TAs have saf-t-track or was that later ?) does it have the whale oil tag.

Old 06-09-2021, 07:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by padgett View Post
If just replacing the axle, I would not be concerned. Most shows the most they will look for is whether a 10 bolt or a 12 bolt, or a F*rd. A fanatic might look at the code stamped in the tube and if a posi (did all 70 TAs have saf-t-track or was that later ?) does it have the whale oil tag.
70+ Trans Am's always had posi.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 06-10-2021, 11:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got a pair of OEM GM 70 TA 12 bolt rear axles you can have. PM me with your contact information if you are interested.

Old 06-11-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
I just bought a 70 TA and even though it has had a fairly nice restoration, it still had a bunch of issues to be fixed one of which was a bent rear axle. That was just one of the surprises..
When I come to this forum I am normally only looking in this area, the 70-73 Firebird Tech. I remember your thread about the headliner, but didn’t see if you had got the car. After you said you did I searched your posts and found the thread you did on it in The Lobby (may need to look there more often!).
Very nice car.
I spent a few years as well looking for the right car, I found mine in St
Louis. Like yours, it’s really hard to go back through the previous owners to find who actually did it and when. Mine looks to have been sold through about 4 collectors over the last 20 years as it sits now, and none of them had the restoration done. The most I have found out is it was done in Texas over 20 years ago with all OEM parts (so the story has been passed on). In the 20+ years it had a little over 500 miles put on it.

This is my online photo album of it:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQNNiic

Old 06-11-2021, 01:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMunger View Post
When I come to this forum I am normally only looking in this area, the 70-73 Firebird Tech. I remember your thread about the headliner, but didn’t see if you had got the car. After you said you did I searched your posts and found the thread you did on it in The Lobby (may need to look there more often!).
Very nice car.
I spent a few years as well looking for the right car, I found mine in St
Louis. Like yours, it’s really hard to go back through the previous owners to find who actually did it and when. Mine looks to have been sold through about 4 collectors over the last 20 years as it sits now, and none of them had the restoration done. The most I have found out is it was done in Texas over 20 years ago with all OEM parts (so the story has been passed on). In the 20+ years it had a little over 500 miles put on it.

Super nice looking car you have there too. I finally have my car back and all sorted out but between work and the weather, I haven't really had it out much. I have driven it enough to say that do really like my new 3.31 gear though. I've got to get some pics with the new BFG tires too.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 06-12-2021, 11:19 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMunger View Post

Picture from flickr so you don't have to search but there are many more

Beautiful!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mike's 70 TA.jpg