Old 03-20-2002, 11:19 PM

This is a story I wrote for our club newsletter a while back.
It was June 1968, and my friend Greg and I had quit our jobs, so we could spend the summer up north at my parents trailer. We had planned and saved for this all year.
Greg’s 65 GTO was the car we took on this little adventure. It was Palmetto Green, Rally I’s, 389 tri-power, four speeds, 3.36 gear (I think), and the car was exceptionally fast. Except for the tweaked carbs and distributor, and the “dumps”, the car was stock. Up to this point the car had not been beat. He had a close call one time with a 67 Olds 442. Oh yeah, did I mention the cam?
We packed the car and said good-bye to everyone. But, before we left, we had to stop at Statler Party Store for some Brewski’s. We then headed out 12 mile toward I-75. I think we caught every red light along the way, Greg didn’t mind though because he really enjoyed going through the gears. I thought that we might have to get more gas before we hit the freeway, but we were all right.
It was about 8 pm when we got on the freeway and cruised right along about 80 or so. A little over two hours later we were getting off at Alger to get on M-33 north. We stopped at the Shell station to get fuel, check the oil and water, and drop off some of the Brewski’s.
Back on the road now, it was north on M-33. Now we only did 70 or so. We passed threw Rose City kinda fast, next town was Mio. We went threw that town kinda fast, then about 5 miles out Mio, headed toward Fairview, Greg said he could see headlights behind us and they were gaining on us. We were doing around 75 mph at the time, which was about 10:30 pm. Well, he decides we should slow down for a while. This was neither a good choice nor a bad choice.
It seemed like about ten minutes later the bright lights and red flashers came on; it was the Mio County Sheriff. Greg pulled the GTO over and shut off the motor. When the two deputies got to the car they told us to get out. As we stood behind the GTO, we could hear the engine idle in the 68 Plymouth Satellite. It sounded like it was going to stall out anytime now. After they searched the car and found the Brewski’s, one of the deputies began to question Greg about his speed. Of course he told him that he didn’t know. The deputy said that he clocked us going threw Mio at 60, and chased us for 7 miles.
Now, what they decided to do was take the beer we had in the car, and gave Greg a ticket for 20 over in a 55 mph zone. Once he handed him the ticket, we asked how did they gain on us so fast with that car? It sounds like it’s going to die. What the heck do you have in it anyway? The deputy replied, “You just never mind what I have in that car, there isn’t anyone who can out-run it”.
We got back in the Goat and pulled away. I said to Greg, “Well, the GTO finally got beat, and by a Mopar too”. He said, “If I wouldn’t have slowed down, they would not have caught us”.
It was June 1968, and my friend Greg and I were riding north on M-33 in a 65 GTO. The Mio County Sheriff beat us in a 68 Plymouth Satellite, (or did he??)

Old 03-20-2002, 11:19 PM

This is a story I wrote for our club newsletter a while back.
It was June 1968, and my friend Greg and I had quit our jobs, so we could spend the summer up north at my parents trailer. We had planned and saved for this all year.
Greg’s 65 GTO was the car we took on this little adventure. It was Palmetto Green, Rally I’s, 389 tri-power, four speeds, 3.36 gear (I think), and the car was exceptionally fast. Except for the tweaked carbs and distributor, and the “dumps”, the car was stock. Up to this point the car had not been beat. He had a close call one time with a 67 Olds 442. Oh yeah, did I mention the cam?
We packed the car and said good-bye to everyone. But, before we left, we had to stop at Statler Party Store for some Brewski’s. We then headed out 12 mile toward I-75. I think we caught every red light along the way, Greg didn’t mind though because he really enjoyed going through the gears. I thought that we might have to get more gas before we hit the freeway, but we were all right.
It was about 8 pm when we got on the freeway and cruised right along about 80 or so. A little over two hours later we were getting off at Alger to get on M-33 north. We stopped at the Shell station to get fuel, check the oil and water, and drop off some of the Brewski’s.
Back on the road now, it was north on M-33. Now we only did 70 or so. We passed threw Rose City kinda fast, next town was Mio. We went threw that town kinda fast, then about 5 miles out Mio, headed toward Fairview, Greg said he could see headlights behind us and they were gaining on us. We were doing around 75 mph at the time, which was about 10:30 pm. Well, he decides we should slow down for a while. This was neither a good choice nor a bad choice.
It seemed like about ten minutes later the bright lights and red flashers came on; it was the Mio County Sheriff. Greg pulled the GTO over and shut off the motor. When the two deputies got to the car they told us to get out. As we stood behind the GTO, we could hear the engine idle in the 68 Plymouth Satellite. It sounded like it was going to stall out anytime now. After they searched the car and found the Brewski’s, one of the deputies began to question Greg about his speed. Of course he told him that he didn’t know. The deputy said that he clocked us going threw Mio at 60, and chased us for 7 miles.
Now, what they decided to do was take the beer we had in the car, and gave Greg a ticket for 20 over in a 55 mph zone. Once he handed him the ticket, we asked how did they gain on us so fast with that car? It sounds like it’s going to die. What the heck do you have in it anyway? The deputy replied, “You just never mind what I have in that car, there isn’t anyone who can out-run it”.
We got back in the Goat and pulled away. I said to Greg, “Well, the GTO finally got beat, and by a Mopar too”. He said, “If I wouldn’t have slowed down, they would not have caught us”.
It was June 1968, and my friend Greg and I were riding north on M-33 in a 65 GTO. The Mio County Sheriff beat us in a 68 Plymouth Satellite, (or did he??)

Old 03-31-2002, 11:57 PM

Mio reminds me of Lewiston. I bought my 66 hardtop there in 69. I was on break from my first year at Northern Michigan University. My folks had purchased a neat little beer store in Lewiston. I really needed a car and a local had a 66 for sale. That Tryol Blue was the reason I had to have another even though it is a 67. I spent a lot of time on M33 driving from Lewiston to Walled Lake. Biggest concern wasn't cops it was deer.