WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H.
I may be ignorant, but being a Sales Manager at a Pontiac store in 2003, I've forgotten more about the 04 GTO than you will ever know! I can't say that about the 05 & 06, I retired in 2003.

My opinion about the current GTO and any new 'retro' style is this: Build it as the original GTO was built, a barebones high performance car that would START in the mid 20's. Offer one with just a standard stereo, no pw, etc. Then progress up to the 'loaded' models.

The 04-06 GTO is one he!!uva car! I just shouldn't have been badged a GTO. Give it some other name, G10 for example. I believe it would have sold better without all of the uproar about it being badged a GTO.

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH THIS ENTIRE POST!

Doing what Ford does with the Rustang (and what Chevy did with the Z-28) would've gone a looooong way in selling more of these cars. I realize that it was only supposed to be a "halo" car, but I think a "GT-37" would've gone over big. Ditch the leather, sound system, ricer wing etc and just build a kick ass coupe.

I've always said that the new GTO is the perfect "Grand Prix" (in the vein of a '69 SJ with a 428 HO and a 4 speed)

"I open up three deuces, I'm Never Coming Back!"

Old 01-26-2007, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I may be ignorant, but being a Sales Manager at a Pontiac store in 2003, I've forgotten more about the 04 GTO than you will ever know! I can't say that about the 05 & 06, I retired in 2003.

My opinion about the current GTO and any new 'retro' style is this: Build it as the original GTO was built, a barebones high performance car that would START in the mid 20's. Offer one with just a standard stereo, no pw, etc. Then progress up to the 'loaded' models.

The 04-06 GTO is one he!!uva car! I just shouldn't have been badged a GTO. Give it some other name, G10 for example. I believe it would have sold better without all of the uproar about it being badged a GTO.

Jerry, don't embarass yourself...please. Car Salesmen are considered one step BELOW a lawyer and that's being kind. Salesmen, for the most part, don't know squat about the products their selling. Please don't ever preach to me that you have forgotten more about the car than I will ever know. That's a joke right there.

The car was a stop gap. It was WHAT WAS AVAILABLE AT THE TIME. The car lived up to EVERYTHING the old car was and more....you could never say the old GTO had the best interior in any GM car back in the 1960's...you CAN say that about the new car today.

The car was a LIMITED PRODUCTION car to begin with. It was NEVER meant to sell in masses as the old one was.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Car Salesmen are considered one step BELOW a lawyer and that's being kind.
By that statement then I'm assuming that you are a lawyer.

I have no more comments on this subject!

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 01-26-2007, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_GTO
Jerry, don't embarass yourself...please. Car Salesmen are considered one step BELOW a lawyer and that's being kind. Salesmen, for the most part, don't know squat about the products their selling. Please don't ever preach to me that you have forgotten more about the car than I will ever know. That's a joke right there.

The car was a stop gap. It was WHAT WAS AVAILABLE AT THE TIME. The car lived up to EVERYTHING the old car was and more....you could never say the old GTO had the best interior in any GM car back in the 1960's...you CAN say that about the new car today.

The car was a LIMITED PRODUCTION car to begin with. It was NEVER meant to sell in masses as the old one was.
Theres a way of haviing a debate, and then theres Mr GTO's way. In his version, everything he says is right and factual and he also has the right to slam you at any given point because HE IS RIGHT. ESPESIALLY if it has ANYTHING to do with his perfect little car called the new GTO.

Dude, whenever there's a debate on this car, your always the star of the show. I hope you enjoy it.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
By that statement then I'm assuming that you are a lawyer.

I have no more comments on this subject!

Wrong.

Probably a good idea.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue 66
Theres a way of haviing a debate, and then theres Mr GTO's way. In his version, everything he says is right and factual and he also has the right to slam you at any given point because HE IS RIGHT. ESPESIALLY if it has ANYTHING to do with his perfect little car called the new GTO.

Dude, whenever there's a debate on this car, your always the star of the show. I hope you enjoy it.

Anytime someone wants to refute my facts, please feel free.

The car isn't perfect...I've already stated that. But if someone is going to tell me that he has forgotten more about the car than I will ever know and then goes on to not state the correct price of the car....sorry, I call it as I see it. If you don't like it, feel free to refute me.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones
Jerry H., mrgto talks a lot and thinks everything he says is a fact. It's kind of a dream type world. He is the 2004-06 GTO encyclopedia in his own little mind. He verifies all of his information by endless searching on the internet and believes what he wants to believe. The WEB is his little cocoon. It insulates him from the real world that most others live in. He talks a big game but thats it.

Ha ha, look in the mirror DJ!
Old 01-26-2007, 02:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRX
Because that's what it looks like!
I'd still buy one if I could afford it.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones
Jerry H., mrgto talks a lot and thinks everything he says is a fact. It's kind of a dream type world. He is the 2004-06 GTO encyclopedia in his own little mind. He verifies all of his information by endless searching on the internet and believes what he wants to believe. The WEB is his little cocoon. It insulates him from the real world that most others live in. He talks a big game but thats it.

LOL....good one....lol
Old 01-26-2007, 03:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M.
...And I don't know about the rest of of you, but $35k for a car is a lot of money. I'm not that old (under 30) so I can't afford that kind of car payment based on the average Joe's salary. If it was $10k less, I could swing it, but the prices dealers were charging when I looked was too high for me. I don't give a hoot about how much of a "deal" it is for $32-35k, it is priced outside of the range for people like me (young and not well off) to be able to afford. The same thing killed off the Trans Am with my age group as well...
If it was 10k less, there still would be people who could not afford it. However, I am not about to buy a new ZO6 Vette either, but there are plenty of people who wouldn't think twice about that kind of coin fo a car. Thats life.

If we can afford a new (insert car name here) or not does not take away from the fact that it might be a good deal. I can't afford the Vette Z06, but it is still a hell of a bargain, as is the "GTO".
Old 01-26-2007, 04:44 PM
Senior Chief

Old 01-26-2007, 05:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think the biggest controvercy of all is that the new Mustang is built & powered by Ford! The new Challenger is built & powered by Dodge! The new Camaro will be built & powered by Chevrolet. I totally understand the fact that it is an awesome car to drive. The problem is it's a borrowed car from another manufacturer sold through Pontiac with a Pontiac name plate!
Old 01-26-2007, 06:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Genovese
I think the biggest controvercy of all is that the new Mustang is built & powered by Ford! The new Challenger is built & powered by Dodge! The new Camaro will be built & powered by Chevrolet. I totally understand the fact that it is an awesome car to drive. The problem is it's a borrowed car from another manufacturer sold through Pontiac with a Pontiac name plate!

Holden is as much a part of GM as Pontiac is. The underpinnings of the Mustang were based off the Jaguar...as is the Fusion is based off of the Mazda 6....expect to see more of it from every car company...it is a way to keep costs down. The days of a Pontiac being SOLEY a pontiac are long gone.

So you never had a problem with the Firebird right because it was just a rebaged Camaro with a Pontiac engine for all intent and purpose.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Genovese
Wow, that is some selective analogy if I ever heard it. Blinders are a wonderful thing!

"The Camry is the only car running in cup that is actually built in the US." Dale Jarrett quote answering Toyota's involvement in NASCAR.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:10 PM

I would have ordered one up in 2004 if it didn't look like a Chebby Cavalier. The power plant is proven the Monaro platform is the problem. I don't remember John Delorean needing to go to Australia for styling which was already 5 years old back in 64. Sorry but the design engineers in Detroit need to go back to school.IMO
I am also NOT sold on the retro look, why can't the design engineers come up with a nice style that doesn't look like a F@#$$ Jellybean on wheels
Old 01-26-2007, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

So you never had a problem with the Firebird right because it was just a rebaged Camaro with a Pontiac engine for all intent and purpose.
Why are you so argumentitive?
Old 01-26-2007, 07:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by G/ACanAmT/A
I would have ordered one up in 2004 if it didn't look like a Chebby Cavalier. The power plant is proven the Monaro platform is the problem. I don't remember John Delorean needing to go to Australia for styling which was already 5 years old back in 64. Sorry but the design engineers in Detroit need to go back to school.IMO
I am also NOT sold on the retro look, why can't the design engineers come up with a nice style that doesn't look like a F@#$$ Jellybean on wheels

lol, Dan Gurney doesn't seem to have a problem with the car...
Old 01-26-2007, 07:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue 66
Why are you so argumentitive?

Because I like it.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by G/ACanAmT/A
Thanks, I was getting beat up here!
Old 01-26-2007, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Because I like it.
Maybe Ill see you in Chicago for the auto show in Feb...