Old 03-15-2021, 10:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 74 GTO air cleaner base

Many years ago, I parted out a 74 GTO 4-spd car. It was a running driving car until high winds brought a tree limb carshing down on the roof. I pulled the shaker assembly off and put it in the basement. Over the years, I parted a lot of second gen T/As and various cars with 4-barrel and double snorkel air cleaners. I have several stacks of air cleaners in the basement, and the 74 GTO shaker top got separated from the shaker base.

So how can I identify a 74 GTO shaker base from a 73 and newer second generation T/A air cleaner base, or from any 73 and up 4-barrel air cleaner base. I know on Firebirds the surface the air cleaner sits on is dropped relative to the carb. Is the 74 GTO base have the same dropped surface? I know there is at least on 74 Grand Am 4-barrel air cleaner in the stack along with a bunch of Firebird bases. Pictures would be appreciated.

Old 03-16-2021, 08:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike, the '74 GTO base will be the same 1 1/2" drop base large snorkel aircleaner base as used on a '74 TransAm. Mike Ranson compiled some great information on the revisions to this style base from '73-78 & posted a series of pictures. Will search for it.

Old 03-16-2021, 08:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pics are in this thread:

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com....php?p=4672874

Old 05-27-2021, 11:04 PM
Senior Chief

Does anybody have pictures showing the difference on the air cleaner bases for the firebird and TA's from 1971 thru 1979? There is a auction coming up that has a bunch firebird and Trans Am parts. What are the best ones to look for? Thanks Steve

Old 05-29-2021, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Generally any GM air cleaner parts or shaker scoop with the trap door that opens up; from a 70-72 trans am are very valuable, just remember, on those air-cleaners condition is everything. As the years roll on (in the 1970s) the parts to the trans am become more plentiful (as they made more and more of those cars each year) and therefore the prices on fairly common parts come way down.

Old 05-31-2021, 02:53 PM
Senior Chief

While going thru an area in the garage, I found another 74 GTO Shaker but no base. So, is the 74 Tran Am is only other base that is correct for the 74 GTO? Any others? At the auction coming up, I know the guy had several 74 Tran Ams. Hoping he picked up extra air cleaner. Any pictures showing base of the 74 T/A? Thanks for the help, Steve

Old 06-08-2021, 07:20 PM
Senior Chief

What is the diameter of the 74 GTO air cleaner base? Thanks Steve