EFI Tech All things EFI and making classics modern!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-29-2022, 10:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default What do you recommend for EFI on my 79 Trans Am

Hello guys,

I need help with a do it or dont do it on the EFI- and what system would you recommend on my 79 403.

I purchased the car with the 403 that has had some engine work done on it and I was told it had an aftermarket "race" cam, whatever that means. The engine runs strong but I dont know the specs on the cam. It has an aggressive lobe at idle, so I assume it has a fairly healthy cam in it.

I purchased the car from the previous owner that had the engine built approx 10 years ago but it has very low miles on it. I had the stock heads redone, mainly because they had to be removed and checked as I had a blown head gasket on the passenger side. The head work was done by a local quality race shop.

The previous owner installed a Holley 750 double pumper that seems to be running rich. I dont even need a choke to keep running on a cold engine. It is leaking fuel near or around the accelerator pump in front. So I have to rebuild the carb. I have no idea if the current jetting is the problem or even what the jetting should be. I am thinking to just upgrade to EFI.

Intake is an Edelbrock Performer aluminum manifold.

Unfortunately, I dont know the internal specs on the 403 so I am not sure how to proceed with an EFI upgrade or even which system to purchase. The car has headers into dual exhaust to the rear (no H or X pipe). So I dont know if that changes anything on the EFI install or tuning.

I dont want to break the bank so I would like to get better performance and tuning with the least amount of investment.

I noticed Eastwood is currently selling the FiTech Go EFI 4 - 600 HP EFI System - Bright Aluminum Finish 30001 for about $870.00 from $1000.00. I am sure there is a reason why it is half the money.

What other upgrades need to be done that are not included in the EFI kits?

What are your recommendations?

I am shooting darts - so let me know your thoughts.

Thank you in advance for any input you can give.

Last edited by i4abuygto; 11-29-2022 at 10:18 PM.