THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-18-2021, 08:15 AM
Senior Chief

Default Hernia surgery questions?

Having gastric hernia surgery in two weeks. Seems to be a common deal. I'm sure some of you have went through it. I've never had any kind of surgery in my life (I'm 56).

What can I expect as far as recovery time and any long term effects???

Thanks for any info.

Old 08-19-2021, 01:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Had mine about 6-7 years ago, men was in groin area. 6-8 weeks recovery with no work, no lifting. Light duty when back to work, no heavy lifting
for a few more weeks, even after I got help with anything heavy. First couple of days I barely got out of bed, but slowly got up and moving around.
I would feel pulling for a few years, yup a few years, had mesh put in, ( not sure if they do that anymore). Hope you have help at home for the first few days.

Old 08-19-2021, 07:24 AM

I had mine when I was about your age also. Groin area surgery. As long as you follow your surgeons advice you should be fine. I started to move around the yard and did very light exercise about 2 weeks after the surgery. I got a double layer of mesh and have not had any problems since. Keep a good supply of bags of frozen peas or corn around, they make a great ice packs for inflammation. I think I was out of work for about 6 weeks, no light duty at our company, so I had to get a release from the urologist.

Old 08-19-2021, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had the groin surgery about 4 or 5 years ago. Outpatient surgery on Friday morning. I felt ok friday evening (still on hospital pain meds), saturday morning was feeling a bit sore. I only took 2 of the perc's they gave me, flushed the rest and used over the counter. Im self employed, was back to work on Monday, albeit very light duty. Couldnt lift for a few weeks, but I was feeling fine by mid week. Its no big deal really. When I went to the doctors office initially, he had to push it back in to make sure nothing was twisted. That was by far the worst pain I had felt in a long time. Kinda like someone hit me with a baseball bat! After that experience the surgery was easy peasy!!

Old 08-19-2021, 08:59 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the input guys!

Old 08-19-2021, 09:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Had left side groin surgery (double mesh) 4 weeks ago. They used a long term (72 hour) anesthesia at the surgery site to reduce the pain after surgery. I had NO pain the night after surgery and slept like a baby...very minor surgical pain after that. No pain meds. needed and was back to work in two days, amazing stuff: https://www.rxlist.com/exparel-drug.htm

Had the right side done 5 years ago and had pain, took meds. twice and was out of work for a week; much different experience.

Old 08-19-2021, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a bit more invasive procedure, they didn't give me pain meds or the nerve block and the pain was pretty agonizing. Make sure your doctor and nurses know what they are doing!

6 weeks no lifting, another 6 weeks after of light duty. My boss fired me for the "6 weeks of light duty" as a result, hopefully that's not an issue for you!

Old 08-19-2021, 03:29 PM
Senior Chief

Got a good work situation and plenty of vacation days to use. Probably the worst thing is having to sit still. Don't they understand I have a car to put back together!!!

Old 08-19-2021, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ben, your boss can't legally fire you for that.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 08-20-2021, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemansboy70 View Post
Got a good work situation and plenty of vacation days to use. Probably the worst thing is having to sit still. Don't they understand I have a car to put back together!!!
If you have the time take advantage of it. You should be fine after a couple of days for messing around with the car. Just keep stuff light and within reason.

Old 08-20-2021, 10:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had laparoscopic surgery for a left side inguinal hernia about 6 years ago. I took the remainder of day off after the surgery and returned to work the next day. I had some discomfort, but nothing that would have kept me from doing something that I shouldn't even if I had stayed home. I've never been good at following doctors orders.

69 Judge convertible........clone! Carousel red, parchment, hideaways, TH400, 10" Continental 3200 stall, 12 bolt with 3.42, 469 c.i. with ported #48's, ported cast iron intake, Cliff's Q-Jet and ported 2-1/2" Ram Air manifolds.
Old 08-20-2021, 10:39 PM
Senior Chief

Be nice to your nurses, they can be nice back or not, they get to pull out your catheter, be nice to your nurses! Oh and you'll be black and blue for awhile.

Old 08-20-2021, 10:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Had inguinal mesh surgery. May have saved my life for the second time. Dr. said need authorization from cardioligist. Flunked stress test-heart cath. and ended up with open heart surgery. Didn't even take a nap day after morning surgery. No lifting at all and motorcycle riding for weeks. Nothin to it.

Old 08-21-2021, 01:08 AM
Senior Chief

I had the mesh job , had all the time to heal, back to work and trying to take it easy, then the pain and swelling returned , ultrasound said I have a bubble in the mesh , now can't lift more than 10kg most days feel like a kick in the nuts on a daily basis,this is just another injury that has reduced my ability to work painfree.
Iirc was there a class action against the manufacturer of a type of gauze that failed, my operation was about 17 years ago.
JL

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Old 08-21-2021, 01:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Have had 4. Two on the right, one on the left and one belly button.
Family history of hernias. Mesh on two. No problems. Some over 25 years.
Just do what the Dr. tells you. Don’t try to “be a man”.

Old 08-21-2021, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Ben, your boss can't legally fire you for that.
Hahahahahahahaha!

"Right to work" means they can and will fire you for ANYthing. HR allowed it and told me that while it wasn't fair, it was my boss' decision and they couldn't do anything about it.

Old 08-24-2021, 08:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had a double hernia all my life. Finally had surgery about twenty years ago. Never had any problems. Pretty much a combination of all the above.

http://www.byjanmarie.com/firebird/69.html
69 Camaro 327 4sp. 4.10
http://www.byjanmarie.com/camaro/69camaro.html ( SOLD)
2002 Camaro LE/SLP-(sold)
1967 Nova SS-- 327, M20, 3.73, FRT Disc
Old 08-24-2021, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Modern surgery has come a long way. I had one as a child and had to spend four days in the hospital; I had another one about four years ago, it was about a one hour procedure and then I got up, walked out the door and went home. There was very only minor discomfort for a couple days and no need for pain medications.

Old 08-24-2021, 08:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can believe that Ben. Totally unbelievable. Let me ask this, did you get the hernia while working on the job?

That's the trouble with not having a union. No job protection.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 08-25-2021, 12:27 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
... I got up, walked out the door and went home. There was very only minor discomfort for a couple days and no need for pain medications...
I had an abdominal hernia repaired a couple of years ago. When the anesthetic wore off any slight movement had me screaming in pain. It was horrible for 3-4 days. It was a couple of weeks before I could bend over enough to pull boots on. Perhaps if I had been younger than about 78 it may not have been so bad?