Old 09-26-2016, 11:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, that 1st one looks like a great candidate for a strip only car.

And, as for the 2nd one, I never liked the orange color. But, that one looks good enuff to cruise around town in, anyhow. A good 12 sec 455 street/strip set-up might make it a nice ride.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a 2-door Bonny I could live with, if it had a Pontiac engine. A 400 was available in a '77 & '78 model Cat & Bonny.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Bonn...m=302084514779

Remove the fender skirts and put the right wheels and tires on it and it could look decent.

Here's one with a 400, but it has the half vinyl Landau roof I don't like. Just gives 'em a different look.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Bonn...m=262635078845

Don't really like green or vinyl tops, but this '71 Lemans looks good. The reserve will put it out of reach.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Le-M...m=232095473137

Last edited by ponyakr; 09-27-2016 at 01:08 AM.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dont know if he sold it but Mike Leech had a GT37 for sale last year. Might be worth a PM to him.
I saw it at Norwalk 2015...Not the prettiest peach but price was fair for condition IMO

78 up G-bodies are front steer reasonably priced. I sold my 84 GP about 1.5 yrs ago. No rust just some bumper damage(minor) tired 305 and stock lockup convertor misbehaving. $2k to a kid that was more in love with it than I was.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, I'd like a decent T-37 or GT-37. Thanks for the lead.

But, for some reason, I just have never liked those '78-up GP's. I'd prefer a '77 GP over a '78 GP.

So far, I've only had nibbles on selling my stuff. So, it's probably better not to make any serious inquiries, 'til I have some cash in hand.

I'm surprised how many decent lookin buys there are out there, for some of these older cars. There are VERY few to NONE of most of these cars, anywhere in my area. With the high humidity we have down here, most of these type cars are either rust buckets, or have long since been recycled.

So, I can figure anywhere from $500 to $1000 to have one shipped to me. But, I'm OK with that. A few years back, I had a '74 Ventura bracket car shipped here from Kansas, which only cost $550.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

After I mentioned the '77 GP, I decided to check out some pics. Hey, I could live with one of those. And I noticed lots of 'em for sale, in all conditions & price ranges. I discovered why, when I looked up the GP production numbers. It seems that '77 was by far the biggest year for the GP.

But, most of those I've found for sale have a 301 engine. Most also have a vinyl roof & electric windows. I can live with a vinyl roof, IF it is in real good shape and don't need replacing. BUT, I can't live with electric windows. Every used vehicle I've ever had with elec windows, had one of 'em stop working, in the partially open position. And I know absolutely nothing about how to fix 'em & don't wanna learn.

So, if I get a '77 GP, I'd prefer one with roll-up windows and a 350 or 400 Pontiac engine. A really cheap 301 would work. But, a lot of the bolt on stuff is different, which would make swapping in my 455 more involved. Also, with a '77 350 or 400, I'd get some 6x heads, and other stuff I could use or sell.

I assume they have the 8.5 rear end. So, that would be a plus, as compared to having to swap out an 8.2 in an early A-body, or a 7.5 in a later model. The only down side I can see is the weight. But hey, a decent 455 & the right gears, will make it a nice ride. Should also attract much less attention from the law enforcement officers, than one of the smaller, sportier models. Might look more appropriate for my age.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Doing some more research on the '77 GP. More than 288,000 were sold. That explains why there are still so many out there. There was a model J, LJ, & SJ.

It seems that only the SJ model came with a 400 std. Some info said that both the J & LJ models came with a 301 std, in most states. But, one site said the std engine in the LJ was the 350, & that the 350 & 400 were available in both models.

Anyhow, the info said that all the Pontiac engines came with a TH400, including the 301. That surprised me.

I also discovered a lot of the '77's that are for sale have roll-up windows. Some of these have bucket seats with a console shifter. Some have a bench seat & column shifter.

So, for my preferences, the advantages are 8.5 rear end, most have Pontiac engine with TH400 trans, & roll-up windows are available. Also found a few that didn't have a vinyl roof. And, many of those for sale, appear very clean inside & out. Prices for smaller cars, like the Birds, are much higher when they are as clean as these '77 GP's. So, I can probably get a much cleaner car, for a lot less money, with a GP.

Just thinkin out loud. Any opinions, or anybody who knows where there is a good buy on a clean '77 GP with a Pontiac engine & roll-up window ? Again, engine doesn't even need to run. But, a 350 or 400 would make the car worth more to me, than a 301.

Old 10-13-2016, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just cruising thru the Ebay Pontiacs and ran across a couple of '72 A-bodies, that might be decent buys, IF the selling prices was low enuff. But, the reserve usually puts most Ebay cars out of the "good buy" range.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Le-M...m=122177122122

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Le-M...m=222276253942

This '71 is probably in the same boat.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Le-M...m=222276253942

Last edited by ponyakr; 10-13-2016 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I see that the link was not correct for the '71. But, my post timed out. So, here's the correct link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Le-M...m=162237787214

Old 10-16-2016, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In an effort to be open to as many possible body styles as I might like, for a S/S car, I've decided to include a '75 or '76 non T/A Bird, especially the Formula.

I like the '76 better. But a nice black '75 Formy would work, too. I just happen to like the metal hood better than the glass hood. Also like the nose & tail of the '76 better.

Ya'll may have noticed that my favorite colors are black & silver.

Hey, I think I'm pretty much open to a lot of possibilities. There's 4 years of the A-body '69-'72, 4 years of the Bird '75-'78, 3 years of the GP '73-'74 & '77, 3 years of the Ventura '73-'74 & '77, the downsized Lemans & GA of the late '70's which came with a Pontiac engine, the downsized Cat & Bonnie '77-'79, plus a few others. Hey, out of all these choices, I should be able to find a good buy on something , wouldn't you think ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	'76 Formy Silver.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	438764   Click image for larger version

Name:	Silver '76 Formy.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	438765   Click image for larger version

Name:	Silver '76 Formy Rear.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	438766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Black '75 Formy.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	438767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Silver '75 Formy TA Fender.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	438768  

Last edited by ponyakr; 10-16-2016 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK, the street/strip car deal is set. So now, I need to change my search. I now need a pickup, to pull my trailer.

There are lots of 'em that will work. But, I have a few preferences. A GMC is #1 preference--No Chevy, even tho I know they are the same truck. That's just me. I don't want a truck with a bow tie on it, pullin my Pontiac around.

Prefer a 3/4 or 1 ton crew cab with an 8' box.

But, I can live with a 1/2 ton, except a single cab short box. A single cab long box will work. But, an extended cab or crew cab would be better. A few years back I had a 2500HD extended cab, with a 6.0 engine, that seemed to be just about right for what I need now. Can use for tow, hauling parts, or just short hops for whatever. Right now, I have to borrow my wife's Tacoma, just for a trip to town, 7 miles away.

Something like this is sorta what I have in mind. It's a 2001 GMC 2500HD 6.0 crew cab.

http://jackson.craigslist.org/ctd/5794388433.html

I'd even consider an older model with a carb, if it is in GOOD reliable condition. I think maybe '86 was the last year of carbs, or maybe a little later in larger trucks ?? Could even be a later model that someone has switched over to a carb.

I've pulled Pontiacs around with 1/2 tons, 3/4 tons, 1 tons, & even a 2-ton. But don't have any of those now. Hey, a country boy just needs his own truck ! In my neck of the woods, most of the guys have a truck, even the city boys. Hey, many of the truck owners don't even NEED a truck. But hey, trucks are just cool.

Here's a nice '84 dually I had back in '86-'87. Would like to have it now, in that same shape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	'84 GMC Dually.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	438991  

Last edited by ponyakr; 10-19-2016 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So, finding a good truck should be a LOT easier than trying to find a clean older Pontiac. There are probably many hundreds, if not thousands to choose from, within 400 miles of me.

The only trick is to find a suitable truck, owned by somebody willing to trade it, for my Bird or other Pontiac parts I have. So, since more Pontiac guys read this forum than any other. I'll ask ya'll 1st. Anybody got something to trade that might work for me ?

I might even consider a Ford. I've had some Fords that made real good Pontiac haulers. Can't use one that has a 3-valve engine. A 2-valve 5.4 will work. There have been LOTS of well documented problems with the 3-valve engines. An X-Ford dealer mechanic advised my not to buy a truck with a 3-valve engine. I've read that the first 3-valve 5.4's came in '04 F-150's, but weren't used in F-250's & F-350's 'til '05. Don't really want a diesel. But, I've had several of the old 7.3's that did just fine.

A real quick search turned up this one. IF the engine is a 2-valve, something like this might work.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/5812460188.html

Last edited by ponyakr; 10-19-2016 at 06:42 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Boy, if you read much online info about the 5.4 Ford engines, it will turn you against 'em. There are a few guys who have had good luck with 'em. But, most seem to have had problems and do not recommend 'em. So, I think I'll pass on the 5.4 Ford, unless it's just such a great deal I'd be foolish to pass it up.

Hey, I wouldn't mind having a Hemi powered Dodge truck. I think the 1st Hemi was available in the '03 models. And, there is definitely no shortage of these trucks.

http://easttexas.craigslist.org/cto/5791605718.html

https://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/5834422570.html

https://sanmarcos.craigslist.org/cto/5795770478.html

http://bham.craigslist.org/ctd/5835515361.html

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/ctd/5817526317.html

https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/ctd/5815830862.html

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/5799290087.html

Old 10-20-2016, 12:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
OK, the street/strip car deal is set. .
So what did you come up with or was you just saying the shopping list is set

Old 10-20-2016, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by "QUICK-SILVER" View Post
So what did you come up with or was you just saying the shopping list is set
A couple of Pontiac friends felt sorry for me, and decided to rig up something I can use. TJ said that I deserve it because of all the cars & parts I've given away, and all the guys I've helped, thru the years. But still, it's very humbling to be on the receiving end this time. Both guys are members of this forum. So, THANKS again guys ! I really appreciate it !!!

I don't know all the exact details of the finished product. So, I'll have to wait til it's finished, to post pics & details. But, it's starting life as a '69 Tempest post car, which I owned a few years back. At that time, it was white, and had a 350HO engine, which had been set up originally for Stock racing.

These same guys have helped me with my last 2 bracket cars, and have hauled 'em to the track for me. But, I have a decent homemade trailer. So, if I can come up with a decent, reliable truck, to pull it, I won't have to ask somebody else to haul it for me. Hey, a guy who races just needs his own truck. And, I can even use it to haul the Tempest to out of town shows, and pick it up, if it should have problems out on the road somewhere. I hate having to pay big bucks for a wrecker fee. I once paid $250 to have a truck towed about 6 miles.

Just from the small amount of searching I've done, it appears that there are decent trucks out there that will meet my needs, for $5k or less. And, for about $10k or less, there are some pretty nice lookin trucks, with well below 200k miles. Might be able to find something local, at a real good price, since there are so many trucks in my area. I've found that if you have the cash in hand, you can usually find some real good deals. So, I'll continue to try to sell my '68 Bird, or some of the parts I have, to raise truck money.

Not too many racers in my area, and us Pontiac guys are very few. So, I've advertised my stuff on several sites. Only little nibbles so far, and those who SAY they'd buy IF they had the $$. But, I'll eventually sell some stuff, and/or do some trading. I'd like to have everything lined up, so that I can do my own hauling by next spring, when the track opens and the shows crank up. Our local track usually opens around the 1st of March, and our local show is in the middle of April. So, I've got at least 4 months to come up with something. Any help selling some of my stuff, and/or finding the right truck would be appreciated !

The thought just came to me that I should probably start a new thread for the truck search. So, I'll do that now.

Last edited by ponyakr; 10-20-2016 at 09:01 AM.