THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-21-2023, 11:17 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm guessing you have grandkids as one of the reasons she wants a pool?

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
The Following User Says Thank You to roger1 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2023, 01:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Actually we don't, she's apparently a bit of a princess that needs such things. You and I both know it won't get much use. But she says she can still do a cartwheel so who am I to argue.

Old 07-21-2023, 09:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Happy wife, Happy life

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OG68 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2023, 07:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This all looks pretty wonderful. I love the concepts of what you are doing.

However, looking at your overhead vision of the property and where the old house is, I wonder why your intent is to pull it down? If that was mine, I'd would plan on making it quite habitable, tidying it up, secure etc and then leasing it out. Not hard to find the right tenant who will look after it, pay you some rent and hopefully be there to keep an eye on your main house/shed etc if for whatever reason you are not there.

And eventually, you could possibly subdivide it off your main land and sell it. Could be some very handy future income for you.

Just my thoughts

Old 07-24-2023, 03:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Heybuck. I really don't think the house is worth saving, it has some structural issues that would need to be addressed, and a complete rehab, it's about 75 years old. Might save the "garage" which is a fairly sturdy pole building.

But, it's not out of the question, we would like a "caretaker" home as we will probably be spending sometimes a month or more out of the country.

Don't think we'd ever subdivide, in fact I'm looking to buy the rest of the property surrounded by the road (another 7 acres) and consolidate them into a single lot. It's kind of a rare opportunity to own an entire "country block" completely surrounded by paved roads that make a wonderful delineation for property lines.

The problem with the old house is that it has a perimeter block foundation (cracked in many places) and then concrete block piers supporting the floor ... which are progressively sinking into the ground and have been shimmed up many times. Zero insulation underneath, very little in the attic, and I'm guessing nothing in the walls. Floors are pretty much trashed, entire house is carpet ... even the bathroom, every wall in the house is cheap 70's panelling, pipes have burst many times ... so it's a mess. Livable for a year or two while we are building, but it could take $100K to make it right.

We hope to at some point fence the entire property. We are fortunate that retirement income is not an issue so that leaves us considerable flexibility with our plans. We were planning on building a caretaker house at some point, a quite small one, and try to convince a niece or nephew to live there and take care of the place when we are gone

Old 07-24-2023, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's great idea anyway when you can see yourself clear to build something. Passive income. Either have a straight renter or as an air-bnb. Especially if you're near any kinds of attractions.
Every time I look at that aerial picture of your property I can't help but think about how much I miss playing with my airplanes. If I had a spot like that right outside my door I would still be flying these.

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2023, 01:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg, the 6 acre field up the upper right corner is absolutely dead level, probably 700' x 400', would probably make an excellent "mini-Reno"

We've played with the idea of a paved cart track there.

I haven't been having much success with my drone, apparently it feels its mission in life is to violently attack me whenever possible. Half the time it behaves, the other half it has a mind of its own, if there is no tree to collide with it will turn its attention to me like a rapid racoon.

Old 07-24-2023, 03:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

LOL, Greg made me laugh.

Your field would be a great place for launching gliders! And it is both magical and terrifying when your plane catches a thermal and climbs out of sight.

Think what amazing glider parts you could make with your 3D printer and those design skills!

Here's a glimpse of my shared interest and similarly, where it lies today:

Maybe I'll fly RC again after I get my car running!

It will be done by Christmas...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Planes.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	616588  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2023, 03:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I trained myself to fly RC using gliders. My goal was always powered flight but I found a new hobby soaring. Yeah, a good thermal will take that thing clean out of sight. Sometimes I could hang out with a group of buzzards, making big lazy circles.

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2023, 06:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Speaking of flying things, would be really nice if your lot were big enough to build a 2500' runway which could double as a dragstrip...

The Following User Says Thank You to hgerhardt For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2023, 01:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hgerhardt, longest strip I can fit in is 1636' But because of the lay of the land in that area I think are a plenty of local airstrips ... buy yes, would be very cool have one. A nice piece of lawn and a windsock and people could fly in and visit.

Not only could it double as a dragstrip, but then I'd just HAVE to build a hanger that could double as a giant shop!