THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-16-2021, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Another Buying Saga

Well, some of you may remember what a hard time we had buying a fridge, last year.

This year it's a simple light duty 16' utility trailer.

I can remember when these were $995 a pop. And there were plenty of 'em at every trailer dealer. They were probably the most popular trailer sold, back then.

But, everything has changed, now. The most popular trailers are now the single axle trailers, which can be used for hauling mowers, 4-wheelers, ATV's & other toys. There are PLENTY of those around, new & used.

BUT, the 2-axle, light duty, 16' utility trailer is a different story. For one thing, at all area dealers, the price is now WELL over $2000 + TT&T.

And, that's if they even had one, or could even get one. The trailer builders are way behind. And they're not building any cheap trailers. They're building the big money trailers 1st.

SO, that has created a real sellers market for this type trailer. I've been on FB Marketplace lookin for trailers for a couple of weeks now. People have drug out their old trailer, with rotten boards, bad tires, broken jack, & no title, & asking $2000 or near that, for 'em.

I found an ad for a dealer in Miss. Shows just what I want, for a good price. So, I called to see if one was actually in stock. Just as I figured, none in stock. She said that she had some trailers ordered, but none expected 'til Aug, at least. Said she had deposits from 18 guys, for trailers she has ordered. Offered to take my deposit for one. RIGHT !

I did find one in stock in Tyler Texas. He said it is $1850 + some sort of out-of-state charge. Of course, with TT&T added, the total cost will be well over $2000. But, that's several hundred under any price I found in Louisiana. I'd also have to add the cost of gas for the trip. Tyler is a 3 hour drive from here. We made the trip many times, back in the '70's when we raced there.

I've also talked, by PM, to the owners of several used trailers. As mentioned, anything that looks decent, at all, is priced just about the same as these cheapest new ones I've found. It's ridiculous !

The old rule of thumb is that a good used item is usually worth about half of what a new one like it would cost. That rule of thumb won't work with this item, at this time.

For you guys who have plenty of time, check the prices of some new & used 16' light duty 2-axle utility trailers in your area. Maybe you live close to a builder who is not behind, & has one for sale. I'd be interested to know the numbers for these, in other areas of the country.

Old 06-16-2021, 07:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default A Quote

Got this quote from a dealer in Caddo Mills TX.

It started out lookin good, at $1495. Then they started adding in the "hidden fees". Plus it's a long pull from here to there. They did say they had one in stock. But, it ain't the one for me.

Wouldn't allow me to copy & paste. But here are the numbers.

Item Total - 1,495.00
Fees - 181.25
Surcharge - 373.75
SALES TAX - 116.80
Total Quoted Price - $2,166.80

Again, this is just a light duty angle iron trailer I can pull with our Tacoma. Anything heavier duty than that gets up close to $3000, quick. Car haulers are now closer to $4000. These prices have really shot up recently.

Here's a typical wood floor model. After all the added fees, it's a $4000 trailer. And anything with a metal floor & other upgrades goes up from there, quickly.

https://www.txtrailercountry.com/202...TXj%7CF9e.html

Last edited by ponyakr; 06-16-2021 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sign of the times!

Old 06-17-2021, 09:41 AM
Senior Chief

In Florida there is an average $670 fee for "documentation". Have seen a grand before since has no limit.

Old 06-17-2021, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a hitch installed a month ago and while in the trailer store there were at least 3 walk-in customers being told the dealer had zero inventory. I live in a big ATV/SxS recreation area and like campgrounds, demand is stupid crazy. Here is the only ad I found on the local FB Marketplace. I saw no ads for used trailers. My guess is anyone that owns one is getting offers to buy every time they take it out..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-06-17 074223.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	568367  

Old 06-17-2021, 05:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, that's even a little higher than here.

Wonder if the trailer makers will get caught up next year sometime & prices will drop ?

Old 06-17-2021, 07:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yeah, most dealers around here have very little inventory.

Old 06-17-2021, 10:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
Wonder if the trailer makers will get caught up next year sometime & prices will drop ?
They will. It's just a matter of time.

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old 06-18-2021, 12:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I went to an estate auction tonight at my new home, I thought I might be able to buy a trailer reasonable, no such luck.

A 10,000# used 16 foot trailer went for $4,000, the had 2, 16 foot 7,000# trailers that went for $1,900, and a single axle utility trailer that went for $900. I was shocked that they went for that much money, needless to say I kept my money in my wallet.

On Marketplace in and around Ohio used trailers are all over the place. 16 foot trailers can be as cheap as $800, or as high as $3,000 for 7,000#.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 06-18-2021, 11:13 AM
Senior Chief

Thoughts on trailer towing - ignore if feel OT.

Just a note but nearing 50 years of towing today I find a tow dolly covers 90% of my needs and in Florida neither the dolly nor the TOAD need be licensed/insured. Usually tow a RWD (Fiero) backward with the steering tied down. Have a couple of big tow bars but have not used this century. My dolly also steers (lock when enpty).

For the other 10% my Jeep qualifies for anything U-haul has and have used their tandem axle car hauler a few times. I only use trailers with brakes and have an 802-11 (long range) TPMS set for any rolling wheels (once detected a dragging brake when the wheel temp rose).

ps for amateurs like me, I drive on temperature and can monitor tire, coolant, oil, and trans temps. When had a TD I also monitored EGT. Just a suggestion.

Old 06-18-2021, 02:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I currently own 3 tow dollies, I don't have to have a trailer as long as the cars roll, but not everything you come across will roll down the highway on one end. I also have a wrecker with wheel lift, but it's not completed yet. Same problem as a tow dolly, at least one end needs to be highway worthy.

I'm just going to tear the top end off the chassis of my 27 foot 1978 Holiday Rambler and keep the chassis for a fifth wheel trailer. I sometimes haul steel tubing lengths, or lumber that a wrecker, tow dolly, or even a dually stake body just can't haul because of the length of what I'm hauling. Depending on what you're hauling sometimes only a trailer is the only reasonable option.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated