Old 02-20-2002, 03:29 PM

I know that most of you guys will think this is a bunch of crap and if it hadn't happened to me, I would have a tough time believing it myself. Anyway,...

I have always been an old car guy; when I was 13 I bought my first POJ 57 chevy. My dad and I worked on it for years until I finaly drove it to school. I guess I've been hooked since.

My great aunt lived about 20 miles from us with her mother; she never married or had children - In fact, she was quite strange. Never the less, she had a thing for Pontiacs, my dad said that she owned several through the years.

When she passed away my dad was made the executor of her will, (only family member in Alabama). To make a long story short - my dad was given the car for his service. A few months ago, my dad gave the car to me.

As it turns out, my great aunt had stopped driving the car in 1981 after witnessing a fatal car crash just miles from her home. The car just set in a garage from then until her death, (I think 1996) As a result, the engine was "frozen", however, the rest of the car is in great shape. Oh yeah, there is only 46K miles on this car.

I'm really interested in fixing this car up but to be honest, I really dont know where to start/stop. I have pulled the engine and trans, and am having them rebuilt now. While the engine is out, it would make sense for me to go through the front-end and replace bushings and other worn parts. The thing I'm struggling with is - should I consider making modifications that inhance performance, i.e., disc brakes, or should I stick with the original equipment? Further more, to what extent should I consider "upgrades"? I don't want to do anything that would take away from the cars value, but at the same time I want it to be a good cruiser. Any good advice would be appriciated.

The older cars that I have owned in the past required major upgrades and modifications - this one is in great shape. I'm almost afraid of this thing!

If someone could help me out with the "do" and do nots" I would appriciate it. Also, any resource information would be great.

Old 02-20-2002, 03:29 PM

I know that most of you guys will think this is a bunch of crap and if it hadn't happened to me, I would have a tough time believing it myself. Anyway,...

I have always been an old car guy; when I was 13 I bought my first POJ 57 chevy. My dad and I worked on it for years until I finaly drove it to school. I guess I've been hooked since.

My great aunt lived about 20 miles from us with her mother; she never married or had children - In fact, she was quite strange. Never the less, she had a thing for Pontiacs, my dad said that she owned several through the years.

When she passed away my dad was made the executor of her will, (only family member in Alabama). To make a long story short - my dad was given the car for his service. A few months ago, my dad gave the car to me.

As it turns out, my great aunt had stopped driving the car in 1981 after witnessing a fatal car crash just miles from her home. The car just set in a garage from then until her death, (I think 1996) As a result, the engine was "frozen", however, the rest of the car is in great shape. Oh yeah, there is only 46K miles on this car.

I'm really interested in fixing this car up but to be honest, I really dont know where to start/stop. I have pulled the engine and trans, and am having them rebuilt now. While the engine is out, it would make sense for me to go through the front-end and replace bushings and other worn parts. The thing I'm struggling with is - should I consider making modifications that inhance performance, i.e., disc brakes, or should I stick with the original equipment? Further more, to what extent should I consider "upgrades"? I don't want to do anything that would take away from the cars value, but at the same time I want it to be a good cruiser. Any good advice would be appriciated.

The older cars that I have owned in the past required major upgrades and modifications - this one is in great shape. I'm almost afraid of this thing!

If someone could help me out with the "do" and do nots" I would appriciate it. Also, any resource information would be great.

Old 02-20-2002, 04:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The first and most important thing is for you to have a plan. You have to figure out what you really want to use the car. That said; don’t worry about what you do to the value of the car, as you will not get your money out of it anyway. Decide what you want it to be, post that, and I am sure you will get a lot of good input.

Old 02-21-2002, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What model,year,options,etc.All the best bigpop

Old 02-21-2002, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Oooops,forget about year

Old 02-21-2002, 02:35 PM

Bigpop,

Its a 1966 hardtop GTO with a 389, 4brl. 2 speed auto, pb, ps, power windows. Black pleather interior, (like new), Marina Turquiose, hub caps, original red-line spare in the trunk.

If it hadn't been for her many cats, the exterior would likely not need painting. They "marked thier territory" in a few places that caused some surface rust that has to be repaired. Under the hood, squirrels used the hood pad to build a nest. Most of the chrome can probably be buffed out - it looks like dust build-up allowed moisture to collect and leave little specs all over. I'm amazed, but the rubber on the doors and trunk is in good shape.

I would like to fix the car up so that it drives well and looks good. Just from what I've read, I think I would like to put disc on the front, maybe some suspension upgrades, (sway bars), 15" Rally II's etc... What I'm unsure of is whether I should take a frame-off approach or just do a few things as I go.