WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 01-07-2005, 10:53 AM

Just got the latest AutoWeek and couldn't believe how hard they slammed the "05 GTO against the Mustang. "The GTO's steering wheel felt heavy, muddy, even numb, the Mustang's had a sharp, immediate turn-in feel and bristled with visceral sensations of the road at every turn." "it simply cannot match the Mustang for feel, style or value" And they wrap the story with: "Overall, the Mustang backs up it's looks with a handling performance that puts to shame the GTO's. It's no contest: The winner is the Mustang GT." They said lots more negitive things. " the styling is total blandsville. It leaves no impression whatsoever."
Old 01-07-2005, 10:53 AM

Just got the latest AutoWeek and couldn't believe how hard they slammed the "05 GTO against the Mustang. "The GTO's steering wheel felt heavy, muddy, even numb, the Mustang's had a sharp, immediate turn-in feel and bristled with visceral sensations of the road at every turn." "it simply cannot match the Mustang for feel, style or value" And they wrap the story with: "Overall, the Mustang backs up it's looks with a handling performance that puts to shame the GTO's. It's no contest: The winner is the Mustang GT." They said lots more negitive things. " the styling is total blandsville. It leaves no impression whatsoever."
Old 01-07-2005, 11:07 AM
Senior Chief

So Ford bought more advertising this month. What about performance and handling numbers, not just butt feeling performance?
Old 01-07-2005, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So if the GTO had won, I guess GM would have been the one buying ad space. LOL! No matter how bad the day is going, its nice to know I can always come to this topic line and get a good laugh.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

HUMBLER........don't look. Its gonna happen again.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Chang completely slammed the Mustang in his article in the same magazine! And then they show the Z06 and STS-V, just made the Crapstang win look as dumb as it was. The pics even clearly showed the GTO to be the better looking car.

All of the downfalls of the Goat were slight yet there was no contest...just stupid...
Old 01-07-2005, 11:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hau Thai-Tang, Design Engineer for '05 Stang while on Leno : Standing O. GM: r u watching???
Old 01-07-2005, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you freakin kidding me, how would anybody but a car guy even know who he was? I've got to see the video of that...
Old 01-07-2005, 12:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by humbler:
Are you freakin kidding me, how would anybody but a car guy even know who he was? ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Leno is a car guy, a big time car guy. Apparently Mr. Thai-Tang was on Craig Ferguson ( whoever that is ) with the same response.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Probably because the Q card to the audience said "Standing Applause!"

Yes wake up GM, oh no everyone on Leno / Kilborn is getting a standing applause!!!

And yes, not knowing Leno is a car guy is like not knowing "You can have any color, as long as it is black!"
Old 01-07-2005, 01:37 PM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom McQueen:
So if the GTO had won, I guess GM would have been the one buying ad space. LOL! No matter how bad the day is going, its nice to know I can always come to this topic line and get a good laugh. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If your dense enough to believe magazine reporting is un biased, your giving us all a good laugh. Find a major article with positive overtones in any ad containing magazine that doesn't have major advertising from the subject of the article! I assumed ,wrongly I guess, that most of you would know this!
Old 01-07-2005, 01:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So, the GTO gets slammed by yet another magazine. Does that surprise anyone? Is that supposed to make me feel bad? It's okay if they think the Mustang wins, for now. Remember, this is just the beginning. Six months from now they'll be dogging the stang too.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If your dense enough to believe magazine reporting is un biased, your giving us all a good laugh. Find a major article with positive overtones in any ad containing magazine that doesn't have major advertising from the subject of the article! I assumed ,wrongly I guess, that most of you would know this! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Car and Driver comparison of the "new" GTO and the "new" Mustang. Full page ad for the "new" GTO on the back. It came in second place. For the record, I don't care for either car.

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by humbler:

And yes, not knowing Leno is a car guy is like not knowing "You can have any color, as long as it is black!" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, I'm not saying it was an endorsement of the 05 'Stang or a lack of on the 04 GTO. People like what Ford did with the 'Stang and for the most part they don't like what GM did with the GTO. Maybe there's something there for GM to learn. Take it how you will, I really don't care.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:43 PM

And again, folks, why would you care what they think?? I've driven both, back to back, and I couldn't get back to my Pontiac dealer fast enough to snag the last I.B./M6 available in my area!
I liked the new 'stang in some ways, but I chose the GTO as the hands-down winner IMHO (as did my wife - though she likes the "styling" of the stang better, she much preferred driving the GTO). The retro thing will wear thin quickly & the shortcomings of the stang will increasingly come to the fore as time goes on. Everyone on Leno clapped both as a response to the *applause* sign & because of the *nostalgia* thing that's made recent inroads into the American psyche. Many people do really like the look of the new stang. I find it pleasingly nostalgic, but I think it looks a little "thick" & heavy-handed compared to the '68-'70 era it's intended to emulate. Choose what you like, I say! I chose the car that satisfies me & the wife more, and the first time the new stang owner takes a bumpy corner at speed & that solid axle starts its walk to the outside, he/she is gonna start wondering if the nostalgic handling is worth the nostalgic looks!
Old 01-07-2005, 09:17 PM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Car and Driver comparison of the "new" GTO and the "new" Mustang. Full page ad for the "new" GTO on the back. It came in second place. For the record, I don't care for either car.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does this mean there were no ads for the Mustang in the mag??
Old 01-08-2005, 01:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i forgot what mag i seen the 05 GTO vs Mustang. the GTO would smoke it in the 1/4 but costs about $10,000 more. both of them are ugly. i wouldnt buy a ford. but they basically said the mustang won because of the "styling". WTF ? ohhh look at that pretty retro car its slower in the 1/4 and prolly handles worse but its retro so its better.cmon give me a break.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by judge_jury_executioner_69:
the GTO would smoke it in the 1/4 but costs about $10,000 more. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The base price of the Mustang GT is $9,000.00 less than the GTO.

By the time you add some of the options on the Mustang to even attempt to get remotely close to the standard level GTO, you're right around $30,000.00.

Of course, you still have 100 less HP, a 5 spd instead of a 6 spd...

But it is cheaper...
Old 01-08-2005, 01:38 PM

Champ, don't you think if GM had a base model GTO to compete with the Mustang it would sell much better?

Drop the leather, traction control and other doo-dads and price it accordingly. Not everybody likes leather.

It still won't sell like the Mustang due to the bland looks, but it would certainly help.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Does this mean there were no ads for the Mustang in the mag??
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. No ads for the Mustang.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>y the time you add some of the options on the Mustang to even attempt to get remotely close to the standard level GTO, you're right around $30,000.00. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which ones? And what is "right around"?